Gransnet forums

Health

Hope this may calm some fears

(39 Posts)
vampirequeen Wed 01-Apr-20 07:34:26

We keep hearing about deaths and worst case scenarios and many are understandably very frightened so I thought that it might help if those of us who get it explain what it's like.

DH and I have just had it. We both felt very tired and slept quite a lot. We also had achy long bones which was easily dealt with by paracetamol.

I had a fever for about 24 hours. I flipped between feeling very cold and very hot. I also developed the cough and chestiness. The cough started really suddenly and went just as quickly a few days later. I was a little breathless if I tried to do too much but it wasn't enough to stop me being able to talk. It was more like when you've walked too fast and it only lasted a few minutes if I rested. I had a pain in my chest for about 24 hours. Again not bad or frightening...more annoying. I started on Saturday and today, Wednesday, it's gone completely although we're still quarantined until Friday. I don't have any major health issues apart from obesity.

DH has major issues. He has diabetes, thyroid problems and only one lung that works properly so we were really worried when he also developed the symptoms. His were different to mine in that the virus seemed to attack his throat more than his chest. He had a mild fever and sore throat which he controlled with an anaesthetic throat spray. He still has the sort throat but it's improving.

I'm not suggesting that people don't quarantine or continue lockdown. I'm simply hoping to allay some fears about this new and therefore unknown illness by showing that, even if you have underlying conditions, it's not necessarily going to put you in hospital or worse.

Calendargirl Wed 01-Apr-20 07:39:40

Not meaning to sound obtuse vampirequeen, were you tested or did you assume it was CV?

From your symptoms I’m sure it was, but I still wonder if people never really know if it was or not. How many say they’ve had it when they haven’t, or think they haven’t when they have?

Calendargirl Wed 01-Apr-20 07:40:14

Glad you’re recovering, it’s good to hear a hopeful message.

Bathsheba Wed 01-Apr-20 07:41:34

Can you be sure this was indeed Covid-19? It seems to have come and gone extremely quickly, Saturday-Wednesday. Most reports indicate that symptoms develop more strongly in week two. I do sincerely hope you are I rest and that you have had a mild case and are now free of it. What a huge weight off your mind ?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 01-Apr-20 07:42:11

Thank you vampirequeen, I wish you and your DH a speedy full recovery.

Bathsheba Wed 01-Apr-20 07:42:51

I rest right

Curlywhirly Wed 01-Apr-20 07:43:02

Thanks for sharing that; we mostly hear of the bad cases, so it is good to hear of your positive experience. So pleased all is well.

Juliet27 Wed 01-Apr-20 07:47:21

Certainly sounds like the virus and comforting news that it wasn’t too bad. There have been reports that it can get worse after a few days so hopefully that won’t be the case with you. Any idea where you caught it?

vampirequeen Wed 01-Apr-20 08:31:55

We haven't been tested but the symptoms fitted and it wasn't like anything we've had before. We filled in the NHS questionnaire online and it told us that we probably had it and to quarantine for seven days. That makes us wonder if those who seem to be recovering then get worse again are unlucky otherwise the NHS would say to quarantine for longer.

We don't know where we got it but suspect it was probably Morrisons because people touch the trollies etc. But who knows.

EllanVannin Wed 01-Apr-20 08:49:56

Symptoms are far worse when you're older, I know that much.

Hetty58 Wed 01-Apr-20 08:51:32

I'm sure that shopping is the main avenue of transmission.

dizzyblonde Wed 01-Apr-20 09:05:38

I think I’ve got it, started a week ago. It’s like no other virus I’ve ever had but not as bad as proper flu. Started with the dry cough, temp up and down but not very high, 38 degrees maximum, now weird shortness of breath and extreme tiredness but now not much coughing. Loss of taste, abdo pain and mild diarrhoea. It’s like a rollercoaster, one day I’ll feel better then the next day worse.
The think that has. helped me is paracetamol for the aches and a piriton at night.
I’m in my mid 50s with no preexisting conditions.

GrannyLaine Wed 01-Apr-20 09:08:00

Thank you for posting this vampirequeen and I'm glad you're on the mend. My family are all dealing with this in different ways and I have to keep reminding some of them, when the anxiety levels ramp up, that the current lockdown situation is to dramatically reduce the spread of infection to allow the NHS to cope with its most sick patients
The vast majority of those affected will have a mild and manageable illness

BlueBelle Wed 01-Apr-20 09:13:29

I don’t think any of us can be sure we have had the virus unless tested many many people are saying they think they ve had it including my brother in law but unless tested you don’t know and there are many strains of flu around at the moment I certainly wouldn’t be as confident as you vampirequeen I hope it was because it was short and not very sharp and you will now be immune but I just wouldn’t dare make such a big
assumption

We ALL need testing there could be hundreds of us immune that could be doing useful work

Some people have a natural immunity some people have had it and are now immune but without a test we are all sitting here being totally useless

suziewoozie Wed 01-Apr-20 09:16:35

I’m glad it wasn’t too bad for you vq but actually it doesn’t help me at all. I understand all the statistics and probabilities and the possible range of severity. I just don’t want to get it all regardless of stories like yours. My behaviour is predicated upon the fact it could kill me and I don’t want to die yet.

harrigran Wed 01-Apr-20 09:35:06

There are a lot of viruses doing the rounds at present, any one of them could be mistaken for THE virus.
I was talking to family on video yesterday and DS and one GD had the same symptoms, they have not left the house in two weeks so difficult to know where it came from.
Do not become blase just in case.

Grammaretto Wed 01-Apr-20 09:50:10

That is very good news Vampirequeen but I am still not reassured I am afraid, as every case is different.
I have just heard from my Spanish friend that she has lost 3 of her relations to this terrible illness.
Others have said they had a relapse on day 8. The virus is already mutating.

OK I realise this is scare stuff but my DH has cancer, diabetes and is mid 70s so we are not taking any chances.
This is not to save ourselves, though that would be a bonus, but rather neither to be a burden on the NHS nor to die in one of those field hospitals popping up around the country without any farewells.

vampirequeen Wed 01-Apr-20 10:34:11

I wasn't suggesting that anyone drop their guard. I was simply pointing out that there is another side to it. The media/gov need to keep us focussed on the deaths because it keeps us motivated to stick with lockdown. If they start to say that most people will be OK a lot of idiots will assume they're safe and won't give a damn about others. But some people, who would never dream of breaking lockdown, are very afraid and I hoped my story would help them. DH is on the danger list but his symptoms were mild.

MawB Wed 01-Apr-20 10:40:12

Wishing you well Dizzyblonde, fingers crossed for your speedy recovery - am I right in thinking you work in the NHS?

dizzyblonde Wed 01-Apr-20 11:05:31

I do MawB, although obviously in Illinois at the moment. Hoping to get a test at some point then I can of more use with vulnerable relatives and friends.

dizzyblonde Wed 01-Apr-20 11:07:03

Isolation not Illinois, goodness only knows what my autocorrect was thinking.?

grandMattie Wed 01-Apr-20 11:11:48

I agree we need to test more. But what worries me is if one has tested negative, another or more tests need to be done in case one eventually gets it. Seems better use of scarce resources to test those with symptoms or who have recovered. Except for NHS workers and such. (Dives for cover)

M0nica Wed 01-Apr-20 11:12:00

Why are so many people keen to convince themselves that VQ and DH didn't have Covid-19?

Do you not want the reassurance that even for older people with underlying problems it can still be a relatively mild illness, disappointed that they are not both in hospital on ventilators fighting for their lives?

notanan2 Wed 01-Apr-20 11:16:43

Most people admitted to the NHS with symptoms severe enough to warrant admission for "suspected Covid" have tested negative.

So people should not be declaring that they've had it!
MIGHT have had it, sure.
But there are lots of flus and other respiratory bugs going around. And if Doctors cant tell the difference until test results come back then individuals certainly cannot diagnose themselves.

Yes you need to follow isolation advice. For ANY cough/temp. Ad it MIGHT be Covid. But could easily ne something else.

And dont assume youre now immune either just because youve had A respiratory bug

MawB Wed 01-Apr-20 11:18:42

Dizzyblonde I did wonder! gringrin
Autocorrect can have a mind of its own, can’t it?