Gransnet forums

Health

Lisprinol

(7 Posts)
Franbern Mon 06-Apr-20 13:07:01

When I was put on one of these ACE inhibitors many years ago, I developed a dreadful cough, had bouts when I was totally out of control with it. Local Professor at Chest Hospital tracked this cough to these tablets and under his orders GP changed my medication. Took nearly three months for it to completely leave my system, and since then have been on two other BP meds with no side effects whatsoever, but good control of my GP. My GP was told by the Professor that I was never again to put on any meds ending in 'pril'.

growstuff Sun 05-Apr-20 19:33:56

nannyof4 A cough is a very common side effect of all ACE inhibitors, which is what Lisinopril is. Was the other tablet for high blood pressure too?

I had the same thing with Perindopril (also an ACE inhibitor). It took about a month before it went.

Unless you have a high temperature, I wouldn't worry too much about it being anything more sinister. However, I'm not a medic and, if you can, I would try to get a telephone consultation with your GP.

nannyof4 Sun 05-Apr-20 11:07:21

Hi Alishka.
This cough is a side effect of the tablet i was taking,i had the same cough with another tablet a while ago too.

growstuff Sun 05-Apr-20 00:46:28

A dry cough is a common side effect of Lisinopril, like all ACE inhibitors for high blood pressure. nannyof4 Your GP should have offered you an alternative from a different class of drugs.

grannyactivist Sun 05-Apr-20 00:42:22

nannyof4 three to four weeks is the norm for a Lisinopril cough to go, but it can take up to three months.

I'm a bit surprised at your description of a 'chesty cough' though, as Lisinopril usually is a dry, tickly cough.

Alishka Sat 04-Apr-20 23:22:57

Hello! I take Lisinopril 10mg too, pretty common for high bp at our age I reckon. I wouldn't think that stopping (or even taking) a bp med would affect a chesty cough,why do you think it would?(Genuine question btw)
Pleased your cough is improving, tho.smile

nannyof4 Sat 04-Apr-20 23:06:22

I did write here before to say i was on this BP tablet and the doctor has taken me of it as i got a chesty cough,well the cough is a lot better to what it was,but i do have the odd moment when i have a good cough,how long does it take to get the tablet out of my system.I have been off it 6weeks.