Gransnet forums

Health

I'm feeling very guilty......

(48 Posts)
Trisha57 Tue 07-Apr-20 20:09:05

I suspect this will be a bit controversial when we are all trying to stay as healthy as possible, but is anyone else out there finding they are smoking/drinking/both simply from boredom?

Trisha57 Thu 09-Apr-20 11:18:57

Thank goodness it's just me and my other half to consider. One daughter is on her own in a flat nearby working from home, and the other is still going into work each day at a local care home as she's the Business Administrator and has to make sure the place is able to run as well as possible. They're both finding it stressful in their own ways, but are able to Skype us and we get to see our DGC on the screen. It must be so hard to feel as if you are the main support for so many others, or if you are on your own and feeling isolated.

Lavazza1st Wed 08-Apr-20 17:25:31

I wish I did have food left over from Christmas, that must be great! Problem is we are feeding my son and his family who are waiting in the long queue for Universal Credit and also my Dad who never seems to have cash when we take his shopping round.

I do have weight to lose, so it's probably just as well that I have no snacks, but I could murder a pack of crisps... Im feeling quite hungry as all I've had today is a slimfast (breakfast) and some ryvita with marmite for lunch. I need to weigh myself as I was losing weight before all this started....and now, who knows. Stress can make you put on weight...

Smileless2012 Wed 08-Apr-20 14:33:42

I'm not smoking or drinking anymore than I was before the lock down.

grannyactivist Wed 08-Apr-20 14:31:03

gillybob you've been through so many turbulent times that you must be a remarkably resilient woman to not only have made it through, but to have carried your family along with you. I do hope a day will come when all of these troubles are behind you and your life is no longer such a struggle. flowers

gillybob Wed 08-Apr-20 14:17:50

I daren’t meet my DD for a walk CurlyWhirly as my little granddaughter would want me to hold her hand /pick her up and smother her with cuddles . She’s not yet 2 and would be very upset if I refused her . As would I . sad

Teetime Wed 08-Apr-20 14:16:27

I'm one of the naughty girls who is having wine every day, eating too many snacks especially chocolate. I am married to Head Boy who takes nothing into the body that has no business being there and it just makes me so much WORSE! grin

Maggiemaybe Wed 08-Apr-20 14:10:54

I meant to add that I'm never bored, even when I'm busy doing nothing.

Maggiemaybe Wed 08-Apr-20 14:08:44

sodapop, I still sometimes crave a cig after a lovely meal, and I gave up cold turkey over 40 years ago. I was a 30 a day girl with a great line in elaborate smoke rings.

I enjoy a drink but am disciplined. I stick to the 14 unit guideline apart from on high days and holidays, and that still applies. I do the 5:2 fast so have two alcohol free days a week. Lord, that makes me sound so po-faced. grin

Strangely, I'm eating a lot less between meals than I normally do. And I'm exercising more, in front of various YouTube videos. I've actually lost a couple of pounds since this started. I had to sit most of the first week out in my bedroom because of a cough, and being away from the kitchen helped break the snacking habit!

Doodledog Wed 08-Apr-20 13:47:29

I don't smoke, and am not drinking, but only because I know that if I did it would soon become a routine, then a slippery slope.

I do need to build some exercise into my day, though. I am sitting about far too much, and often find that I've barely left the sofa between getting up and going back to bed.

Trisha57 Wed 08-Apr-20 13:41:16

Lavazza1st The biscuits and cake are home made (I always have a good store of flour/dried fruit in the pantry so haven't had to scour shelves in the supermarket looking for them) so maybe I should stop making them and have a miserable DH instead? Crisps were bought in bulk for Christmas long before the virus struck, but nobody ate them and believe it or not they are still in date. We eat nutritionally balanced meals too - with home grown veg where possible.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 08-Apr-20 12:41:08

I don’t smoke or drink but I am eating a lot more. And as I’m not allowed to go out walking , I’m finding bits to do at home, I’m exercising quite a bit up and down stairs far more than I ever did, but I can honestly say hand on heart I’m not bored, I write a long list every morning of what I can do and tick off one by one, I’m eating naughty things as well as healthy things, but don’t feel guilty, and coping the best way for me

Lavazza1st Wed 08-Apr-20 12:29:41

No.

When I hear people talking about snacking I am wondering how they get the snacks? I am shopping for 4 generations and can only manage one trolley so am only buying actual nourishing foods. I am only visiting the supermarket once a week due to fears of cross contamination and I am disinfecting everything I buy, which is exhausting.

How are people managing to get extra and still have time to disinfect everything? Maybe I'm missing something!

Gymstagran Wed 08-Apr-20 12:22:24

Fortunately I dont smoke. I did have a drink with family, virtually, to celebrate granddaughters birthday. I am trying hard not to eat too much. However, with food deliveries hard to get , dates unreliable and restrictions on going out, I am focused on food more than usual.

May7 Wed 08-Apr-20 10:50:38

My elderly parents never been ones to drink much only occasionally at xmas. Now they are ploughing through their old xmas stock. One drink a night each. Brandy for dad sherry for mum. I think they are quite enjoying it and its helping them sleep. Some of their brandy is about 20yrs old though so hope it's ok??

henetha Wed 08-Apr-20 09:48:02

No temptation to smoke, gave it up over 40 years ago, thank goodness.
Well, I did have a small sherry about a week ago. And I might dig out an old bottle of vermouth today and have a martini.

tiredoldwoman Wed 08-Apr-20 09:46:03

Yes, I'm running an all day buffet in Le Cafe Solitaire , I'm my own best customer .

ArtySue Wed 08-Apr-20 09:42:40

None of those vices (yet, but time will tell...) but gave up wearing my bra for a while. ? Felt wonderful for the first week, dubious at the start of the second week and horrible by the end of that week. Trussed up again now. 66-year-old 38D not a pretty sensation when set free... ?

Trisha57 Wed 08-Apr-20 09:40:29

I'm a 20 a day smoker too, Granny23 and it's hard to break the habit when stress levels are high. I don't snack, though my husband does continuously as that's his weakness. He can't have a cup of tea without biscuits, cakes that I make disappear overnight and crisps and nuts keep him happily occupied while he does his jigsaw (a new hobby!) I guess we all have our vices, but I do feel that I'm putting myself, my DH and the NHS even more at risk by not being tip-top healthy. sad

Toadinthehole Wed 08-Apr-20 08:46:50

I have had the urge to buy a bottle of Bailey’s. The only thing stopping me is the migraine I know it’ll give me. The only way round it is to drink loads of water at the same time, which kind of misses the point.

sodapop Wed 08-Apr-20 08:43:07

Fortunately I was able to give up smoking 40 years ago, I still have the odd pang when I smell cigarette smoke, strange isn't it.
Not much of a drinker apart from a G&T occasionally but I am eating more. Wish I could say it was fruit and healthy stuff but its crisps and chocolate, no willpower.

Luckygirl now I'm intrigued about your secret guilty pleasure is it X-rated grin

Granny23 Wed 08-Apr-20 08:34:30

People were aware that I liked the occasional cigarette but now I have been found out as the totally addicted 20 a day smoker that I am. Having to rely on family to do my shopping has exposed by £50+ per week habit. Indeed, being home alone and worried has increased my daily ration. Big sister (who has never been a smoker) thinks this is the ideal time to stop, DDs are refusing to buy them for me. but I am kept supplied by a supposedly secret smoking SonOutLaw.

NfkDumpling Wed 08-Apr-20 08:16:40

No.

I gave up smoking 47 years ago when I first got pregnant. I do like the occasional drink, but it hasn't increased as DH is banned from alcohol now. Now we're spending more time indoors we're having more tea breaks and a tea or coffee without a biscuit is difficult.

Pikachu Wed 08-Apr-20 08:10:05

There is a serious point behind the OP’s post. In times of stress it’s easy to reach for a comforter. Whatever your poison, drink, nicotine, food or watching the neighbours, it can be a slippery path and being aware helps.

We all cope in different ways with this unusual situation.

M0nica Wed 08-Apr-20 07:50:17

No, In my university days I smoked about one cigarette a week, but since then I haven't bothered. As for alcohol, it is generally over-rated. so feel no desire to increase my limited consumption.

Life is continuing much as normal, as far as we are concerned. Many of our societies and activities have gone online. I continue my Tai Chi online with my usual tutor, so we are not eating or drinking any differently either.

morethan2 Wed 08-Apr-20 07:38:24

We have or should I say did have around 40 bottles of wine stored away thanks to Waitrose special offers. We don’t really drink vast amounts but we do drink socially. I had a bit of a shock a few days ago when I realised the stock had gone down considerably. Worse still a whole bottle of gin has been drunk.
Since there it’s only my husband and myself here we’ve obviously turned into a pair of lushes. It’s forced me to take stock and eeer cut down