Gransnet forums

Health

I'm feeling very guilty......

(47 Posts)
Trisha57 Tue 07-Apr-20 20:09:05

I suspect this will be a bit controversial when we are all trying to stay as healthy as possible, but is anyone else out there finding they are smoking/drinking/both simply from boredom?

Luckygirl Tue 07-Apr-20 20:12:40

No! - I have neither smoked ever not drunk for the last 40 odd years! What vices do I have? - ah, well that would be telling!

I am going to sound like a headmistress here, but boredom truly is a state of mind rather than a reality. I can honestly say that I get to the end of each day and have not had time to do all I might have wished to. If you want any suggestions, please ask!

Exits to polish halo. smile

Starblaze Tue 07-Apr-20 20:15:22

Now is the time to read the Alan Carr book

annep1 Tue 07-Apr-20 20:21:09

I am deliberately only having wine with dinner every other night, just in case it becomes a crutch.
Find something to do. There are lots of hobbies to choose from, nows the time!

GagaJo Tue 07-Apr-20 20:23:08

My daughter who would have the occasional cig once GS was in bed, has turned into a regular smoker. She's finished the Christmas gin, too (the fact it's been there since Christmas shows she's not a HUGE drinker!). I'm eating more than I should, although also forget to eat until about 2/3pm.

merlotgran Tue 07-Apr-20 20:23:53

DH has never smoked. I dabbled a bit in my late teens thinking it was cool to smoke Peter Stuyvesants but sore throats made me realise it was a daft thing to do.

We both like a drink but because our lifestyle hasn't really changed as we're used to isolated living, we are not drinking any more than usual.

merlotgran Tue 07-Apr-20 20:25:37

I have developed a rather worrying addiction to ready salted crisps though. grin

SueDonim Tue 07-Apr-20 21:20:41

Nope. I grew up in a house full of smokers and it never appealed. No one drank alcohol except at Xmas, and I have followed that diktat.

I’ve not even been that hungry. confused

Dottygran59 Tue 07-Apr-20 21:31:07

I am, Trisha. Not drinking but definitely smoking more. Simply because I can as am WFH. Not a massive amount and will revert to normal when back at work. I am exercising much more though.

Grammaretto Tue 07-Apr-20 21:57:37

I am having a G&T, with ice and lemon, every evening at the same time. We mustn't let civilisation slide must we even those who have to drink alone. grin

the bottles build up because the recycle collection has stopped

Millie22 Tue 07-Apr-20 22:02:46

No don't smoke or drink very much but definitely eating a lot more!

Grandmafrench Tue 07-Apr-20 22:03:26

You're so right, Grammaretto, we strive not to let the standards slip even in these worrying times. Cheers grin

Curlywhirly Tue 07-Apr-20 22:20:58

Don't smoke, and only drink (not much) at weekends and no more than before lockdown, but, am eating more crisps and biscuits. I'm fine all day, but start getting the munchies about 7.30pm. I do try to ignore my craving, but fail every bloody night! Must try harder ?

BlueBelle Tue 07-Apr-20 22:23:42

I m eating more

vampirequeen Tue 07-Apr-20 22:26:27

Apparently a lot of people are eating, drinking and smoking more than usual. I guess it's a reaction to all the changes and stress.

I don't smoke or drink but I am having to fight the urge to eat more.

Auntieflo Tue 07-Apr-20 22:28:19

Have never smoked, and rarely drink, but I did find a couple of cans of a Mojito cocktail, left over from Christmas, so DH and I had one each tonight

JuliaM Tue 07-Apr-20 22:46:39

I have never smoked since l was 17 and a cadet nurse at our local hospital, l once got lost whilst on an errand to collect some sample pots for the skin clinic l was seconded to, and ended up walking into a path lab where they were dissecting a set of lungs from a smoker, and the image stayed in my mind and put me off smoking for life!
Im only a minimal drinker as well, most weeks l never touch a drop, mostly due to the restrictions of the medications im on. My downfall is good quality low sugar chocolate, l found a box of the Hotel Chocolat less sugar chocolates that my daughter bought me last Christmas, and l have been happily nibbling through those this week. The only problem isthoughthaton e they have gone, l cannot get anymore for the forseeable future as the manufacturer has closed down the production line for the 'less Sugar'range.
Ordinary Chocolate plays havoc with my blood sugar levels, and leaves me feeling rather drowsy.

Sussexborn Tue 07-Apr-20 22:54:03

Never smoked and rarely drink. We do start thinking about our evening meal much earlier.

Came close to not getting dressed yesterday but thought better of it about 4pm. Have to keep my standards up!

Greymar Tue 07-Apr-20 22:59:57

yeah , sloshed most of the time and Pringles and cake.

gillybob Tue 07-Apr-20 23:12:07

I’ve never smoked in my life . Don’t intend to start.

I never touched a drop of alcohol for 4 -5 months (while my DH was in hospital) but have suddenly started to have a glass or 3 most nights ..... the reason being that I can’t face the harsh reality of what lies ahead. Seeing our little business of almost 30 years collapse , the lack of money , my DD crying to me on the phone 3, 4 ,5 or more times every day and everything else going on . ..... Its just too much to bear and I fail to think what mental health problems lay ahead .

maddyone Tue 07-Apr-20 23:14:40

I don’t smoke so that isn’t a temptation. I drink at weekends usually but am really missing my daughter in law because we could polish off a bottle of wine or Prosseco each weekend between us. I’m not eating more, I haven’t much appetite because of all the stress, but I am finding it difficult to get going in the morning. I’m afraid I wear my pyjamas pretty much all morning every day.

Curlywhirly Wed 08-Apr-20 07:35:16

Gillybob can you not meet your daughter each day for a walk? Obviously, it would have to be somewhere where you could be 2 metres apart - a local park? On our dog walk yesterday we met 2 of our friends who are sisters with their own families. They were keeping a safe distance, but having a chat, no problem.

morethan2 Wed 08-Apr-20 07:38:24

We have or should I say did have around 40 bottles of wine stored away thanks to Waitrose special offers. We don’t really drink vast amounts but we do drink socially. I had a bit of a shock a few days ago when I realised the stock had gone down considerably. Worse still a whole bottle of gin has been drunk.
Since there it’s only my husband and myself here we’ve obviously turned into a pair of lushes. It’s forced me to take stock and eeer cut down

M0nica Wed 08-Apr-20 07:50:17

No, In my university days I smoked about one cigarette a week, but since then I haven't bothered. As for alcohol, it is generally over-rated. so feel no desire to increase my limited consumption.

Life is continuing much as normal, as far as we are concerned. Many of our societies and activities have gone online. I continue my Tai Chi online with my usual tutor, so we are not eating or drinking any differently either.

Pikachu Wed 08-Apr-20 08:10:05

There is a serious point behind the OP’s post. In times of stress it’s easy to reach for a comforter. Whatever your poison, drink, nicotine, food or watching the neighbours, it can be a slippery path and being aware helps.

We all cope in different ways with this unusual situation.