Gransnet forums

Health

Pain when I breath.

(18 Posts)
Bopeep14 Fri 10-Apr-20 06:33:44

I have since Monday had a pain in my shoulder blade, which hurts when I breath and sometimes when I move, I have a slight cough but nothing that isn’t normal to me, no temperature.

I tried all day yesterday to get through to my GP but no luck, It’s now the bank holiday weekend, still in pain but it’s manageable.

Asked Dr Google and it came up with pleurisy, should I battle on and see how I go.

I really do not want to put more pressure on our stretched NHS, if it’s nothing serious and it will go away on it’s own.

How long should I wait?

Jane10 Fri 10-Apr-20 06:47:20

Phone NHS 24 and take it from there

Granulation Fri 10-Apr-20 07:13:09

Good heavens, I could have written this myself a few weeks ago. I had what sounds just the same pain behind my right shoulder blade. It hurt when I breathed deeply, moved, coughed or when I walked and was breathing more heavily. I did feel slightly breathless but maybe because it was hurting I was breathing more shallowly. I had also had slightly prickly eyes and a scratchy throat before this, as if I was coming down with something, but it didn’t turn into anything. I have had pleurisy before, and thought that’s what it probably was. I did end up consulting 111 website when it didn’t go away, and settled under my arm/ribs on one side and niggled on the other. After answering loads of questions, 111 told me to phone 999! So I backtracked and changed a couple of answers to questions that didn’t really ‘fit’. Then it said call GP. Long story short, phone consultation suggested either pleurisy or costochondritis. Unlikely to be COVID 19 related. Dr Google said costochondritis is in completely different part of chest. It has virtually gone now. I hope that helps, and you feel better soon. If you don’t, 111 or GP. ?

EllanVannin Fri 10-Apr-20 07:23:11

You can actually have really bad pain with pleurisy as well as a fever caused by the pain along with breathlessness. Pleurisy is quite bad if that's what you've got. It also affects the chest causing you to cough.

If you've had this since Monday, to my mind, it won't be pleurisy as you wouldn't stand the pain for so long.

NanKate Fri 10-Apr-20 07:27:18

It sounds like pleurisy to me having had it for 5 weeks in January this year. I had a perpetual cough and a pain in my shoulder blade too. I went to the Emergency walk in and the Doctors that week and they both said it was pleurisy and that I had to be patient as it often lasts a number of weeks. I was also told to rest as much as possible and take painkillers.

Keep a note of any other symptoms you get and phone 111 if things start to get worse.

Good luck.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Apr-20 07:27:30

Could be a pulled muscle.

Marydoll Fri 10-Apr-20 07:36:53

There is no use speculating on here, as it could be a number of thing and the majority of people posting are not doctors.
If you are posting on here, you must be worried.
As suggested, phone NHS 24.
Sorry if this seems harsh, but we need to be vigilant in these times.
A friend was taken to hospital yesterday, she thought all week, she had a chest infection, when in fact she has Covid 19.

Pikachu Fri 10-Apr-20 07:47:36

Not good that you couldn’t get through to GP.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Apr-20 08:43:01

True marydoll

Fiachna50 Fri 10-Apr-20 09:30:28

Please don't leave this, phone 111 and just keep on the line till you get through. Sorry, I don't mean to sound alarmist, but if it is pleurisy(and Im not a doctor, so I don't know) you will need a doctor.

M0nica Fri 10-Apr-20 09:39:36

Whatever it is you need medical advice, not advice from us, beyond the advice to seek medical advice.

Nonnie Fri 10-Apr-20 09:45:07

I agree with those who say get medical advice. GN is great for some things but you can't make a diagnosis on social media

Yiayia4 Fri 10-Apr-20 09:58:55

I also had this type of pain a while ago.
No cough just pain, the doctor said it was coming from my back as I have spinal arthritis, saw Physio she said arthritis in neck and cervical spine,lots of excersise and painkillers its feeling better but took weeks,it was also very tender to touch,but not hurting to breath.
Hope this helps but your GP is the only one that will know.

Bopeep14 Fri 10-Apr-20 12:43:50

Managed to get through to my GP this morning(bless them they are working the bank holiday) and was told to take paracetamol for the pain and rest.
Ring back in a week if no better.
Thank you all for your sound advice.

harrigran Fri 10-Apr-20 19:12:02

I had pain in back and only a slight cough, turned out I had a clot in my lung. It was an oncology nurse that second guessed what it was and took me to a doctor.

MawB Fri 10-Apr-20 19:26:07

I think it is (potentially) incredibly to ask a load of people who do not know you, have no qualifications , possibly only with anecdotal experience, and cannot examine you for advice on a medical issue which may or may not be serious!
You *shouldn't “wait” and Dr Google is not the right medium for a diagnosis to be interpreted by a layperson!

Fiachna50 Fri 10-Apr-20 19:30:51

Hope you feel better soon, but if not, phone them back. Have a nice Easter.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 10-Apr-20 19:35:56

I would get medical advice. I wouldn’t be asking on this forum good luck to you, hope it improves very soon