Gransnet forums

Health

IBS - cauliflower cheese trigger?

(14 Posts)
Cabbie21 Fri 10-Apr-20 10:24:32

We have this meal once a week on Thursdays ( DH likes routine ). Every week now without fail I get diarrhoea within an hour of eating cauliflower cheese. Just once usually, then all is calm again. It has happened for about two months now. I can't understand why, as all the ingredients are ones I can safely eat at other times. Admittedly I normally don't eat much cauli as it is one of my triggers, so I fill out the meal with potato, hard boiled egg, maybe bacon.
Perhaps is it the cheese sauce? I have no problem with uncooked cheese.
My IBS is usually well under control, as I have a fairly limited diet. I take meveberine ( anti-spasmodic ).

Does anyone else find cauli cheese has this effect?

joannapiano Fri 10-Apr-20 11:08:45

Cauliflower and eggs are a big no no for my IBS !

Cabbie21 Fri 10-Apr-20 19:54:03

Thanks. IBS affects us all differently, doesn’t it? Eggs are fine for me, though I limit cauliflower.

shysal Fri 10-Apr-20 21:14:41

My tummy is often upset after eating cheese sauce. I usually use Red Leicester which is quite oily when melted

Cabbie21 Fri 10-Apr-20 21:58:18

Yes I am thinking it must be the cheese sauce. I use mature cheddar for flavour and a Red Leicester for colour.

MissAdventure Fri 10-Apr-20 22:07:38

I'm not diagnosed with ibs (although certain "issues" suggest I may have it) but cooked cheese absolutely plays up my hiatus hernia.

I get terrible indigestion, as much as I wish it wasn't so.

JackyB Sat 11-Apr-20 11:33:57

I keep well away from cauliflower. I do love it but after eating it I feel like my tummy is going to explode.

BlueSky Sat 11-Apr-20 18:11:53

Cauliflower is a notorious naughty but nice veg. There are a lot of items I cannot eat without problems, they either give me wind or indigestion. When I was younger I used to eat anything, apparently if you start being selective of what you eat this is what happens.

Grandmafrench Sat 11-Apr-20 18:49:53

I can't believe everyone is highlighting my supper.....which we are just about to eat!

No IBS here but definitely a tum which reacts to stress or tension, so I try to be careful. I do have a hiatus hernia which I was told is "mechanical" - i.e. it's something that I need to keep in control by weight watching. If I'm overweight, the problem is quite unpleasant, not overweight and when the pressure is off, I don't suffer any pain from it.

Have you tried Cauliflower cheese in a small quantity and without all the other foods with it? Do you still have the same problem? I'd guess that cheese in a cheese sauce is quite hard to digest for most people, also with cauli, eggs, and potatoes. If you're able to eat these things individually without any reaction, then it's possible that the combination just doesn't work for you.

Our Cauliflower cheese is our own combination. It's cooked and drained for this dish, I make my own cheese sauce with a French 'pretend' grated Cheddar, I use Penne pasta instead of macaroni, and I cook onions and bacon bits together but making sure that the onions are well caramelised because otherwise they disagree with me. The dish is then made up in layers, the top layer being cauli so that I don't scorch the penne, I mix some cream and nutmeg into the cheese sauce which is then put on top. It's then baked in the oven.
In the spirit of some Easter hospitality, I am sending you a trial taste for this evening. Good luck.

Cabbie21 Sat 11-Apr-20 21:56:59

Sound delicious, Grandmafrench. I hope you enjoyed it and did not have any ill effects.

geekesse Sat 11-Apr-20 23:16:48

“Every week now without fail I get diarrhoea within an hour of eating cauliflower cheese.” —> “cauli [...] is one of my triggers”

I think the OP answered her own query.

Grandmafrench Mon 13-Apr-20 21:08:26

It was really good, Cabbie - and I'm upright and able to tell the tale....no ill effects. You make sure you take care of your tum; food allergies or intolerances are a real drag and when you have a bad stomach, you can generally feel unwell all over. Need to stay safe and strong in these terrible times. flowers

Cabbie21 Tue 14-Apr-20 17:40:12

Not quite, geekesse. Cauli as a veg does not give me diarrhoea, just makes me a bit bloated. It has to be the sauce. Or maybe just cooked cheese.

SirChenjin Tue 14-Apr-20 18:19:45

Are you ok with dairy products and flour? Do you put mustard in the cheese sauce? DD has severe IBS and that meal would have her in the loo for days - so many things there that trigger her’s.