Gransnet forums

Health

Weird Reaction

(21 Posts)
BlueSky Mon 13-Apr-20 13:09:40

I'm just coming round from a weird reaction to one of my usua BP tablets. As I was swallowing it, it seem to go the wrong way and I started coughing and spluttering. It took a few glasses of water and a cup of tea but I could still taste it at the back of my throat. Soon after I started to feel really tired, my heart rate was up and I was sweating. Went to bed and I'm feeling am over the worst now but wonder what on earth happened? By the way it's a small tablet so I shouldn't have any difficulty!

EllanVannin Mon 13-Apr-20 13:21:20

What medication is it ?

EllanVannin Mon 13-Apr-20 13:23:40

You could have unknowingly panicked when it went down the wrong way as this would increase the reaction you suffered.

BlueSky Mon 13-Apr-20 13:36:49

It's amlodipine 5mg and I have had a similar reaction to it when it had been the increased to 10mg but lasting all night. Thanks Ellan

rosenoir Mon 13-Apr-20 13:52:12

I am not a medical person so this is just a guess, could it have dissolved in your throat rather than your stomach? it would have been absorbed into your bloodstream differently.

MiniMoon Mon 13-Apr-20 13:55:55

The effects you mention are common side effects to Amlodipine. Flushing, sweating, tachycardia.
I know it's difficult in the present circumstances, but it might be an idea to talk it over with your GP as there are other calciun-channel blockers that might be more suitable.
It was trial and error with my husband until they found one to suit him.

EllanVannin Mon 13-Apr-20 13:58:01

Okay, BlueSky. I know BP drugs make you tired and in fact can give you symptoms of what they were meant for in the first place. If you haven't been taking them long, give them chance to kick-in to your system but of course, say after 6 weeks you're still not happy get in touch with your GP to get them changed.
BP tablets are pretty hit and miss with some side-effects and don't suit everyone.

EllanVannin Mon 13-Apr-20 13:59:57

I don't get on with Atenolol.

BlueSky Mon 13-Apr-20 14:02:47

Rosenoir I guess that could have happened dissolved in throats rather than stomach so perhaps I had an hit of it? Whatever next? Thanks all for your suggestions.

Luckygirl Mon 13-Apr-20 14:42:38

Propranalol is a real pain to swallow - it is a tiny tablet, but if it gets the slightest bit damp in your mouth before you swallow it down then it sticks like superglue to that spot and gradually dissolves there, causing pain and a foul taste. This happened to my OH many times - he had PD - and I had to administer it in a spoonful of yoghurt.

BlueSky Mon 13-Apr-20 14:50:14

Luckygirl yes this tablet must be similar it seems to start dissolving very quickly, once I spat it out as it dissolved before I even swallowed. Hope you are coping all right flowers

ninathenana Mon 13-Apr-20 17:56:05

I take Amlodipine along with other tables. I swallow three of my tablets at a time. I know one has a foul taste if it doesn't go straight down. I never knew which it was. I'm guessing this is the one.

Fennel Mon 13-Apr-20 18:21:46

"it seems to start dissolving very quickly".
Same here with Amlodipine. Taken with Atenolol they seem to make me tired too so I take them at night when in bed.
I asked the Dr. about it once and he'd never heard of this reaction.

BlueSky Mon 13-Apr-20 19:46:30

Nina how can you possibly swallow three tablets together when I choke on one? I'm now nervous about swallowing them, I already take soluble paracetamol because I had a similar problem with it.

Luckygirl Mon 13-Apr-20 22:22:18

Spoonful of yoghurt is the way to go.

Alexa Mon 13-Apr-20 22:47:41

If a capsule or tablet gets stuck in my throat I find it helps to get it down if I swallow a small bit of bread and then some more water

wildswan16 Tue 14-Apr-20 06:37:26

I tend to take tablets with a mouthful of chewed up food rather than water. Then swallow some water afterwards.

Chew up some bread or biscuit etc until soft and squidgy, pop in tablet and swallow altogether. Seems to stop the tablet starting to dissolve and tasting horrible or getting stuck.

Hetty58 Tue 14-Apr-20 06:50:34

Amlodipine was the first of many BP tablets I tried. I just couldn't keep them down, always threw up after taking them. My friend took them for years, despite swollen feet and ankles!

ninathenana Tue 14-Apr-20 07:49:44

Bluesky they are only small. I swallow them with a big gulp of milk rather than water.
DD is like you, she has to tilt her head back and sort of throw a tablet down her throat.

BlueSky Tue 14-Apr-20 11:05:59

Thanks for all your suggestions. This morning I was anxious so took them with a large glass of water one sip before I started. Good to know there are other options like in a spoonful of soft food. Never had this problem before, not sure it's associated with anxiety or just ageing.

Eloethan Tue 14-Apr-20 12:16:05

Luckygirl The yoghurt tip is useful.