Gransnet forums

Health

Is gransnet helping to stave off dementia? Lighthearted.

(20 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Mon 20-Apr-20 11:16:19

So true Izabella

Izabella Mon 20-Apr-20 11:03:44

Well some of us already have that unwelcome diagnosis, but forgive me if unable to join in the lightheartedness!

PamelaJ1 Sun 19-Apr-20 17:01:36

Shelmiss, I fear you are right.?

Shelmiss Sun 19-Apr-20 16:45:13

PamelaJ1 I think you’re fighting a losing battle with some on here wink

I’m with you though - GN has certainly been giving me a laugh recently and challenging the old grey cells. grin

TrendyNannie6 Sun 19-Apr-20 16:37:03

Unfortunately I’m not so sure you can just starve off dementia we had a very close family member that walked miles ate very healthily non smoker non drinker, and still succumbed to it, and later after many many years died of it . so lighthearted it certainly was not!

Callistemon Fri 17-Apr-20 21:11:33

Well, I was just thinking that my dear relative, who has always done crosswords, puzzles, sudoku etc, taken a great interest in some hobbies and exercised more than most, although never had any interest in having a computer, has rapidly progressing dementia.
sad

Izabella Fri 17-Apr-20 17:41:12

I note the title of your thread, but from where I am sitting Dementia is anything but lighthearted, whichever way you look at it.

PamelaJ1 Fri 17-Apr-20 14:44:03

Yggdrasil, it’s not working for you then?

yggdrasil Fri 17-Apr-20 12:11:19

I have my threads set so the most recent is at the top.
I can't remember how I did it though :-)

Callistemon Fri 17-Apr-20 10:35:35

Well, I have learnt something from GN
That my skim reading skills are not what they used to be.

Then, reading about everyone rushing around cleaning everything in sight, I realise that my cleaning skills have waned too grin

PamelaJ1 Fri 17-Apr-20 08:57:03

Well I’m off to clean the bathroom floor. That’ll lighten and brighten something. Might get rid of a few calories anyway.?

BradfordLass73 Fri 17-Apr-20 07:26:41

Better to spend time on things that brighten or enlighten your day.

Ah, so no Gransnet then, Sussexborn ? grin grin grin

Pamela nor does mine smile

PamelaJ1 Fri 17-Apr-20 06:35:34

Oh dear Sussex, my humour just doesn’t work on GN.

Sussexborn Thu 16-Apr-20 23:02:40

Read whatever you find interesting. There is no compulsion to read the very long diatribes if you find them tedious. Better to spend time on things that brighten or enlighten your day.

Callistemon Thu 16-Apr-20 22:59:12

MawB and Chewbacca

grin

Chewbacca Thu 16-Apr-20 22:41:51

I said that exact thing on a thread this morning Maw! grin

MawB Thu 16-Apr-20 22:00:27

I doubt it - I frequently find myself wondering if I am living in a parallel,universe.

lemongrove Thu 16-Apr-20 21:52:40

Who wants to scroll through 17 pages before they make a comment?!
It’s fair enough to reply directly to the OP, in my view.
Yes ? probably good to do anything that involves having a think for us oldies.

Septimia Thu 16-Apr-20 20:19:29

I can't follow long discussions - or can't be bothered to. I always look for newish threads which haven't got too long. I"m not sure it's doing any good to my attention span!

PamelaJ1 Thu 16-Apr-20 20:12:39

We’ve heard a lot about playing table tennis, learning a language, playing mah jong , the list goes on and on.

I find it so hard to follow the threads, especially when they are very long. I get told off for not following a link or can’t work out who has said what and why someone is upset with a poster.

I’m forever scrolling up and down to try and make sense of who has said what and when.
Is this doing my mind some good?

I hope so?