Gransnet forums

Health

Streaming eyes

(4 Posts)
dragonfly46 Fri 24-Apr-20 11:21:52

Since I finished chemo at the end of February my eyes have constantly streamed. My oncologist told me he could give me something if they were dry but not as they were constantly wet.
Has anyone any experience of this? Does it clear up on its own?

Eglantine21 Fri 24-Apr-20 11:31:56

My daughter had this. The drain ducts had become blocked. Apparently we water our eyes all the time but it drains out of a tiny hole. Only if it gets blocked the only way is down your face!

It did clear up in time, . Sorry to say I think it was about a year.

If things were different the opthalmist could take a look?

jaylucy Fri 24-Apr-20 11:45:13

This may seem strange , but if you have "dry eyes", that your eyes constantly stream.
What happens is that for some reason, the actual make up of your tears has changed. The lipids that are in tears can decrease for many reasons and when this happens, your tears ducts produce extra to try and help keep the surface of your eye lubricated.
You could try the eye drops for dry eyes that you can buy over the counter from Boots etc and see if it helps. You might also find that a hot pack eye mask that you warm and put over your eyes in the evening may make you more comfortable.
I was a Clinical Opthalmic Assistant for 14 years, and this is quite common. Obviously, if none of these help, have a chat with your GP or even an optometrist- there are some still open for emergencies or they may be able to advise over the phone.

dragonfly46 Fri 24-Apr-20 12:02:27

Thank you jaylucy I am sure it is linked to dry eye. I will get a telephone appointment at the doctor. I have tried dry eye drops and bathing my eyes with a hot flannel as suggested by the optician but it is driving me mad.