Gransnet forums

Health

Covid . alternative cures?

(104 Posts)
starbird Sat 25-Apr-20 14:20:45

I’ve heard that there are scams offering a cure for COVID but are there any ‘alternative’ cures that might help reduce our chances of catching it?

I have heard that pineapples - leaves boiled for an hour and drinking the liquid, or eating any part of them including the core, is a remedy used in many tropical countries to reduce fever and inflammation and is being used by people for Covid as well. ( Bromelain tablets have the same active ingredient).
I also know someone using a homeopathic remedy that she says is widely used in India - again three well known anti inflammatory remedies.
I know that any good diet would help but find it hard to stay away from chocolate!

Jaxjacky Sun 10-Jul-22 22:14:23

Reported

Covidtreatment1 Sun 10-Jul-22 21:30:18

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

grannysyb Sat 02-May-20 09:12:13

Well said janeainsworth

SirChenjin Sat 02-May-20 08:58:00

Exactly janeainsworth

janeainsworth Sat 02-May-20 07:06:50

Not read the whole thread, but I’ll just leave this here.

“If alternative medicine worked, it wouldn’t be alternative. It would be medicine.”
Tim Minchin

SirChenjin Fri 01-May-20 21:10:09

Not quite - www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.sciencealert.com/covid-deaths-are-being-linked-with-vitamin-d-deficiency-here-s-what-that-means/amp Results are interesting but there’s still a bit more to understand in terms of a direct link.

Daisymae Fri 01-May-20 19:22:50

This is a recent review of the potential benefits of Vit D.
Their conculsion is: nclusions: 'We believe, that we can advise Vitamin D supplementation to protect against SARS-CoV2 infection.'
www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-21211/v1
This is nothing new.

MRGUDER Thu 30-Apr-20 10:32:51

If we all limited the time we spent OUTSIDE and STAY indoors then the NHS can concentrate on those who are already sick.

BTW - love your handle(?) SirChenJin - So clever.

Stay safe people.

Franbern Thu 30-Apr-20 09:57:40

Amazes me that at a time when all of the worlds greatest experts in viral diseases are still not able yet to come up with anything that will prevent, aid or treat this new virus, we have so many people on GN - who know the answers.

I know people want and need to BELIEVE in something, anything that will help. But, they should not then be passing on those half-baked theories to other people.

Some who do this, like the Trumpidiot, are very, very dangerous, and have actually caused deaths with their twitters, etc. on disinfectant, etc. But for others, like those on here, if you want to believe in something, that you think is going to help you - then please do so in private.

Me, - well, I will stick just to prescription medicines I have been given by my GP. I have never, and never will, take any non-prescription supplements or use drops of water than have 'memory!!!
I will be reasonably careful about social distancing when out, and wait until the real experts have found a vaccine and a cure.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 28-Apr-20 13:13:47

Just popping up to say that there are some really interesting posts here, and some light-hearted ones which we agree wholeheartedly with (always happy to have an excuse to eat chocolate)... BUT do bear in mind that if you are feeling unwell or suffering from any of the symptoms, it's important to take the advice of a qualified medical professional. There are all sorts of theories flying around but more essential than ever to follow advice from reputable sources such as the NHS or the WHO

Butlins Mon 27-Apr-20 13:50:06

I'm with O'Briain ink{https://youtu.be/YKZN-hBTBUE\youtu.be/YKZN-hBTBU]]E} on this one - there's no such thing as "alternative" medicine. We tested everything, and what works is "medicine". What's left is just a nice bowl of soup and some potpourri (there's a bit of NSFW language in the video).

GrannyLaine Sun 26-Apr-20 17:33:20

....shakes head in utter disbelief at the nonsense still being peddled on here.......
I'm out.

notanan2 Sun 26-Apr-20 17:01:15

Where you have people whose treatment is funded by charity foundations rather than insurance, it may be that only emergency medical treatments can be billed.

Dietetics then would need to be rephrased as energency medical treatments

notanan2 Sun 26-Apr-20 16:51:34

But those studies wont be relevant here

Except to remind us to eat a balanced diet etc

notanan2 Sun 26-Apr-20 16:50:59

There might be, as I said there may be insurance/billing reasons for Drs to call it a "cure"

And they may already have control groups in people who dont get dietician cover there

SirChenjin Sun 26-Apr-20 16:47:26

I’m well aware of what happens with excess vitamin C - hence the “there won’t be though”.

notanan2 Sun 26-Apr-20 16:33:17

You dont suddenly end up in that state that the long term undernourished get to from being acutely ill with CV.

notanan2 Sun 26-Apr-20 16:31:58

If you gave the high dose IV water soluble vit infusion that they give to alcoholics or others with serious deficiencies to you or I, it would not change the amount of those vits our body gets to use Vs our normal diets.

The demographics hardest hit by CV19 in NY are a demographic most likely to have long term underlying deficiencies

notanan2 Sun 26-Apr-20 16:29:27

If by some miracle the trials show that there are fantastic outcomes specific to covid-19 patients as a result of having high levels of IV vitamin

But thats physiologically impossible with water soluble vitamins unless you went IN to hospital seriously deficient (e.g. liver failure/ alcoholics).

You wee out excess. You do not use or store extra

notanan2 Sun 26-Apr-20 16:27:37

The relevance for Joe Public:

Yes, take enough vit C (and the others) as you would for a cold

But dont start chugging endless cartons of OJ. Raised blood sugar is not what you need if you get CV

SirChenjin Sun 26-Apr-20 16:27:06

If by some miracle the trials show that there are fantastic outcomes specific to covid-19 patients as a result of having high levels of IV vitamin and there are no confounding factors then of course the studies need to be done - it would be unethical not to.

There won’t be though.

notanan2 Sun 26-Apr-20 16:25:09

If you deprive a critical care patient of full nutrition, yes they'll do worse....

Its not ground breaking.

BUT drs stateside are working in different circumstances. They may NEED to call basics a "cure" in order to give it to those who are underinsured.

notanan2 Sun 26-Apr-20 16:22:03

Its not a study that needs to be done.

We already know the importance of Vit C (and protein, and everything else) in fighting infection.

It has no relevance to UK care where nutrition and dietition care in critical care is taken for granted.

You cannot absorb extra vit C anyway. Like all water soluble vits anything extra is wasted out in your wee

SirChenjin Sun 26-Apr-20 16:18:42

Cannot be concluded

SirChenjin Sun 26-Apr-20 16:18:03

If some American Dr is giving vitamin C to some patients and not others in order to carry out his own version of an RCT then he is being highly unethical.

Until there are large scale, long term, double blinded, well constructed RCT studies it cannot be claimed that any vitamin supplement contributes directly to the successful treatment of covid.