Gransnet forums

Health

Covid . alternative cures?

(103 Posts)
starbird Sat 25-Apr-20 14:20:45

I’ve heard that there are scams offering a cure for COVID but are there any ‘alternative’ cures that might help reduce our chances of catching it?

I have heard that pineapples - leaves boiled for an hour and drinking the liquid, or eating any part of them including the core, is a remedy used in many tropical countries to reduce fever and inflammation and is being used by people for Covid as well. ( Bromelain tablets have the same active ingredient).
I also know someone using a homeopathic remedy that she says is widely used in India - again three well known anti inflammatory remedies.
I know that any good diet would help but find it hard to stay away from chocolate!

MawB Sat 25-Apr-20 14:24:01

If only!

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 25-Apr-20 14:38:07

Maybe we should run a clinical trial of chocolate v Covid 19?
It might not help, but it certainly couldn’t hurt, especially if we all stay indoors.
It could be delivered straight to our door..........?

EllanVannin Sat 25-Apr-20 15:08:15

I don't see why they can't try tetracycline, which I know is a drug for bacterial infection but surely it could act as an aid with another drug such as quinine ? The Mycins are used for streptococcal infections of the throat, chest and for treating pneumonia.

Given at the first sign of a sore throat would be a start I'm sure.
I don't see the harm in trying/using a bacterial drug for a virus.
If no-one professes to know how to treat this virus how could they refuse something which could prevent infection from entering the lungs via the mouth/throat.?

GP's are too quick in saying they can't give out antibiotics for this that and the other-----that whatever you're suffering is a virus !! They don't know everything. I'd try anything to save a life personally.

Chestnut Sat 25-Apr-20 16:14:08

Apparently smoking reduces your chances of getting it. If a smoker does get it then they may get it badly, but the percentage of smokers in the covid wards is far less than the percentage in the population. They think the virus can't latch on as successfully or something. Weird.

GrannyLaine Sat 25-Apr-20 16:17:11

EllanVannin why not email Porton Down and suggest it? They might not have thought of that one.

farview Sat 25-Apr-20 16:36:37

Ellanvannin..I agree with Grannylaine..anything is worth a try..you seem to know what you are talking about ?

grandtanteJE65 Sat 25-Apr-20 16:39:48

As far as I know, no known virus responds to drugs that combat bacterial infections, but of course coronavirus might be the exception.

B9exchange Sat 25-Apr-20 16:45:48

Pity the poor US doctors having to deal with Trump telling them his ideas for a cure - light therapy or injecting disinfectant!!!

Callistemon Sat 25-Apr-20 16:45:51

It is a viral infection, not a bacterial infection.

I wouldn't recommend dark chocolate.
(If I do there will be none left for me when i shop online).

Some people seemed to think that toilet rolls were the answer.

GrannyLaine Sat 25-Apr-20 17:29:35

Or maybe those buying all the pasta are on to something Callistemon?

Jane10 Sat 25-Apr-20 17:32:15

Ah it's hard to beat gargling in TCP!!

Callistemon Sat 25-Apr-20 17:36:44

Oh yes, pasta is the answer.

Wrap yourself in toilet rolls and eat pasta with chocolate.

SueDonim Sat 25-Apr-20 18:31:04

Toilet paper works. You swathe yourself in it from head to toe and the virus doesn’t stand a chance of getting through.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 25-Apr-20 18:38:15

Bring back Izal, nothing would get through that.

MawB Sat 25-Apr-20 18:49:09

Here’s another Bonkers idea

School pupils in Madagascar have been told they face expulsion if they refuse to drink a herbal tea their president claims prevents and cures COVID-19.

Andry Rajoelina, Madagascar’s populist leader, this week launched “COVID-organics” amid great fanfare, particularly on the radio and television stations he owns.

Developed from plants found in abundance on the Indian Ocean island, COVID-organics had allowed Madagascar to succeed where all other countries had failed, he said.

Not only would the product stop anyone who drank it from developing the virus, it would heal anyone who had caught it within seven days, the president told reporters. Two people had already been cured, he added.

“We can change the history of the entire world,” Mr Rajoelina said.
hmmhmm

merlotgran Sat 25-Apr-20 19:38:40

If my turmeric and black pepper vodka keeps coronavirus at bay I'm telling nobody.

There won't be enough to go round. grin

Callistemon Sat 25-Apr-20 20:44:27

You could start a cottage industry merlot.

Personally, I am hoping that this glass of merlot may help.
Its calming me down anyway!

notanan2 Sat 25-Apr-20 20:50:08

Re pineapples, I read that you would have to eat like 12 of them to get a medically significant dose of the active ingredient that people make claims about..

The real cures are boring:
Keeping your blood sugar down is a biggie with covid
Stat hydrated because of the clotting risk
Exercise to keep your lung bases open
Eat a rainbow.

notanan2 Sat 25-Apr-20 20:50:49

Re pineapples, I read that you would have to eat like 12 of them to get a medically significant dose of the active ingredient that people make claims about..

The real cures are boring:
Keeping your blood sugar down is a biggie. So dont eat 12 pineapples!
Stat hydrated
Exercise
Eat a rainbow.

SirChenjin Sat 25-Apr-20 21:19:26

There’s an interesting study about the possibility of subcutaneous nicotine - but not smoking, which obviously kills many more thousands each year than covid-19. Far more research is needed of course.

In the meantime, I’m pretty sure that there are no alternative cures - unless you believe in big pharma and conspiracy theories.

MawB Sat 25-Apr-20 21:20:46

Unicorn milk is also recommended ?

notanan2 Sat 25-Apr-20 21:20:53

Nicotine is a cardiac stimulant.

You need to already be hospital ill to be septic enough that that would make a difference I would have thought

Callistemon Sat 25-Apr-20 22:07:49

Have you ever tried to catch a unicorn MawB?

It's not easy, those alicorns can be very sharp!

Eloethan Sat 25-Apr-20 22:48:42

A doctor was interviewed a week or so ago on TV and he said, with patients whose condition was very serious, he had decided, as a last ditch attempt, to use a drug (can't remember what it was called) that breaks up clots - because, apparently, the virus causes clots in the lungs. He said that it had significantly improved the condition of some patients.

I realise that this is not "proof" that the medication he used is effective in combating the virus - to have that formally recognised would take a considerable time in which extensive trials are carried out. However, when a patient is rapidly deteriorating and there are no other options left, I think it makes sense to try something different - obviously only medications that have been passed as safe.