Gransnet forums

Health

Plantar fasciitis

(52 Posts)
1Appleby Mon 27-Apr-20 09:10:35

Good morning
I’ve been suffering with plantar fasciitis since just before lockdown in just one foot, the right.
Has anyone had this problem? I’ve looked online for how to treat it. I can see that shoes with good support to the heel would help. I do a lot of walking but I find that at the end of our hourly session my foot is very painful and also when I get out of bed in the morning.
Any advice would be appreciated.

SalsaQueen Mon 27-Apr-20 11:04:57

Plantar Faciitis can be agony. I had it years ago, and was told to wear trainers (I had to get rid of all my high heels, which the GP said was the cause). My job then involved a lot of driving, and I had to have 9 weeks off work.

I tried various painkillers, exercises, insoles. In the end, the only thing that helped was steroid injections.

1Appleby Mon 27-Apr-20 11:45:57

Thank you all so much for your advice and suggestions - I will try some now and if no better the others when we come out of lockdown. I’ve looked online for advice for the last couple of weeks, but you Gransnetters have given me so much more. Thank you x

BlueSky Mon 27-Apr-20 11:55:52

My DH used to suffer with it when he was working and doing a lot of driving. A Scholl special insert for this problem helped but it took a while, as well as foot exercises.

Witzend Mon 27-Apr-20 12:01:45

Do try the arch supports you can buy, as per my pp.
Maybe I was just lucky but they gave pretty immediate relief.

LadyGracie Mon 27-Apr-20 12:11:44

Crocs or Fitflops both worked for me.

3nanny6 Mon 27-Apr-20 12:27:59

Very painful condition and I have had it twice, first in left foot and then the right one. Firstly the hospital where I went told me to wear good well supportive trainers, not just outside but in the house as well and not to wear flip-flops or sloppy slippers. Also I found the exercise of rolling the tennis ball under the foot helpful. Mine was so painful that I was prescribed co-codamol which was also helpful.
I could barely put my heel down to walk so if you are doing one hours walking on it I would say to cut that down. Maybe do ten minutes at first and over the weeks build it up. It was weeks before I could walk without pain. I still only wear trainers up to this day and cannot wear any other shoes.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 27-Apr-20 13:12:54

Yes as I said trainers. Good trainers for runners have a shock absorber built into them and are also excellent for protecting your joints that you use for walking. Expensive but worth it

May7 Mon 27-Apr-20 14:53:25

Yes I've had it too in 1978. Lasted 2 yrs. Gp told me to see a podiatrist privately??
No internet at the time so
I used a tennis ball to roll my foot over and bought insoles from Boots. Used Nike trainers and threw away all my flip flops (worse things to wear)
It never came back but I can remember the pain was horrendous.
That cleared it up .

clementine Fri 01-May-20 20:15:55

Had it for over six months awful condition and spent a fortune on different things that were the " miracle " cures. The only thing that totally cured it was shockwave therapy given by the physio . It's sound waves that pulsate through your foot and cause inflammation , which strangely in turn helps . Took five sessions, and has worked really well with no recurrence .

Esspee Sun 03-May-20 21:54:55

Just in case anyone reading this is confused flip flops, the type of cheap sandal bought for the beach or around the pool are very bad for your feet, especially plantar fasciitis. However the expensive range of shoes sold under the brand name Fitflops are wonderful if you are suffering heel pain. The deep cushioning makes walking bearable and I bought an unbranded copy with a similar type of sole which works just as well.

Grannynannywanny Sun 03-May-20 22:08:25

I’ve had a few bouts of it and it’s misery. I found steroid injection very effective while waiting for nhs podiatrist appt for orthotic inserts. Podiatrist advised never to wear sandals that didn’t have a heel strap as the toe action required to walk and hold them on aggravated the problem. So no flip flops or scholl type sandals. I find sketchers very supportive

dontmindstayinghome Sun 03-May-20 22:24:01

I'm suffering from it at the moment and I've tried several different shoe inserts and gel heel cushions which haven't helped.
I'm really surprised that so many find that Sketchers help as it was wearing Skechers training shoes that caused mine in the first place. Apparently they are soft and comfortable to walk in but have very little support for the arches so not good for runners like me!
I went to a professional running shoe suppliers and bought a very good pair of proper training shoes for running. The relief was instant. I can walk (or run) for miles pain free.
Well worth the cost.

1Appleby Sun 03-May-20 22:28:23

Thank you all so much for your very helpful suggestions. I have tried some of them. Also bought a pair of fit flops online - they are very comfortable. It’s got easier with some exercises but I think I will book an appointment with the Doctor after we come out of lockdown - hopefully he will recommend a podiatrist. I’m up for acupuncture as well.
Best wishes

Luckynan Mon 04-May-20 01:02:36

I have had two episodes of plantar fasciitis and it is extremely painful. There are many exercises on You Tube which are definitely worth trying and sticking with, especially stretching your foot and toes as soon as you get out of bed. I also wear Fitflops and have just ordered my second pair of Uberknit F Sporty. They are not cheap but are the most comfortable trainers I have ever worn , so much so that that is all I now wear most days.
I also found that rubbing Voltarol onto my heel a few times a day helps immensely with the pain. It is important that you buy the one that is 2.32% Gel as it is the most effective.
I have seen several different physiotherapists and they have said that in the end it will just go of its own accord. Neither of them recommended an injection as they both said it can end up doing more harm than good as it can damage the ligament. Mine is definitely easing off, so for now I’m going to stick with the Fitflops and the Voltarol. Good luck .

Nannytopsy Mon 04-May-20 04:18:14

Every sympathy. I think there are a number of different causes. My podiatrist said I have very tight muscles and tendons in my calves and gave me stretching exercises. That was the only thing that worked for me.

BradfordLass73 Mon 04-May-20 22:09:15

I suffered from it so badly that I could hardly walk - I know fellow sufferers will relate to that.
I got orthoric shoes, I did exercises - nothing worked.

Then I was away from home for 10 das, just before Lockdown and it all went away, no pain at all.

On 20th March I came home to total isolation and it came back with a vengeance and the reason? I was back at my computer.

In my case at least, it seems to be sitting too long in one position, which unfortunately is the best part of the day at the moment.

I've been trying a wheat bag, on the floor beneath my feet
(my PC is my lifeline, so it would be the end of me if I had to give that up) and of course taking exercise to get the blood going again. smile
It seems to be working but only time will tell.

grannyrebel7 Mon 04-May-20 22:27:07

My DS had this (he does a lot of running) and he went to see a pediatrist who sorted him out. He's never had the problem since.

lizzypopbottle Mon 04-May-20 23:20:33

This is what you need (photo). SB SOX They are not expensive and you can get them on Amazon. I take a size 5 shoe and the medium SB sock is a good fit. Wear one all the time on your bad foot including in bed. They are brilliant. My foot is OK now but I still wear the sock if I think it's niggling. I promise you will get relief.

lizzypopbottle Mon 04-May-20 23:29:34

Might be a non-starter if you have big ankles, or water retention though. Other support socks are available!

Toadinthehole Tue 05-May-20 12:49:07

Insoles are the only thing that works. You need to put the arch back. All other treatments don’t last.

BradfordLass73 Wed 06-May-20 07:55:33

Has anyone tried Magnesium Cream, it relaxes the muscles of the legs?

LeahKerr Sat 19-Dec-20 14:14:21

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Grandmama Tue 29-Dec-20 17:22:36

I had it in left foot a couple of years ago. At its worst I could hardly walk. I found some very helpful exercises on the website 'Heel that Pain'. I still get twinges of pain and sometimes a sharp pain running up from the inside of my heel into my ankle. When I get out of bed in the morning I still find walking across the bedroom very uncomfortable but it soon wears off. DH's NHS podiatrist suggested exercises for the achilles tendon (also in the downloadable booklet from 'Heel that Pain'. I bought Superdrug insoles which the podiatrist frowned at a bit, but I found them helpful. It was caused (as it was once before, many years ago) by wearing flat shoes with no cushioning for my heels.

I would recommend the site 'Heel that Pain'.

thorns2roses Wed 13-Jan-21 19:33:52

It is a while since this was posted but it is such an annoying condition that I have decided to add my two pennorth worth in case some poor sufferer comes across this post. No one seems to mention it but if you are carrying a few extra pounds, losing weight can help. A few years back after losing some weight I noticed I could walk long distances without causing a new flare up. Rolling my foot over a toddlers size football (similar to the adult ball) really helped to stretch out the bottom of my foot. I tried a tennis ball but it was too painful. . Along with its small size it had just enough give in it to be effective. I did this first thing in the morning and before bed at night. Stretching out the calves and heel. Sitting on a sofa with leg outstretched pointing the toe towards your head for about 10 secs about 5 to 10 times. Also if you do the calf stretch against the wall don't do it to the point of causing pain as this is counterproductive because its can cause micro tears apparently. Lying face down on the bed with feet over the side and get someone to bring both thumbs from calf to heel to stretch this area out. Decent walking shoes from clarks which have good support in the heel (though the ones I bought are no longer sold). Start off exercises with warming your foot up then cooling with ice afterwards. I can't tell you what a massive relief it was when this painful condition finally went away so that I could enjoy a good long walk.

crazyH Wed 13-Jan-21 19:40:36

I’ve had it - I was told by the Chiropractor to put an ice cold can of cococola under your foot and roll it. Do it 4 or 5 times a day for as long as you can tolerate the cold. Solved my problem. Hope you feel better soon.
1appleby, I’m surprised you’ve been having this painful condition for so long.....