Gransnet forums

Health

I've never had flu

(38 Posts)
jeanie99 Sat 02-May-20 03:32:58

Even when hubby had a very bad attack of flu some years ago I still didn't get it.
GP advised me to have the flu jab since being 65yrs but I didn't bother until 2 years ago when I was 73.

Why do some people get flu and not others.

Oopsminty Sat 02-May-20 12:14:34

I used to breezily say I'd had flu until I really got flu

My word, what a nightmare that was

I'd rather give birth and have root canal treatment simultaneously

Doodledog Sat 02-May-20 12:28:02

I think this is why a lot of people took a while to realise the severity of covid-19. I know lots of people who claim to have flu, when they are off work for a couple of days with what is obviously a heavy cold.

Then for the first days of the outbreak the virus was compared with flu, and people thought it would be like the cold they thought was flu.

In answer to the question - yes, once, and it was horrific. There was no comparison to a cold, which can be really unpleasant in itself.

heath480 Sat 02-May-20 12:41:52

I had it once in the early 1980’s.Just after Christmas

I was very ill and my GP came out to me several times.It was Easter before I was fully recovered.

I always have the flu jab,doubt I would recover now if I was ever that ill again.

25Avalon Sat 02-May-20 12:46:39

I don’t have the flu jab. You need a different on each year. Also for some reason it does not give much protection to any one over a certain age - to do with our antibodies I believe.

SueDonim Sat 02-May-20 13:20:48

I had it as a teenager in the late 60’s and then again three years ago. Having had four children, I’ve had my fair share of bad colds over the years but this was way worse. I spent most of one week in bed, which is a really rare thing for me, and it was three weeks before I could step outside the front door again. I was too young for the free flu vaccine the following winter so I gladly paid for it in Boots.

As others seem to have experienced, no one else in the house got it. I was seriously concerned my four week old granddaughter would catch it but no one else succumbed. Maybe it’s because I socially isolated before it was a thing!

BlueBelle Sat 02-May-20 13:24:56

I don’t know that I have had flu or not I ve had plenty of what people call flu Achy bones shivers temperature etc but I ve never had the type where people can’t move for days and are really wiped out for weeks So my answer really is i don’t know
If I have or not

GrannySomerset Sat 02-May-20 13:30:42

Like others, I had Asian flu in 1956 as a school girl and was too ill to even contemplate a first date with a boy I had had my eye on for months, and then again in 1985; both times I was confined to bed for days, and the second time was off work for thee weeks and far from fit for weeks after. As several of you have noted, nothing else compares! And I don’t get colds either. (May we’ll regret that statement.)

notanan2 Sat 02-May-20 14:25:52

I didnt give it to my household

But have been around other peoples flus and not had it

Gummie Sun 03-May-20 08:54:37

I’ve never had flu and I don’t know anyone who has. I know people who say they have it when they just have a cold.

Had a flu jab once about a decade ago but never since.
Hope the universe hasn’t been saving it up to give me the big one.

FindingNemo15 Sun 03-May-20 09:20:49

I seem to get the 'flu most years and we are not talking man 'flu. This is full blown flat out in bed, aching from head to foot feeling as though I am going to die. I have even had it twice in one Winter.

This happens to me with or without having the jab so I do not think there is any hard and fast rule. I totally agree with the £5 note in the garden. It also leaves me washed out for several weeks after that my friend who was a nurse said is called a malaise!

LadyGracie Sun 03-May-20 10:39:53

I had it once in the late 70's, I've never felt so ill, I remember crawling down the hall to use the bathroom. I ended up in hospital with pleurisy.

harrigran Sun 03-May-20 11:08:08

I have had flu several times and my goodness it is so debilitating. My mother died when I had flu and as the eldest sibling in this country I was expected to organise everything. I could barely hold my head up let alone think rationally.
I get cross with people who claim to have the flu when in all probability they have a cold, there is a world of difference.