Gransnet forums

Health

Low Blood Pressure?

(27 Posts)
priestbridge Tue 12-May-20 00:15:45

I’m scared because about 3 weeks ago I woke up and felt a really strange sensation in my head. It’s difficult to describe. Not dizziness just weird. It happened again this morning.
I phoned the Dr and tried to describe it to her and she said because of meds metformin and various high blood pressure tabs it could be low blood pressure. It happened when I was lying down. Has anyone else felt like this ? I have to monitor blood pressure for 2 weeks.

priestbridge Tue 12-May-20 06:55:59

I should add that Dr said didn’t sound like stroke or mini stroke.

Esspee Tue 12-May-20 08:17:45

I would take the doctors advice.

sodapop Tue 12-May-20 08:25:14

Yes take your Drs advice priestbridge I have low blood pressure and get problems when I sit or stand too quickly, certain medication also affects me. Try not to worry too much as this will not help. Hope you feel better soon.

Newquay Tue 12-May-20 08:27:39

Mine tends to be on the low side. I do have to be careful bending down-see stars!-take it easy, deep breaths before moving especially getting up, it does feel strangesad

Thecatshatontgemat Tue 12-May-20 10:35:26

None of us are doctors, so you should take the medical advice offered by one, however, it could be a malfunction of the inner ear. That can lead to some very interesting wobbles, but is not a worry, just a nuisance.

jenni123 Tue 12-May-20 10:46:10

I get this all the time, I say it is a feeling of dis orientation, I used to have Meniere's disease when I was in my 30's and that was really awful, everything spinning, this isn't nice but not as bad as that. i have to sit up, or stand up very slowly, take care turning over in bed, not a nice feeling, I take my blood pressure and it seems OK, I take Cinnarizine tablets, doc prescribes them or you can buy them from the pharmacy as Stugeron, they are sold as travel sickness pills, they are the only thing that helps me.

Holidaygirl12 Tue 12-May-20 10:47:01

How do you monitor your blood pressure unless you have a machine? I was taken off a pill to control high blood pressure as I had several falls at home. The falls stopped, but I was supposed to get regular blood pressure tests to check if my blood pressure was too high and then we went into lockdown. How do I get my blood pressure checked now?

Camelotclub Tue 12-May-20 10:54:11

Could be labyrinthitis, a flaw in the inner ear fluid. It usually goes of its own accord. Makes you feel dizzy when you turn your head when you're lying down.

Camelotclub Tue 12-May-20 10:55:08

Medication helps, such as Stemetil. Only on prescription though.

narrowboatnan Tue 12-May-20 10:56:22

We bought a BP monitor three years ago from Lloyds Pharmacy for less than £20. It works fine and is simple to use (even if it does wring my arm out when the cuff inflates!).
It was this model
www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/blood-pressure-monitor-and-cuff

EllanVannin Tue 12-May-20 10:58:01

Holidaygirl112, a good investment would be if you could purchase a monitor online.
I've had one for many years and it's been a boon if I've had to record my BP in the past.

Nonnie Tue 12-May-20 11:05:43

Doc says my BP is low but doesn't suggest doing anything about it. I have the same issues already stated and drink as much as I can as that is supposed to help. My systolic would be described as 'very good' at average 117 but my diastolic averages 44 which is very low.

Debs551964 Tue 12-May-20 11:14:04

My husband had this and it was corrected by GP carefully reducing his blood pressure medication. For a long while though his GP kept telling him it was an inner ear problem. Thankfully a very bright GP said it was low blood pressure when he got my husband to perform some simple movement which clarified it was indeed not ear related.
If it continues I'm afraid you are going to have to keep going back to your GP or perhaps like us a different GP within your Surgery in the hope they can help you.
I'm only going by my husbands experience, I am NOT a expert!
Good luck and I hope you can get this sorted ?

icanhandthemback Tue 12-May-20 11:15:03

If it is low blood pressure drinking plenty and having more sodium can help.

priestbridge Tue 12-May-20 11:42:24

Thank you everyone. I have ordered a bp monitor on line.

RillaofIngleside Tue 12-May-20 11:57:43

My elderly father suffered from low blood pressure and passed out several times when he stood up or got out of the car. It can be serious so please keep an eye on it and let the doctor know if you continue to have symptoms. It is treatable. He didn't actually realise that he had passed out so take care.

Phloembundle Tue 12-May-20 12:52:30

If it happened when you were lying down it doesn't sound like BP, more like an ear problem. Incidentally, for those of you with low BP, if, when you are about to stand, you take the time to pump your toes up and down firmly about 20 times while keeping your heels on the floor, this will push the blood up to your head before you stand, so reducing the risk of feeling light headed.

Elijah Tue 12-May-20 13:09:26

I get this when laying down and sitting up during the night, I'm on metformin and various other meds. I also have heart problems and was told the sensation is due to that and nothing else! I've been on metformin for over 10yrs and everytime I've mentioned the side effects (there are quite a few) the consultant tells me that the tablets are doing their job!

BlueSky Tue 12-May-20 13:51:13

I've always had high bp, most of the time controlled by a cocktail of bp tablets. On rare occasions I've felt like I was going to pass out and on two occasions I actually passed out briefly. Once I happened to be in a hospital setting and my bp was taken and it was only 70/40! Most of the time the medication does its proper job but when that happens I'm not sure. They've put it down to a vaso vagal episode after all tests had been done.

Caro57 Tue 12-May-20 14:35:01

Do as GP says - it maybe that your blood pressure meds are working (extremely) well and need adjusting..........but only after monitoring as GP requests

klerg000 Tue 12-May-20 15:18:06

It could be your ears as well. I can't sleep on my right side
as when I wake up I have a floating feeling a bit like walking down a floating platform on the water or a very choppy boat. It stays with me for a couple of days. If I lay down too long on that side too it happens when I get up. Some times when I lay down the room is a bit spinny. Anything on my left side is fine.

priestbridge Tue 12-May-20 18:02:34

Thanks everyone x

nannybev Tue 12-May-20 21:01:00

Yes exactly the same, I had been on a beta blocker for many many years to control a fast heart beat. I experienced exactly the same thing, One weekend I just kept falling down, no dizziness ot headache, just as you say a weirded feeling. We rang 111, and was referred to local hospital, where on examining me and taking heart reading my heart beats were 39-40, I was Immediately taken off of the beta blockers and have felt the best I have been in many many years. Good luck hope you have the same result?

anniesgrannie Tue 12-May-20 22:16:58

J too sat up in bed one day last week and immediately felt dizzy and fell sideways on to the bed. Since then I have been sitting up very carefully. I googled my symptons and came up with the reason that I could be dehydrated. Since then I have increased my drinks.