Gransnet forums

Health

Would you go for a blood test?

(86 Posts)
Antonia Sat 16-May-20 12:47:21

I am due for a blood test in June at my surgery, and have sent a message asking what precautions they are taking there, and if the nurse giving the test will be wearing PPE. I am undecided at the moment whether to go or not. Has anyone else been for a blood test, and what was your experience?

Lupatria Sun 17-May-20 11:14:53

i had a follow up ct scan after my op in january. they found something which they're not happy with so i had to have a pet scan and a blood test beforehand.
no form so i couldn't have the blood test - this happened twice before i was sent the blood form so i went back to the hospital for the third time in two weeks and finally had the test.
no appointment and nobody else waiting so walked straight in. nurse wore plastic apron and mask and used hand sanitiser. no sign of the virus but we've got a very low incidence here.
i'm shielded but needed the scans for my health - op in january was to remove a kidney with a cancerous growth so i'm so pleased that i'm having follow up checks.

amymorris01 Sun 17-May-20 11:16:16

I went for a blood test at my GPs ,I usally go to the hospital for it, they were very good took my temp, gave me a mask before I went in the nurse was wearing PPE so I didnt feel worried at all.
My advice is go.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 17-May-20 11:21:07

Yes, I have just had blood tests taken. The lab. staff were wearing masks and visors, as well as the usual surgical gloves.

DH had blood tests done at the GP's -same precautions taken there.

sweetcakes Sun 17-May-20 11:34:19

I know what you mean I've put off my monthly blood tests for two months and I've just made a appointment for Thursday, my appointment is to last 30 minutes obviously it won't take that long I presume after your appointment is to clean down after I've left but I've to arrive on my own at 8:45 so no one else is there. Scared but they have to be done

Mamma66 Sun 17-May-20 11:36:31

I have them regularly and feel very reassured by the steps my GP surgery is taking. Try not to worry ?

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 17-May-20 11:49:07

A couple of weeks ago DH went to the local hospital for a blood test, says they were not wearing masks!! Anyway he's fine. Our hospital has a good record for care, so reckon the testers must have been checked beforehand.

Candelle Sun 17-May-20 11:52:47

Hi Antonia

I felt like you a few weeks ago so completely understand your question.

I rang my surgery to first of all ask if they were still undertaking routine blood tests (I have one every three months) and yes, they were, but I made the appointment with trepidation.

On arrival, I could enter a small lobby but the surgery door was closed. The receptionist came on a speaker as a disembodied voice asking me my business. I said who I was and why I was there. I was then asked my date of birth (presumably as a check) and told to enter - the door slid open.

Inside the waiting room there was.... no one. No patients at all. This was not that the doctors were on holiday, but that 'hot' and 'cold' hubs had been set up elsewhere, so patients did not attend this building.

I waited a minute or two, chatting to the Receptionist (from a huge distance!) and my name came up on the screen directing me to a nearby room - so no stairs or other bits of furniture to touch.

I opened the door with my scarf and inside the phlebotomist was fully-gowned up, including a visor, mask, apron, gloves and could barely be seen!

She took my sample and I hopped out again a few minutes later, again using my scarf to open the door.

Exiting, the door was opened for me by the Receptionist, so I touched nothing.

To be absolutely sure, I had in the car (which was opened using a different part of the scarf) some hand sanitiser which I immediately used.

Once home, I put my (clean, grrr) clothes into the washing machine.

I feel completely at ease returning for another test if the same precautions are being used.

Reading other comments here, it seems that most people who have been for a blood test are satisfied that the correct precautions are being undertaken.

Go and have your test and try not to worry!

Milly Sun 17-May-20 12:18:30

I have to go for an Endoscopy at the hosp and am more anxious about catching the virus than I am about the procedure!! Any words of comfort out there?

Bobdoesit Sun 17-May-20 12:20:29

My neighbour had a blood test this week and messaged me to say it was incredibly well organised. This is what she said:

When we drew into the car park quite a few other cars also came in and everyone without exception had a mask of some sort on. I put my mask on and booked in with reception and she said no one was allowed to wait inside today and would I go back to the car and the nurse would come out and get me. I was duly collected and taken in. The blood nurse was in full PPE complete with visor and mask. I didn’t need to touch anything she opened all the doors with her feet. I don’t think they could do much more to protect themselves or us.

Of course, I can’t say how your surgery will handle things but I would think they are all taking precautions.

Coco51 Sun 17-May-20 12:25:38

Yes I did - and the nurse’s behaviour left me very worried. Came out wearing gloves and plastic apron and a mask. Opened the outside door to take me in, tapped on the keyboard, took my blood, tapped on the keyboard again, then took me out opening the door ’so I wouldn’t have to touch anything’. all wearing the same gloves. Now, if she chamges her gloves for the next patient the new gloves are immediately contaminated by the door handle and the keyboard she touched with the gloves used for me!

inishowen Sun 17-May-20 12:31:28

I had to go last week for a B12 injection. I was met at the door by a man in full ppe. He directed me to the hand sanitiser then a nurse took my temperature. Only then could I be admitted for my injection. The nurse wore ppe. Trust your surgery. They will do everything by the book for your safety.

Nanniejude Sun 17-May-20 12:57:03

Definitely go, medical staff wear PPE, you can wear a face covering! Appointments will be more spaced apart.

Antonia Sun 17-May-20 13:53:17

Thanks everyone, I'll probably go then. I have bought a face mask and a face visor, so I'll look a complete idiot but will feel safer. Afterwards, all clothes will go in the wash and I'll have a shower.

Saggi Sun 17-May-20 13:54:40

I went about six weeks ago for a regular appointment ( which couldn’t be put off) and my doctor was wearing mask only then. But so far so good.

Alima Sun 17-May-20 13:56:37

I am going to my local surgery tomorrow for a blood test. So grateful that I don’t have to take the bus up to the hospital. The surgery keeps all patients up to date with their Covid procedures and what they expect us to do, they are doing a grand job.

Chris0 Sun 17-May-20 14:10:05

I had a blood test when this lockdown first started. Room cleaned after every patient. Had to wait outside until called in. Nurse had mask and gloves on. Had no fear about it at all.

Hollycat Sun 17-May-20 15:12:20

I’m horribly anaemic so have regular blood tests and iron infusions. My husband is terrified I’m going to catch something - I have received “the shielding letter” so insists on driving me there to make sure I’m wearing a mask and gloves and waits in the car park for me. In mid April for the blood test, it seemed to be just me with the mask, no receptionists, cleaners, etc. wearing them. But now I’ve had two infusions each a week apart, and everyone is wearing them. The haematology reception has had a hand basin installed (in addition to the hand sanitizers). They check your temperature at the door and stand over you while you wash your hands before proceeding to the waiting area where the chairs are set far apart from each other. If you haven’t got a mask you’re given one. So yes. It all seems very safe. I asked about PPE. They tell me they haven’t experienced any problem with supply.

Joplin Sun 17-May-20 15:25:55

I have to go to Hospital tomorrow afternoon for an MRI scan on my neck & head. Told them I can't lie flat, even on a foam bed but they said it's a hard bed & my head has to go in a helmet & strapped to the bed so I can't move. Not even a pillow under my knees is allowed. 1/2hr like this & I think the virus will be right at the back of my mind. Even standing up the pain is unbearable. Anyone who reads this - PLEASE keep your fingers crossed for me - just have to get through tomorrow somehow.?

NannyC2 Sun 17-May-20 15:42:19

Yes, definitely - I am overdue my yearly Diabetic blood test and wish they would get on with things and send for me.

G00denough Sun 17-May-20 16:14:19

Have had blood tests at local cottage hospital, chest xray and later a ct scan at major hospital. I experienced lots of anticipatory anxiety but each time I felt safe and very glad I went.

Plunkie Sun 17-May-20 16:32:25

Yes go - I did a few weeks ago. I wore gloves & mask. The Surgery only let one person in at a time so I knocked on the door & someone answered wearing PPE to ask my name & said for me to sit on the chair in the car park u til the person in there came out. I was then called in \7 the nurse was wearing PPE. It was good to be able to go out from home & drive to the surgery.

Kim19 Sun 17-May-20 16:43:38

Yes, I would certainly go. I would take/expect all possible precautions, of course.

GrammaH Sun 17-May-20 17:01:18

Yes absolutely, you should go. I had a blood test at the hospital in late March, I was the only patient there as it happened & I was quite satisfied with the precautions. I've since had to return for an ultrasound scan & again, I was relaxed & comfortable with the precautions. I've also had to visit a GP three times in lockdown & the arrangements were very carefully done. The Dr came to my car in full ppe to conduct me to her room - she held all the doors for me. She was very careful as was I - plenty of cleansing when I got out & of the car when I arrived home plus clothes straight into the washer & into the shower. Please don't be put off going, your health is so important & you'll find everybody is taking your safety during this period extremely seriously.

Bluecat Sun 17-May-20 17:55:11

I would not go to a health centre, hospital, dentist's, optician's, etc, unless it was urgent. I know others disagree, but I am extremely cautious. It depends on balancing risks, and the level of risk you're comfortable with.

Merryweather Sun 17-May-20 18:22:50

Mine was done in the GP practice car park. Drive in gazebo, nurse came out in PPE sat in my car, did blood test, nurse got out, I went home. Job done!