Gransnet forums

Health

"Twanging" hip

(7 Posts)
Ramblingrose22 Sat 16-May-20 21:19:35

The other day I felt a "twanging" sensation in my hip while I was walking.

It wasn't painful but there was a slight discomfort as it (maybe a tendon) "moved" across to a new position. I was worried that whatever it was being over-stretched and was going to snap.

Has anyone else experienced this and did it stop as suddenly as it started?

geekesse Sat 16-May-20 23:37:10

Certainly your description matches my own experience of the early effects of osteoarthritis, which eventually caused me to need a hip replacement. If it occurs again, I do recommend you see your GP. If it is similar (and only medical advice can tell you that) a hip x-ray now may be a useful baseline in a few years time for assessing deterioration to provide evidence if you need surgery

Allegretto Sat 16-May-20 23:59:08

I had a clicking left hip with each step as I walked. Turned out to be a problem with alignment of my pelvis, the result of a long-standing back injury. A series of physio sessions sorted it out.

Ramblingrose22 Sun 17-May-20 00:28:36

Thanks to those who have replied so far.

I am nervous about going to a hospital for any tests or x-rays at present. I can't claim it's an emergency so I'd have to ask my GP what they suggest.

BrightOne Sun 17-May-20 18:44:03

There is something called snapping hip syndrome, which I had years ago, with similar symptoms. I was given exercises to do which sorted it, but I definitely endorse previous advice to consult your GP to determine the cause in your case.

midgey Sun 17-May-20 20:08:55

Try doing Pilates, following a tv programme. There are lots on you tube and I am sure you will find it helps. Whatever it can’t hurt!

travelsafar Mon 18-May-20 09:08:56

I too have developed a worrying side effect from my daily walks. After about 5 mins of not too brisk walking my heel and the back of my ankle goes completely numb. Yesterday i turned round and came home straight away. With rest it goes away.I have herniated discs in my spine and am concerned that one of them has 'moved' again. Due for a telephone consultation this week for my medication so will mention and hope they call me in to surgery for gp to take a look. As i have been working most days in the garden i am concerned i have 'done' something to my back.