Gransnet forums

Health

Loss of body hair

(33 Posts)
Trixi Sun 17-May-20 15:21:26

I thought it strange when I realised I haven't needed to shave my legs or underarms this year. But didn't worry too much. But now my eyebrows are vanishing. Is this an age thing? Or should I be concerned?

GGumteenth Fri 22-May-20 11:26:07

do you happen to know what are the risks/effects of not treating under-active thyroid. i've heard of things like thinning hair, and putting on weight, tiredness
welbeck Fri 22-May-20 01:47:27

If there is a doctor on this thread they may be able to expand on this but otherwise most of the articles I have seen on google seem to say much the same as this one.

www.healthline.com/health/hypothyroidism/complications#1

Mine went unrecognised for some time and I now have the neuropathy mentioned here which may or may not have been caused by this. I certainly had the brain fog (Cognitive issues) caused by hypothyroid.

H1954 Fri 22-May-20 08:09:23

Oh yes, definitely "an age thing" ! ? I very rarely have to shave my legs and underarms now, just wish the eyebrows were in synch, one looks quite 'normal' and the other very sparse indeed! ???

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 22-May-20 08:02:25

Due to cancer (and other medication) the hair on my head is thinning and I rarely shave or pluck my eyebrows, leg hair or armpits. Yet, if I didn’t pluck my chin daily, I would have an enormous beard by now!

Grannynannywanny Fri 22-May-20 07:54:45

Wellbeck this is the link to the info on the NHS website. I’m not great at tech so if clicking on the link doesn’t work you may need to copy and paste it.

Or alternatively google NHS underactive thyroid and it should lead you to it.
www.nhs.uk/conditions/underactive-thyroid-hypothyroidism/

Calendargirl Fri 22-May-20 07:50:48

welbeck.

Yes, all of those. My under active thyroid was picked up at my 60 years check up. Didn’t realise I had any symptoms, but had just retired and assumed it was work that made me feel tired.

Have never noticed much difference since really, except hair is probably thinner, but maybe an age thing also.

Calendargirl Fri 22-May-20 07:46:16

The hair ‘down below’ is still dark, but greying on my head, Why?
Don’t seem to have eyelashes any more.
?

welbeck Fri 22-May-20 01:47:27

do you happen to know what are the risks / effects of not treating under-active thyroid. i've heard of things like thinning hair, and putting on weight, tiredness.

GGumteenth Thu 21-May-20 23:14:09

I had the same issues and thought it must be "just getting older" but it turned out I had low thyroid. I have never been particularly hirsute so although some body hair returned it was not particularly noticable but my eyebrows, which had disappeared gradually from the outside towards the middle now nicely frame my eye again.

I would request a test. Mine was by "accident" as in "we'll do these tests but I don't expect to get anything back" when both the doctor and I thought I had another problem. But back it came and it explained so much. If you have got low thyroid it is incredibly easy to treat but untreated it can cause problems and untreated for any real length of time is certainly not a good idea.

Trixi Thu 21-May-20 22:52:59

Thanks for all your reassuring replies - several made me titter! So, only the eyebrow loss that may be a concern, I'll just see how it goes.

sharon103 Wed 20-May-20 14:39:26

You've all made me laugh. Soo funny. grin

Loislovesstewie Wed 20-May-20 14:33:30

I'm just relieved that having had PCOS nearly all of my adult life I now have far less body hair. I've given it a bit of help but most seems to be the change in hormones. Hurray!

ninathenana Wed 20-May-20 14:28:26

I have no body hair anywhere these days. Facial hair is fine thanks.

ladymuck Wed 20-May-20 13:31:03

And I thought it was just me!

Motherofmany Wed 20-May-20 13:27:28

Another one here, more on my chin than in my pubic area ☺☺

watermeadow Mon 18-May-20 20:28:57

I never had much body hair and it’s all gone now (75) except eyebrows.
I’ve always wished that humans were furry, like cats. We would be much more cuddly and wouldn’t have to wear clothes. I’d be a grey tabby.

InnocentBystander Mon 18-May-20 15:56:52

If it's any consolation ladies, it's not only the fair sex that becomes less hirsute. My under arms are thinly populated, as is the lower region - although less loss there. My facial hair still appears albeit dark mixed with grey, and my hitherto lush and thick head hair is finer too. It is a general drop in sex hormone levels I assume. Woe is me...

Grannynannywanny Sun 17-May-20 21:30:18

I think my under arm hair has retreated into an internal tunnel and starting to find its way outwards via my chin

JoyBloggs Sun 17-May-20 19:51:03

I think the hairs under our arms just pack their bags when we reach 60ish. They abandon their cosy, sheltered home and head for a new life in the great outdoors...

phoenix Sun 17-May-20 19:50:04

61.5! Hair on my head grows like a weed, beard coming on a treat, ditto moustache.

Armpit hair pretty sparse, legs ummm, variable.

Eyebrows? Still darkish (even though head hair now totally grey) and in serious need of a tidy, although overgrown fringe is hiding the worst!

"Down below"? ??????

MiniMoon Sun 17-May-20 19:43:17

My underarm hair has diminished, but the hair on my forearms is growing!
You should see it. I've been shaving it, but not at the moment because I have a strange bumpy rash on both arms.

Hetty58 Sun 17-May-20 19:02:09

Yes, certainly a post menopausal thing. It's nice not having to shave legs and underarms - but a pain with the tweezers for a few unwelcome new hairs on the chin!

Thinning eyebrows can be a sign of thyroid problems or vitamin deficiency though. Some of us obsessively pluck out any grey hairs too!

SalsaQueen Sun 17-May-20 18:28:39

It must be an age/menopause thing. I'm 61 (had periods until 59 1/2!), and have noticed that for the past 2 years I rarely need to shave my armpits. The legs only need doing about fortnightly. I wish I had some eyebrows grin

sodapop Sun 17-May-20 17:44:59

Yes but its very picky where it disappears from, under arms, pubes, legs and head are all sparse but moustache and beard flourishing. Time to join the circus.

shysal Sun 17-May-20 16:31:48

I wish! My body hair is as thick and dark as ever unfortunately.

AGAA4 Sun 17-May-20 16:27:36

Armpits have no hair. Just the start of the retreat maybe?