Gransnet forums

Health

Loss of body hair

(32 Posts)
Trixi Sun 17-May-20 15:21:26

I thought it strange when I realised I haven't needed to shave my legs or underarms this year. But didn't worry too much. But now my eyebrows are vanishing. Is this an age thing? Or should I be concerned?

Oldbutstilluseful Sun 17-May-20 15:22:22

Definitely an age thing!

grannymy Sun 17-May-20 15:22:31

I don't have much hair growing in under my arms. It seems to have decreased. I think it is an age thing.

Luckygirl Sun 17-May-20 15:52:44

All body hair threw in the towel some years ago - wish I could say the same for my black eyebrows which are rampant.

Oldbat1 Sun 17-May-20 15:55:33

I’m the reverse!

Puzzler61 Sun 17-May-20 16:08:19

All body hair sparser.
I still shave my legs when they need it but I haven’t needed to shave armpits for about 10 years. The hairs under there just went AWOL.

Poppyred Sun 17-May-20 16:16:27

Losing hair on my head but plenty on my chin to make up for it! ??

AGAA4 Sun 17-May-20 16:27:36

Armpits have no hair. Just the start of the retreat maybe?

shysal Sun 17-May-20 16:31:48

I wish! My body hair is as thick and dark as ever unfortunately.

sodapop Sun 17-May-20 17:44:59

Yes but its very picky where it disappears from, under arms, pubes, legs and head are all sparse but moustache and beard flourishing. Time to join the circus.

SalsaQueen Sun 17-May-20 18:28:39

It must be an age/menopause thing. I'm 61 (had periods until 59 1/2!), and have noticed that for the past 2 years I rarely need to shave my armpits. The legs only need doing about fortnightly. I wish I had some eyebrows grin

Hetty58 Sun 17-May-20 19:02:09

Yes, certainly a post menopausal thing. It's nice not having to shave legs and underarms - but a pain with the tweezers for a few unwelcome new hairs on the chin!

Thinning eyebrows can be a sign of thyroid problems or vitamin deficiency though. Some of us obsessively pluck out any grey hairs too!

MiniMoon Sun 17-May-20 19:43:17

My underarm hair has diminished, but the hair on my forearms is growing!
You should see it. I've been shaving it, but not at the moment because I have a strange bumpy rash on both arms.

phoenix Sun 17-May-20 19:50:04

61.5! Hair on my head grows like a weed, beard coming on a treat, ditto moustache.

Armpit hair pretty sparse, legs ummm, variable.

Eyebrows? Still darkish (even though head hair now totally grey) and in serious need of a tidy, although overgrown fringe is hiding the worst!

"Down below"? ??????

JoyBloggs Sun 17-May-20 19:51:03

I think the hairs under our arms just pack their bags when we reach 60ish. They abandon their cosy, sheltered home and head for a new life in the great outdoors...

Grannynannywanny Sun 17-May-20 21:30:18

I think my under arm hair has retreated into an internal tunnel and starting to find its way outwards via my chin

InnocentBystander Mon 18-May-20 15:56:52

If it's any consolation ladies, it's not only the fair sex that becomes less hirsute. My under arms are thinly populated, as is the lower region - although less loss there. My facial hair still appears albeit dark mixed with grey, and my hitherto lush and thick head hair is finer too. It is a general drop in sex hormone levels I assume. Woe is me...

watermeadow Mon 18-May-20 20:28:57

I never had much body hair and it’s all gone now (75) except eyebrows.
I’ve always wished that humans were furry, like cats. We would be much more cuddly and wouldn’t have to wear clothes. I’d be a grey tabby.

Motherofmany Wed 20-May-20 13:27:28

Another one here, more on my chin than in my pubic area ☺☺

ladymuck Wed 20-May-20 13:31:03

And I thought it was just me!

ninathenana Wed 20-May-20 14:28:26

I have no body hair anywhere these days. Facial hair is fine thanks.

Loislovesstewie Wed 20-May-20 14:33:30

I'm just relieved that having had PCOS nearly all of my adult life I now have far less body hair. I've given it a bit of help but most seems to be the change in hormones. Hurray!

sharon103 Wed 20-May-20 14:39:26

You've all made me laugh. Soo funny. grin

Trixi Thu 21-May-20 22:52:59

Thanks for all your reassuring replies - several made me titter! So, only the eyebrow loss that may be a concern, I'll just see how it goes.

GGumteenth Thu 21-May-20 23:14:09

I had the same issues and thought it must be "just getting older" but it turned out I had low thyroid. I have never been particularly hirsute so although some body hair returned it was not particularly noticable but my eyebrows, which had disappeared gradually from the outside towards the middle now nicely frame my eye again.

I would request a test. Mine was by "accident" as in "we'll do these tests but I don't expect to get anything back" when both the doctor and I thought I had another problem. But back it came and it explained so much. If you have got low thyroid it is incredibly easy to treat but untreated it can cause problems and untreated for any real length of time is certainly not a good idea.