Gransnet forums

Health

Organ donation - a step too far?

(77 Posts)
Chestnut Wed 20-May-20 09:33:56

Under new legislation from today everyone in England will be deemed to have given consent for their organs to be donated when they die – unless they specifically opt out or are in an excluded group.

Surely this could be very distressing for the deceased's family who might not want their loved one hacked up but will apparently have no say in the matter now.

User77 Sat 23-May-20 13:54:20

Hi BlueBelle In a post mortem or cremation or burial the deceased person isn't attached to machines keeping them "alive" and monitoring BP and Heart rate. Nor would most (not all) surgeons give anaesthesia. That's the bit I worry about. Until 100% of surgeons do this I feel reluctant to take the risk.
Hi Witzend Did the story say the lady was resusitated and could therefore tell her story? I of course agree with organ donation if the anaestetic criteria is made clear in law. Until then I would not of course expect to be given an organ myself. I couldn't be hypocritical in my choices. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about donating, it's just that at the moment, personally, I don't feel comfortable with the proceedure. Best Wishes to you all.