Gransnet forums

Health

Struggling after ICU and covid19

(12 Posts)
SANDY2020 Thu 21-May-20 01:09:31

Thanks

notanan2 Wed 20-May-20 23:07:01

You should have had support and have been sign posted towards what you might need during ICU recovery.

But with things not being normal there may be more gaps in the system than usual so you might need to be pushy to get what you need (I appreciate that you might not feel you have the energy to do so x)

notanan2 Wed 20-May-20 22:54:32

"be referred"

notanan2 Wed 20-May-20 22:54:07

you dont need to go through your GP, you dont need to bevreferred you should already be their follow up patient. Speak directly to ICU sister/matron or lead physio. If you email PALS and ask them to forward your email to ICU

SANDY2020 Wed 20-May-20 22:49:14

Thanks I'll ask GP but don't expect to get far tbh she asked me what I wanted didn't offer things

notanan2 Wed 20-May-20 22:45:36

Try to get in touch with the ICU matron and let them know you are lacking follow up support.

notanan2 Wed 20-May-20 22:44:26

Any follow up clinics should be replaced by phone support at least? there should at least be a follow up lead person?

If you werent sedated you will have been seriously sleep deprived/exhausted x

SANDY2020 Wed 20-May-20 22:35:46

I wasn't I was on a cpap machine on/off think sometimes it's worse as I watched everyone who came in//died and they are not offering any outpatient apps due to covid

notanan2 Wed 20-May-20 22:28:15

Were you sedated? They use really strong drugs so you might be going through a bit of withdrawl also?

notanan2 Wed 20-May-20 22:26:55

Hi, contact your ICU they usually have follow up clinics to help with all of the post ICU issues you just may need to be in touch with them sooner rather than later x

SANDY2020 Wed 20-May-20 22:04:50

May I add I was covid positive aged 40and no underlying health conditions I'll and after two days in hospital ICU told I may die 50/50

SANDY2020 Wed 20-May-20 22:03:03

I'm struggling to find help or support after been in ICU for two weeks and have been home not long I've spoken to my GP who signed me off for afew weeks and I'm suffering mentally and physically,physically tired ache headaches....all of which I've been told is normal after lack of oxygen and all the drugs and mentally from seeing slot of people suffer and die of covid,found myself councilling through mind charity but mum not very good to talk to and I live with her so really hard sympathy and support financial ly as I only get SSP and helps me cooks etc but shit for talking to doesn't get it at all is there anyone had same experience or similar please?