Gransnet forums

Health

Frustrated at feeling less able.

(65 Posts)
Leah50 Fri 22-May-20 14:39:13

This morning I tried to take some central ceiling lampshades down to wash, my DH is a smoker & they get rather grubby looking. Just a few years ago I was happily able to do all the decorating & window cleaning, top of a ladder....no problem. Now in my 70th year even standing one rung up on a sturdy step-stool makes me anxious & feeling wobbly. I'm in good health but suddenly I'm scared of falling. After cleaning & replacing just two lampshades & bulbs I was nearly in tears, unable to try any more. My frail, elderly DH relies on me for almost everything, & I look after my school age grandkids 30-40 hrs a week as their parents are key workers. Do I need to admit I'm getting too old?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 23-May-20 11:20:15

I think I must have the same stepladder as you Septimia and Gwenisgreat it's very sturdy with three steps but it weighs a ton. This puts me off especially when it has to be moved from one floor to another. Very annoying.

Lucca Sat 23-May-20 11:28:46

Where possible use lamps instead of overhead light ?

Rosina Sat 23-May-20 11:32:21

I've never had good balance - gym was a nightmare at school, particularly trying to walk across those wretched bars - but a few years ago I fell and broke my arm, and the fear of falling again and doing something similar has made me so wary of ladders. I grip the bannisters going up and down the stairs, and if there are no handrails I hang on to the nearest person, whether they like it or not! I do sympathise - OH does all the bulb changing and step ladder jobs - what would I do without him?

Bobdoesit Sat 23-May-20 11:37:50

You have no idea how much I wish for online classes V3ra but our instructor is not a young person and has no wish to use the internet. It’s a shame as I miss the company and I suspect all the ladies feel the same. I do try to do pilates each day as there are lots of videos on YouTube.

Sussexborn Sat 23-May-20 11:38:21

Someone should invent a wheeled version of your ladder, with a locking device once you’ve got it in position.

We have a loft ladder but OH doesn’t check that the bits that hold it firm are in place before climbing up it so it’s very rickety. When I use it I always double check to be on the safe side.

I have managed to persuade him that it isn’t essential to cut the front and back lawn in one day.

crazyH Sat 23-May-20 11:45:10

Please, please, those of you who are climbing ladders, especially those who live on their own, please, please, keep your mobile phone / phone with you at all time. Most of my house-wear (joggers) , have pockets and my mobile stays there 24/7

Wibby Sat 23-May-20 11:45:51

Due to osteo arthritis theres a great deal I can not do anymore, I make a list for when my son comes to visit and get him to do the jobs I cant do. I actually gave my step ladder away a couple of years ago to stop myself using it as I was terrified I would fall. With being unable to have contact with him at this time I think the next list will be a very long one!

MerylStreep Sat 23-May-20 12:05:12

Lear
I would imagine that you were tilting your head back when you were cleaning the shades? This is quiet normal. I have read that is to do with the inner ear.

On the subject of balance. I practice standing on one leg ( alternately) while I'm cleaning my teeth. I minute each leg.
I find it's easier to hold your heal against your bum cheek ( good for the hamstrings as well. You will start to wobble, but just focus and you will come back in balance. I'm 74.

MerylStreep Sat 23-May-20 12:07:45

I forgot to add: you will feel the benefits in your stomach muscles as well.

Thecatshatontgemat Sat 23-May-20 12:17:53

Fear of falling, is not unreasonable in this dodgy time. Nobody, but nobody, wants to have to go to hospital.
I am terrified of breaking a tooth, as there are no dentists to go to, so it's not unreasonable to get a bit wobbly.
Also : why on earth does your husband smoke in the house anyway? It fouls the room, and endangers you.....

Taliya Sat 23-May-20 12:26:37

I think you have a lot on your plate if you are looking after your husband and your grandkids, so you maybe are feeling stressed anyway. Have you ever tried doing Yoga(there are lots of Yoga classes online on You tube every day). Yoga is very good for strengthening the body, helps with balance and keeps it subtle, it a also relaxes the mind. The best thing to stop feeling old is to keep exercising, within reason!

Elisabeth68 Sat 23-May-20 13:15:02

I too am nervous in case I need emergency help, living alone. I have installed a coded key box which is accessible, but not in view, on the side of my house
All friends and family have the code and although I may never need it, I feel a little more secure

Nannan2 Sat 23-May-20 13:18:05

Im only 56 but ive got so bad with osteoarthritis i can no longer do anything i used to.i started with it at 42 with just a clicking noise in one knee- now im awaiting a dble knee replacement & ive got it in my elbows& wrists too. So if you ever hear a joint clicking, go see Gp straightaway for a referral! hmm

Nannan2 Sat 23-May-20 13:28:10

They are very good fifeywifey- (jar opener) i got one attached already (removable for use) to an electric can opener- and when the opener broke i kept the rubber jar opener & keep it in cutlery drawer.i suppose you can buy them separately though.

granbabies123 Sat 23-May-20 14:23:22

I'm only in my 60s and don't like ladders ,and certainly would only go up one if near a wall.
Well down for going on so long. Just let dust gather on light fitting just now , no visitors to see it.
Afterwards get a nice person to help you.
Take care

granbabies123 Sat 23-May-20 14:24:17

Sorry 'done,' not 'down'

GagaJo Sat 23-May-20 14:28:24

Ladders are dodgy most of the time anyway, in my opinion.

When I moved into my house 10 years ago, I gutted it and did a lot of the renovating myself.

I was up a ladder in what is my bedroom now, plastering a wall and somehow fell off the ladder. I concussed myself and had to go to the doctors (plaster in hair, dirty DIY clothes and all). I'd had cancer 2 years previously and she was quietly concerned that my cancer might have spread to the brain (one of the key areas my type of cancer goes to first) but thankfully not.

Possibly I'd got over confident. I don't know. I was only 45 at the time and perfectly fit and healthy.

gillyknits Sat 23-May-20 14:28:35

As we get older we seem to lose the spring in our knees. I was gardening the other day, on my knees ,and couldn’t get back up. Had to crawl to the nearest upright post and pull myself up. Had a little chuckle to myself , glad that no one saw me!

Hamp75 Sat 23-May-20 16:52:13

Since joining this site I have been puzzled at all the references to DG or DH or whatever: I have a horrible feeling it might stand for dear someone or other. Please tell me I am wrong! It would sound so twee. As much as I love them and might occasionally use the word directly to my children I certainly wouldn't use it in general conversation with other people: Have I got it wrong in which case what do these initials stand for?

silverlining48 Sat 23-May-20 17:40:10

No hamps you have not got it wrong.

silverlining48 Sat 23-May-20 17:40:43

grin

Esspee Sat 23-May-20 17:47:25

I found it awful at first but in time it became normal. ?

Glorybee Sat 23-May-20 17:56:32

Hamp75 - look under ‘Acronyms’ under Gransnet Forum up top.

Grammaretto Sat 23-May-20 18:53:39

My yoga teacher is doing classes on zoom during the lockdown. It's gentle yoga and though I have been going to classes off and on since I was young, my balance has got worse recently.
It must be my age, I'm 71 and there was I thinking it was alcohol!
I broke my wrist falling about 10 years ago and that left me nervous especially walking on icy pavements

GreenGran78 Sat 23-May-20 20:11:00

I had no trouble climbing ladders until I started having trouble with my hip, when I was 78. Now I’m almost 81, and have had a new hip, I find that I have lost all confidence at climbing. I therefore leave changing bulbs, cleaning windows etc to my son. Like his late father he takes a while to get around to it, but it gets done eventually.