Gransnet forums

Health

Frustrated at feeling less able.

(65 Posts)
Leah50 Fri 22-May-20 14:39:13

This morning I tried to take some central ceiling lampshades down to wash, my DH is a smoker & they get rather grubby looking. Just a few years ago I was happily able to do all the decorating & window cleaning, top of a ladder....no problem. Now in my 70th year even standing one rung up on a sturdy step-stool makes me anxious & feeling wobbly. I'm in good health but suddenly I'm scared of falling. After cleaning & replacing just two lampshades & bulbs I was nearly in tears, unable to try any more. My frail, elderly DH relies on me for almost everything, & I look after my school age grandkids 30-40 hrs a week as their parents are key workers. Do I need to admit I'm getting too old?

Mistyfluff8 Sat 23-May-20 20:43:00

My friend who is in her 70s won’t climb ladders at the present time as she’s petrified of falling and hurting herself and got to hospital and catching Covid 19 she lives on her own .Will give Pilates a try if it’s good for balance I do Zumba but this might be better

skunkhair63 Sat 23-May-20 21:06:28

My DMiL lives independently in her own bungalow. We are ringing her twice a day, and popping over with shopping etc a couple of times a week (self-distancing, of course). She was quite frustrated and tearful this morning - it has been very windy overnight, and she was upset that tidying up leaves and twigs in her (rather large) garden had felt unsafe. She kept having to stop, as she felt unsteady whilst being buffeted by the still-strong winds. I was shocked she had even attempted what I see as an unnecessary chore. I told her she was doing amazingly well, as she has been doing all her own housework (she is fastidious) and looking after herself, doing all her own cooking and cleaning, extremely well for many weeks now. I promised that as soon as restrictions are lifted, we will be going off in my car, anywhere she chooses, and as fast as she likes, which cheered her up a bit. And there will be lots and lots of hugs. Believe it or not, she was 90 years young in January! We are so proud of her!

Sawsage2 Sat 23-May-20 22:13:38

I'm 68 and have mobility problems with leg weakness. I take Thyroxin but I think I need a blood test (are surgeries open for this?) for a medication review.

Sussexborn Sat 23-May-20 22:38:13

It seems to be down to individual surgeries. Ours is open but you have to queue outside and only two in at a time. All prescriptions are being sent direct to the pharmacy.

Might be worth checking their website.

Hetty58 Sun 24-May-20 01:41:15

It's really depressing when you begin to struggle with things you've always easily done. I'm 'only' 66 but I've decided that painting ceilings is now beyond me (too much pain later with disk problems) and I'm far more wary about pruning from high ladders.

I now need a kneeling pad and something nearby to help me to stand up again. I have ice grippers for shoes, a jar opener and silicone guards on oven shelves (as I've become clumsy).

Having installed and tiled a new kitchen and shower room in the past, now I'm getting people in to do another bathroom - it just seems too much of a challenge.

heath480 Sun 24-May-20 02:17:16

I am 72,still go up my ladder in the garden,but I am extremely cautious.I don’t go as high as I used to.

I do hate asking anyone for help,I feel I should be doing things myself,I am still painting ceilings,but mine are not very high at all.

cornergran Sun 24-May-20 06:33:20

sawsage our surgery is offering blood tests, very careful and As safe as they can make it. Please do check with yours, it sounds as if you aren’t as well as you usually are.

jenpax Sun 24-May-20 08:15:12

I am in my 50’s but have always hated heights! Even standing on a chair makes me dizzy! It’s very frustrating especially if you live on your own and I have never been able to get up into the loft!!

Cindersdad Sun 24-May-20 09:45:56

I'm 76 next month and definitely a lot slower than I used to be. I am generally fit and have not smoked for 55 years, only drink a little and watch my weight. That aside when I cycle I'm nothing like as fast as I used to be, it is real effort and my confidence is less on the bike, on ladders etc.. Driving is not a problem unless you count being more cautious and a bit slower. I suffer from corns so walking is impaired, during lockdown the chiropodists are closed. This aside I'm probably better than most of my age.

Ashcombe Sun 24-May-20 09:58:07

Leah50
Just a thought:
As your grandchildren's parents are key workers, the children could have been attending school throughout the lockdown, including during the Easter and upcoming half term holidays. Even if they attended for part of the week, it would relieve you of some of the pressure.
Perhaps there were reasons for deciding not to avail themselves of that facility.

craftyone Wed 27-May-20 08:20:59

it helps to have a tall aluminium stepladder, so that you don`t stand on the top step and have something to lean against, to feel safer and supported. One with non-slip feet and ties between the legs and a top step that clips down to keep the ladder secure. They are very lightweight and I have one for lightshades etc. I feel safe on this, not on steps that are not tall enough. I use the ladder for drilling holes etc too, I am under 5` and 72. It is reaching up that can cause accidents

lemongrove Wed 27-May-20 10:19:14

Some people, regardless of age, are better on ladders than others.I am fine, DH not so.
Age does play a part though as well, as DH now falls over quite a bit.Yesterday, in the garden, he was about to stake some delphiniums, when he suddenly tumbled over into a large patch of catmint ( I was watching) he was ok, but had a tragic face and said ‘I’ve broken my stick!’ We both burst out laughing at the same time.?
Not five minutes later he fell over again, this time by the wall, but managed to steady himself.He has never had a good sense of balance.
So, Leah just do the things you feel safe doing.

Laughterlines Wed 27-May-20 13:57:25

There comes a time when we all have to accept that we can no longer do the things we used to do. Think back to your granny at your age, then give yourself a pat on the back.

Skweek1 Sat 30-May-20 09:27:14

I've always been terrified of the most sturdy steps and can't reach to change a lightbulb - totally dependent on DS, who fortunately still lives at home. However, I really want him to be independent and am encouraging him to move out, but would have to ask him to visit regularly to change light bulbs, take down shower curtains for washing, dust spiders' webs from ceilings etc. All those silly little jobs that I can't reach!