Gransnet forums

Health

Am thinking of dusting off my vibration plate (spiders will not be happy at having to rehome themselves!)

(37 Posts)
Shinamae Sat 06-Jun-20 13:57:01

Like I suspect quite a few of us I have put on about 11lb in three months.I have had a vibration plate for years and used it intermittently.I do work part time in a care home so that is quite physical as well as the stairs we have to climb at work. My problem is I have skinny legs skinny arms no backside but I have a broad back and the dreaded back fat and a belly that is what I’m going to try and “shake away” any experiences and tips gratefully received...... And I do know we can’t really change your basic body shape but my body is just very unreasonable I could really do with a couple of pounds on my backside and it could easily be taken from my back but it seems not ......?

MayBee70 Wed 10-Jun-20 14:08:12

I’ve actually managed to lose weight recently and its left me very flabby. Desperate to go to the gym but that’s out for the foreseeable future. Which one of these machines would be the best one to get and do I need to buy extra equipment to go with it. I’d buy a cross trainer but they’re not good for my knees.

Eloethan Mon 08-Jun-20 22:38:02

Thanks Shinamae.

Shinamae Mon 08-Jun-20 19:35:27

Lizziepopbottle, I’ve got a feeling I just need to lose some weight and I used to do the 5:2 but this time I think I might try the 16:8.....

Shinamae Mon 08-Jun-20 17:30:28

Not a brilliant illustration but I’m sure you get the idea....

Shinamae Mon 08-Jun-20 17:29:36

Ok,I will try to upload a diagram of a vibration plate and the exercises that can be done on it, I have one as illustrated but some of them are just platforms......

Kartush Mon 08-Jun-20 15:12:47

I have one, it sits unloved in the designated toy room, the other day my 2 year old great grandson found the remote for it and switched it on, scared the begezus out of him. I stepped on it to show him how it worked and he just kept going no no no no lol and dragged me off. Now every time he sees it he glares at it and says no

lizzypopbottle Mon 08-Jun-20 14:48:50

The only thing that worked for my back fat (across the top, makes you look round shouldered) was 5:2 fasting. My 'postural problem' turned out to be fat, pure and simple. It melted away with regular calorie restriction.

Eloethan Mon 08-Jun-20 13:55:08

Now is a very good time, if you are able, to take plenty of long walks, both to keep your spirits up and to keep fit.

I'm not quite sure what a "vibration plate" is? Is it the thing you see advertised to put your feet on, which is claimed to aid circulation? Has anyone got one of these and do they work. My mum, who is 99, can get about the house OK but doesn't go out for walks any more. Her ankles are rather swollen and I wondered if one of these machines would help.

Annma Mon 08-Jun-20 11:53:32

I have used a Bodyfit vibration plate for 10 minutes every morning to warm up my muscles before doing my online Yoga.It definitely helps to tone you up.. I also dug out my Bodyblade which helped when I broke my arm four years ago. There are lots of YouTube videos about exercising with aBodyblade.It’s a quick and great way to firm upper arms and tummy.

janipans Mon 08-Jun-20 11:50:50

If you google "power plate exercises" there are loads of charts that pop up.
If it's weight loss you want though I'd recommend WW. I lost 2 stones 3 years ago and have not put it back on - even in lockdown - (and my OH is in the high risk category so we are shielding). Once you learn the "points" values of foods you like to eat you never unlearn them so it is easy to start a new way of eating and you can have anything you fancy ... just so long as you count the points and compensate accordingly for the rest of the day (or week if it was something really, really indulgent!)

Flakesdayout Mon 08-Jun-20 11:41:22

I've got a vibration plate. My warm cardi is on it with my throw. I really should start to use it. Oh well always tomorrow.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 08-Jun-20 11:28:23

Shinamae, you sound like you have a similar type body to my own. I often think if I had the cash, I would have surgery to shift my bulges around - yes down my legs and into my feet!!
If you find anything that works, let me know!!

Patsy222 Mon 08-Jun-20 10:56:02

I was just thinking and worrying about the vibrator thing(different vibrator to mine) thinking any minute my hip must be about to crumble??

Matelda Mon 08-Jun-20 10:54:15

If you've put on 11 pounds in three months, then the answer must be diet and exercise. Although in my 70s I've lost nearly three stones with Jane Plan (diet delivery in a box) plus vigorous walking at home from yourdailywalk.com or try it out for free on YouTube by searching for walk at home. I like to watch exercise videos on my smart TV by Chrome casting them from my tablet, or by using AirPlay.

BlueSky Mon 08-Jun-20 10:44:01

Me too but didn't like to say in case you thought I was a dirty old woman! 'Vibration plate' the mind boggles! grin

Purplepoppies Mon 08-Jun-20 10:09:39

Plug in vibrators are very noisy.....
Don't ask me how I know that ?

Esspee Mon 08-Jun-20 09:19:00

@felice The bigger the better I would think!

DanniRae Sun 07-Jun-20 20:02:11

grin winkshock - you choose!!

Nannylovesshopping Sun 07-Jun-20 13:06:42

Oh dear me tooblush

felice Sun 07-Jun-20 12:42:20

Me too, wondering what size of batteries you would need grinwink

Toadinthehole Sun 07-Jun-20 11:26:15

Join her in what?!? memory’s gone?

DanniRae Sun 07-Jun-20 07:16:15

Yep I too thought that!

And I thought grannyrebel17 was going to join her!! grin

Shinamae Sat 06-Jun-20 21:00:25

Can’t take you lot anywhere ???

grannyrebel7 Sat 06-Jun-20 20:46:04

Me too!

BlueBelle Sat 06-Jun-20 20:33:49

toadinthehole I thought the same I thought she was going to dust down her vibrator