Gransnet forums

Health

Pulse 52

(16 Posts)
annep1 Sun 07-Jun-20 12:09:38

I am taking a really low dose beta blocker. Feeling extremely tired so checked. BP is hovering around 108/65 and pulse 52-56 last 2 days. It may well have been like this before taking bbs. Anyone else have low readings?

Greenfinch Sun 07-Jun-20 12:14:15

I was on a low dose bisoprolol and my pulse was consistently under 60. I asked to come off it and my pulse is now generally 65+.

silverlining48 Sun 07-Jun-20 12:32:54

I am not on any medication and my pulse has always been about 50/52 with fairly low bp too.

annep1 Sun 07-Jun-20 12:51:00

Mine has only been low for a few years but not as low as this.
It sounds like you have perhaps always been very fit and active Silverlining48.

Greenfinch you were obviously given bisoprolol for a reason, so did stopping it not cause the problem to return?

annep1 Sun 07-Jun-20 12:53:16

Should add mine was for palpitations which aren't that troublesome but consultant advised it as I have a leaky mitral valve ( I don't know the connection.)

Greenfinch Sun 07-Jun-20 13:02:51

Mine was for atrial fibrillation for which I was also given flecainide. I started off with 10mg of bisoprolol but had a series of dizzy episodes. The consultant said I think we have been over medicating you and reduced it to 2.5 but the problem persisted and so I was taken off it and I haven't had an episode of AF now for over a year. I still take the flecainide.

annep1 Sun 07-Jun-20 13:17:16

Thanks for your reply Greenfinch, very helpful. Mine was for palps but the monitor found an irregularity which I assume was AF.
My dose is 2.5 . I'm only taking a half now. I imagine 10mg would have quite an effect! I'm glad you have settled. I shall speak to the doctor. I'm not sure I would get to speak to the consultant.
Once again thanks.
At least I know not to panic now. Its good to get information.

I'm so glad to have GN. I rang Benenden for some info and they are only operating the members telephone line Mon-Fri during the pandemic.

silverlining48 Sun 07-Jun-20 13:38:43

Annepl I am not particularly fit or active, am border obese, have never played any sports. My lowest ever BP was 70/30 after a minor op.
I started walking a bit in my 50 s., generally do between 3 and 5 or 6 miles, once or twice a week, more lately, but dislike hills as I get out of breath which is why I find my stats so strange. Doctors I have seen over the years don’t seem concerned.

BlueSky Sun 07-Jun-20 13:45:12

Silverlining how did you feel with a 70/30 bp? I'm asking because when mine dropped suddenly to 70/40 I actually passed out!

silverlining48 Sun 07-Jun-20 14:20:40

Bluesky I felt fine, until the nurse tested it. They gave me tea and toast and had to stay there til the bp increased.
I have menieres which does cause dizziness, I passed out once but don’t think this is connected.

silverlining48 Sun 07-Jun-20 14:23:11

Annepl I was actually in Benenden when all this happened.

annep1 Sun 07-Jun-20 14:46:21

Goodness that was extremely low Silverlining. Your bp does sound puzzling. I would have thought like Bluesky that you would have felt something, like very faint.
Scary indeed. Makes mine sound wonderful.

Charleygirl5 Sun 07-Jun-20 16:45:41

annepl I would take your pulse and BP twice a day for a week- record it and if it is still so low it would be no harm to contact the surgery and hopefully be re- assured by a doctor.

annep1 Sun 07-Jun-20 19:46:27

Thanks* Charleygirl5* I will get it checked because I don't feel quite right but that sounds like a good plan.

Puzzled Tue 16-Jun-20 08:55:20

DW was put on beta blockers. Slowed her heart until she was seeing stars.
She cut the tablets in half and has been much better since, but I think that she could do with an ever smaller dose, since she is always chilly, and BP and HR are fairly low.
Can you get lower dose tablets?

annep1 Tue 16-Jun-20 15:03:01

Puzzled I am taking half of the 2.5 mg that I am meant to take and struggling with pulse and bp not to mention pains. I stopped a few days felt better, went back on and the same. I think by Thursday I might ring the doctor. Am sitting on bed with fleecy d/gown. Perhaps your daughter needs a review too. But don't we just hate having to ring the doctor, and let's face it, he's a GP, we really need the consultant to review the medication.