Gransnet forums

Health

Strange symptoms

(32 Posts)
B9exchange Thu 11-Jun-20 13:24:18

I'd second trying Windeze or peppermint oil, but only after you have tried your GP's recommendation of a week's Gaviscon.

MamaCaz Thu 11-Jun-20 13:21:38

I sometimes get something that sounds very similar to what you describe, ExD, though mine doesn't usually last that long - one very bad day (or more commonly, night rather than day, as it often starts late afternoon), then increasingly weak 'aftershocks' for a few days after that.

My stomach (and I do mean stomach, rather than abdomen) feels bloated and painful, and anything that helps me to burp relieves it temporarily, though it doesn't make it go away. Only time does that.

In fact, I have found that precisely because they help me to burp, fizzy drinks do help a bit, though in my case lemonade-type drinks make it worse, but fizzy water helps.

Over time, I have learnt a few other tricks -when the discomfort begins, I stay as upright as I can, and even jog on the spot to try to release any gas that is trapped in my stomach. It can help, and very occasionally even staves off the attack.l

Anything that I eat while suffering from this makes the discomfort more severe. The worst bout I ever had was while away on a break, and though I as already in discomfort, I felt I had to eat out inrestaurant with OH. Huge mistake, resulting in an awful night!

Missfoodlove Thu 11-Jun-20 13:17:32

Windeze are excellent as are Buscopan both available OTC.
I have had a similar problem in the past but experienced pain, the above worked quickly.

MissAdventure Thu 11-Jun-20 12:53:14

I'd go for the burp option as well as taking gaviscon.

Too much acid can give rise to some strange symptoms.

moggie57 Thu 11-Jun-20 12:49:07

try probiotics.......a lot of people are experiencing constipations during the covid 19. i wouldnt drink fizzy drinks ,this makes it worse...

V3ra Thu 11-Jun-20 12:43:03

I find these really effective:

www.healthspan.co.uk/products/peppermint-oil

ExD Thu 11-Jun-20 12:37:41

I feel as though my stomach (not my gut) is full of wind and I desperately want to burp - but can't. I've had it about a week and its so painful its stopping me sleeping.
I had a telephone conversation with my GP and he suggested acid reflux and recommended gaviscon - but even though I explained there is no acid and no heartburn he said try it for a week and report back. I feel 'fobbed off' but concede he has many much more serious problems to deal with that a bit of indigestion.
I really really need to sleep.

Although he said avoid fizzy drinks - I feel like drinking a glass of fizzy pop quickly - and hopefully provoke the much needed burp.
Would that be a really bad idea?