Gransnet forums

Health

Turmeric

(10 Posts)
Sunnysideup Tue 23-Jun-20 09:03:24

I keep seeing this advertised as being helpful in reducing inflammation. However, every time I try it, it upsets my stomach and I feel really uncomfortable. I have painful arthritis and I’ve heard it can help with this. Does anyone know of a brand of turmeric that may not upset my tum.

Harris27 Tue 23-Jun-20 09:07:55

I’ve read this too and would love to hear if anyone has used it.

OceanMama Tue 23-Jun-20 09:25:15

I take turmeric but aren't sure if it actually helps anything. Do you take it with food? Maybe, if you don't, that would help? Apparently glucosamine can help with arthritis but it gave me terrible heartburn. Also not ideal for people with high blood pressure, so if anyone is interested in that one, make sure you check it out to see if it's okay for you first. Fish oil is also supposed to be good.

Grandmafrench Tue 23-Jun-20 09:47:53

I don’t have any stomach problems with turmeric, which is a known, superb anti-inflammatory. I’ve taken it for the last 2 years and it’s made a great difference to my movement and to reducing inflamed hip/pain. You want something pure and strong...spooning extra powder into curries doesn’t work.

I also recently started taking Glucosamine + Chondroitin which, after a month, dramatically reduced stiff joints, pain from an old ankle injury, and gave me back strong knees - really noticeable if I use steps or stairs.

The products are: Holland & Barrett Nature’s Garden Turmeric 400mg (2 soft capsules per day) I take 1 after lunch and another after supper.
www.hollandandbarrett.com

Have recently changed to same brand but a stronger 600mg Turmeric with Black Pepper (but only 1 capsule per day.

Healthspan www.healthspan.co.uk Glucosamime& Chondroitin 500mg Glucosamine and 100mg Chondroitin combined. (120 tablet pack - 4 tablets per day. (2 after lunch and 2 supper)

They’re not cheap but work brilliantly for me and lots of friends.

PamelaJ1 Tue 23-Jun-20 09:51:59

After following Michael Mosley’s advice I take turmeric mixed with full fat yogurt and ground pepper before breakfast every morning. It’s not nice but one gets used to it.
It’s the only supplement I take I think it works. I’ve never had any problems with it.

Helennonotion Tue 23-Jun-20 10:06:13

Golden paste, a home made mixture of turmeric, oil and black pepper. I've been using this for almost 3 years, my dog too! I swear it helps with our osteo arthritis and I've only had one cold in all the time I've been taking it. It does have many other health benefits, but you need to research if you can take it alongside any of your current medication. I make huge batches at a time (it's super easy) and freeze it in weekly doses, which makes it much much cheaper than buying capsules or tablets. I just put a dollop in the dogs food and the same on whatever I'm eating. It does take some getting used to but I hardly taste it now. I'ts nice in baked beans!
www.facebook.com/groups/turmericusergroupuk/ This is a really helpful support group. I'm sure there are many other online forums/sites if you don't have Facebook. I do however, take the capsules when I'm away from home for convenience as the paste needs to be refrigerated. Sunnysideup When you start taking this you begin with a small amount and then build up the dose so your tummy gets used to it and hopefully doesn't get upset. From a coffee bean size to a dessertspoon full in my case!

MayBee70 Tue 23-Jun-20 10:57:36

It does thin the blood so you can’t take it if you’re on warfarin etc. I swear by it, too.

Sunnysideup Tue 23-Jun-20 16:48:33

Thank you so very much for your informative replies. I shall carry on researching and shall try the supplement again.

Sussexborn Tue 23-Jun-20 16:56:36

I have been taking glucosamine for some years. Forgot to pack them when we went on holiday and found out the hard way how much they help. I also take turmeric and vitamin D as I burn if I sit out in the sun.

I use Healthspan and find the service excellent and they are helpful if you have any questions.

Sunnysideup Wed 24-Jun-20 17:53:54

Have just ordered Smart Turmeric online. It has black pepper and ginger in it as well so I’m hoping the ginger may help it be kinder to my tum. I will start with a small dose after food as recommended and see how I go. Thanks again for all your suggestions.