Gransnet forums

Health

knee replacement done privately

(25 Posts)
patcaf Fri 26-Jun-20 17:23:51

You will probably have to pay for an x-ray first of all so that they can assess the damage and give you a price. My x-ray was £150. I only needed a partial knee replacement which was £5000. Well worth it as I basically got my life back after being in constant pain for 15 months. This covered everything although I had no issues so had no need to go back. Not cheap so I would explore all avenues with NHS first.

Puzzler61 Fri 26-Jun-20 17:02:18

My DH had a TKR and was expecting to have it done privately (he’d previously had arthroscopies when cartilage is scraped out from around the kneecap). He was working at that time and had private health insurance.

However the TKR was done on the Nhs, in the same “Private hospital” , by the same Surgeon because it was deemed to be urgent - so he didn’t wait on a list.

He received the same care - I believe there were a few differences like the menu he was offered for meals (!) and follow-up physiotherapy (he arranged and paid for his own).

Within 3 months he was driving the car and playing golf and he certainly couldn’t do that when he was in so much pain prior to the surgery.

He was very good at doing the exercises, and there was pain and swelling in the first 2 weeks.

Chewbacca Fri 26-Jun-20 16:52:30

Jog on rufus.

Charleygirl5 Fri 26-Jun-20 16:23:25

I am lucky- I live not a million miles away from an orthopaedic hospital. It does not even take A&E admisions any more. I think there is more time for care than in an orthopaedic ward in a general hospital where one is seemingly on a conveyer belt.

grannysyb Fri 26-Jun-20 16:22:42

Its obviously a post code lottery, mine was June from start of pain to October, so sorry for all you who are having to deal with this.

Jane10 Fri 26-Jun-20 16:17:34

Charleygirl no extra charges payable. I had to go back in for manipulation under anaesthetic due to the expletive deleted physio and all included in the package.
I was so impressed that I've now taken out private medical insurance. If only I'd had it before. Oh well.
I know I'm lucky. I don't take any if this for granted and only wish NHS joint replacement depts could handle the demand better.

Charleygirl5 Fri 26-Jun-20 16:15:06

That used to be an easy way to get "in the back door" but that has now changed.

ann ditto for you, I would burst in to tears and say you cannot continue.

tickingbird Fri 26-Jun-20 15:54:50

I know two people who have paid for a private consultation and then the surgeon has done the operation on the NHS.

Rufus2 Fri 26-Jun-20 15:50:05

have a fall, fracture my knee
Chewbacca and while you're at it, get them to repair your fractured skull! Unfortunately they haven't worked out how to do a TSR yet! grin

annsixty Fri 26-Jun-20 15:41:50

I am wondering the same about my hip replacement.
I was due to have it March 27th and it was cancelled March 22nd.
Jane describes it so accurately, I lurch from chair to chair and have two walking aids, one with two trays and one with a bag attached for carrying things.
I have not a single step without extreme pain and feel so very helpless and very depressed.
I have had a call from the hospital to say elective surgery is starting in July, but when will my turn be?
Would I have to start the whole process again to be seen privately and really more to the point, is it worth it for me in particular as in 2 weeks I will be 83!,

Chewbacca Fri 26-Jun-20 15:32:42

I've just contacted my GP today to ask if there was any sign of my KTR being scheduled and was referred back to the hospital. They say thatbtheyre only dealing with "emergency breaks and fractures" and no date is known for starting elective surgery again. The pain is all encompassing and miserable and I'm wondering whether I should dispense with my walking stick, have a fall, fracture my knee and get it done that way. Desperate times. sad

pinkquartz Fri 26-Jun-20 15:22:09

I have been turned down twice for knee replacement as despite really needing it my overall health is too poor and I would not be able to complete the necessary exercise program.
who have knee replacements regret them!

Is this true? Does anyone here have any views on this?

Apparently this can be down to chronic pain continuing despite the replacement or an infection.

I wondered if I was being scared off......I have a dodgy immune system and have had rather a lot of hospital and other other infections so yes I was put off, but then as they had refused me there wasn't really a choice.

loopyloo Fri 26-Jun-20 15:13:55

I would go back to your GP and do something like burst into tears. Or write to them saying how low it is making you feel.
I think you need to pressurise them a bit.

Charleygirl5 Fri 26-Jun-20 14:16:16

Jane it is fine going privately provided everything is 100%. I spent 11 days in hospital after my second knee replacement so thank goodness I was NHS and was not worrying about finding extra money.

Jane10 Fri 26-Jun-20 14:11:03

It was the potential wait that worried me. Life was constant pain and all I could do was lurch from seat to seat. The thought of more years of this was awful. I couldn't exercise, weight was piling on as a result etc etc etc so I looked on it as an investment in quality of life. I looked on it as the price of a car, my knees were also transport so I bought new ones. Good result. I appreciate my pain free mobility every day.

kangaroo73 Fri 26-Jun-20 11:32:47

Had my right hip replaced Successfully on the NHS. Unfortunately my left hip worsened immediately after that. I couldn’t bear to wait another year or possibly more so I had to use my savings. It was £13000 and covered everything. The irony is I had the same surgeon (my choice)

Rufus2 Thu 25-Jun-20 14:07:52

Has anyone had a knee replacement done privately
travelnan Good Evening! Yes! Both of them and still good after several years!
The secret is private health insurance and it's odd that nobody has mentioned it!
OZ is not dissimilar to the UK in these matters and seeing a boneman privately is a doddle. Have your consultation and he (usually a 'he') says can you come in tomorrow? smile
You're going to ask "and how much does that cost?'
Nothing like £12,000 and includes all necessary post-op physio.
One of our best decisions in our later years was to eschew round the world cruises etc, which I'd detest even more now,. and invest in health insurance which has paid off, not only for peace of mind.
My brother died of pancreatic cancer in England and BUPA were excellent!
Good Health and Good Luck.
OoRoo

grannysyb Wed 24-Jun-20 20:32:43

Lucky enough to have my hip done early October 2019, it had become painful in June 2019. There is a stand alone unit in Epsom which only cost does hips and knees. In my section of the ward there were only two of us. The op went really well, but it took me a couple of days to start physio as my blood pressure fell and I was a bit wobbly. I went home after 4 days, brilliant care, had physio locally, it was like being in a private hospital, apart from the food! Wonderful NHS care.

Chewbacca Wed 24-Jun-20 18:23:54

Out of my league then. Back to being number 1,409,337 on the NHS waiting list. sad

Jane10 Wed 24-Jun-20 18:13:00

I used my NHS retirement lump sum to pay for my private knee ops. The prices were around those stated above and covered absolutely everything including physio (if wanted) I was even given various aids to take home as well as any meds required which was helpful. No complaints. I was in for 4 nights which I was pleased about as I'd heard NHS discharge people the next day. I really wouldn't have been up to that.
I initially checked the NHS vs the private hospital infection control records and wasn't impressed by the NHS data! Just one hospital of course. I'm sure they'll all have had to up their game lately!

Fennel Wed 24-Jun-20 17:57:33

Not knee replacement, but last year I had been waiting for a hernia op. for some time and decided to try to go private.
I rang the secretary of the surgeon and he rang me back.
He asked if we were privately insured and when I said no he advised against it because of the risk of expensive follow-up problems.
But he said he would do it ASAP on the NHS which he did.
And he was right, as there were followup problems.

tanith Wed 24-Jun-20 17:42:58

Private hospital near me a knee replacement is between 11K and 14+K depending on which prothesis is used. A lot of money but when you’re in pain it doesn’t seem so much.

Davidhs Wed 24-Jun-20 17:27:17

I am looking as well because of the waiting list, here a private full knee replacement is listed at £13,000, that’s in the Midlands other areas may be different, not sure about aftercare.
The NHS has some flexibility if you write to them stating why you deserve to be done sooner, a friend of mine did and had one quite quickly

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 24-Jun-20 17:20:36

Most private healthcare providers will give you a rough guide on their websites, for various ops.

travelnan Wed 24-Jun-20 17:03:34

Has anyone had a knee replacement done privately? Could you advise how much it costs. Did it include aftercare? I have been waiting for a year for a knee replacement and due to Covid it will probably be another year before it eventually gets done. I am in a great deal of pain and just wondered how much it would cost to have it done privately. Thank you.