Gransnet forums

Health

Cellulitis and calf swelling

(4 Posts)
Coolgran65 Thu 25-Jun-20 00:10:56

Hi ladies, I have several chronic health conditions including RLS 24/7 with insomnia, Diabetes, blood pressure, COPD, Obstructive Sleep Apnea just diagnosed but not yet treated.

However my main problem at the moment is a swollen calf with a rough red rash around the ankle. I was checked at a local hospital and told not cellulitis, no clot, get gp to check for heart failure. My GP did the blood test and no heart failure and kidneys ok.
Then at the main City Hospital I had an EGG and was told heart electrics are ok and also told that it was cellulitis on my ankle and leg, and that the swelling on my foot and calf is all from the cellulitis.
Two hospitals and differing opinions.

So .... 5 days ago GP started me on an antibiotic which would be the treatment for cellulitis. He also changed my blood pressure tablet to one that includes a diuretic.
5 days on, the rash is fading somewhat. But the swelling isn't showing much signs of reduction. It still aches and is still tender to touch.
5 days in and I'm not noticing the diuretic working, not going to the bathroom extra.

I'm generally a strong person. These last couple of years it seems to have been one thing after another health wise but for whatever reason this particular issue of cellulitis and swelling foot and calf is really getting me down.

Does anyone have any experience

GrandmaMoira Thu 25-Jun-20 15:06:59

I've had cellulitis quite often following insect bites. It is painful and disabling. I've usually managed to get antibiotics pretty quickly and maybe they are taking longer to work as you had a delay in diagnosis. I would let the GP know that they are not working as maybe you need a different antibiotic prescribed.
I didn't notice going to the bathroom more with diuretics but I lost about 7lb in one week so they definitely had an effect - I had to stop taking them.

Dillyduck Thu 25-Jun-20 15:13:37

I had cellulitis not long after a knee replacement. I bought a "Circulation Booster" you put your feet on a floor gadget, and it stimulates your muscles with an electrical pulse. Chased away all the swelling. Check with your GP or pharmacist that it's OK, as you have over issues too.

BlueBelle Thu 25-Jun-20 15:30:14

I had cellulitis from either an insect bite of a minute bit of athletes foot no one was sure which, neither was I
It was awful and didn’t respond to anti biotics not the stronger anti biotics so I ended up having intravenous antibioticS and it did work then I didn’t have much swelling but the red blue colouring gradually climbing up my leg it got to mid thief before it improved Was scary