Gransnet forums

Health

Deodorising products for Urine stink (help needed)

(34 Posts)
ExD Mon 06-Jul-20 10:18:17

My daughter's MIL is incontinent and her house stinks. She wears huge pads (which she hates) from the NHS but takes them off and then sits, in her dressing gown with no knickers, in her chair and pees! The pads are bulky but don't seem very absorbent.
Her chair cushions are fixed and cannot be removed to launder the covers.
Understandably her Home Helps say they are not there to clean, and anyway they have enough trouble trying to get her to use pads in the first place. She refuses to get into bed at night and insists on sleeping upright in her chair, even though it reclines.
I don't have first hand knowledge of this as I haven't visited since the pandemic so all this is gleaned from tearful phonecalls from DD who seems to have been landed with the problem.
SIL and DD are trying to care for her in her own home.
The house reeks of urine.
I can only make suggestions to my DD as its not my business really, but she's heading for a breakdown she's so stressed.
The potential for spreading covid horrifies me too - with all those different carers coming and going, but again its no business of mine so I keep quiet on that score.
BUT enough of that. I'm looking for practical suggestions re cleaning products and perhaps better pads than those supplied free from the NHS, for a tiny lady who seems to have a huge bladder!
Any ideas?

Feelingmyage55 Wed 08-Jul-20 14:29:18

How thoughtful of you to reply. Yes leave your DD to digest the information and decide whether to be reactive or let it go. It is very draining and in a few weeks it may feel different. Good wishes.

Carenza123 Thu 09-Jul-20 09:19:19

I cannot identify with urine problems as luckily there has been no issues with past family members. I think it is so helpful to post here and glean very useful information from Gransnetters who have “been there - done that”. Your poor dd must be at the end of her tether and hope she puts these ideas into practice. I have however had experience of a VERY stubborn mil. Good luck.

Callistemon Thu 09-Jul-20 09:32:34

Callistemon

You can buy incontinence chair pads online.

You can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped, can you
Sums it up ExD.

All you can do is support your own DD and make practical suggestions if they want them. Your SIL is the one who must persuade his mother to have more help if it is available.

The chair pads look good, no need to replace the chair as they are rather like waterproof mattress covers but come in different colours to match the suite.
I know a friend used own brand pull-ons as she had temporary problems, they are less bulky than pads but I don't know how effective they are.

Shropshirelass Thu 09-Jul-20 09:36:51

A friend of my Mom's used to wet her clothes and she used to put them to dry on the radiators without washing them! The smell was horrendous.

My Mom is the opposite, scrupulously clean and she wears a pad 'just in case' although she isn't incontinent and is 98 years old. She would be mortified if she wet her clothes or was smelly.

Alexa Thu 09-Jul-20 10:52:49

She needs a brand new chair with waterproof covers as specially made for incontinent people.

Wool blankets or rugs are great for absorbing liquid and can be thrown in the washing machine. It does not matter if they become shrunk or felted.

Lavender is the best scent for masking urine smell.

I should think the poor lady is more comfortable with her lower body open to the air than with a wet pad against her skin. She can wear a large apron when she is in her chair, or a long loose skirt if she walks about.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 12-Jul-20 12:28:57

If your daughter can't persuade her MIL to use a plastic covered chair, for which I do not blame her, try to find a chair with foam rubber cushions covered in cotton, the same size as garden furniture cushions.

Have at least two sets and wash them when she wets them.

It might be possible to put the foam rubber cushion in a plastic bag and the cotton cover over it, so the poor lady is not sitting on plastic.

Your daugther and son-in-law are going to have to be very demanding with social services, his mother's GP and anyone else who can and will provide proper care.

Alexa Sun 12-Jul-20 14:17:30

The local authority or the Red Cross might supply incontinence equipment, if the old lady can't afford a waterproof chair. By the sound of it she might need vinyl flooring as well.

A person who is incontinent of urine sometimes finds it soothing to sit in warm water. This can be managed with a portable bidet on wheels, or make one out of a sanichair with a basin inserted in the hole.

boodymum67 Mon 13-Jul-20 14:33:04

Hello Exd, this is something I have personal knowledge f and feel I can speak openly here. Incontinence is something I have had to live with since becoming disabled with MS.

I have always been fastidious in my personal hygiene habits and worried that other people may find I, or my home, may smell of urine.

But I am assured by family and carers that neither is the case. Before I found the solution to any possible unpleasant smells, I did find my bedroom carpet held a deep down smell, which regular cleaning products could not remove long term.

Urine can seep into a carpet and crystals form deep down, even after shampooing and the smell can return.

The only way to deal with this is to remove the carpet and have washable flooring like vinalay.

Next to pads......I am supplied with NHS ones...Hartman Products. They are bulky, but sitting in a wheelchair does hide their visibility. And if my supra pubic catheter should bypass, these pads hold a full bladder`s urine, without smell or leakage.

So this is the answer to smells with your daughter`s MIL.
BUT if she wont use them, it wont work.