Gransnet forums

Health

Is it worth buying a 'Fat Scale'?

(63 Posts)
Rowantree Fri 17-Jul-20 17:30:38

Is it worth buying one of those body fat scales or are they for entertainment only? I've seen mixed reviews on Amazon. I can't afford - and wouldn't spend - some of the high prices advertised and would prefer to keep it under £35. Is that pointless?
Feel free to guffaw/snort and tell me I'd be wasting my money and why - or that you bless the day you got one because it's a real game-changer.

GrannyLaine Sun 19-Jul-20 14:43:13

My instinct - which I trust - tells me that a device which runs a small electrical current up my leg absolutely CANNOT detect the percentage of visceral fat I have. If I want to know how much fat my leg contains, I could just as easily look at it.
wink

Juicylucy Sun 19-Jul-20 15:03:34

I’ve got a set of them, but I feel they were a novelty, we all jumped on them checked out all the info it had to offer and never used them since.I have been told since buying them they are not accurate so make of that what you will

mokryna Sun 19-Jul-20 15:27:19

My DD has a pair of these intelligent scales. Great I thought, two feet on you see your weight, then balance on one foot, bit more difficult, to be told your muscle percentage.... it registered water percentage for me. Not muscle or fat sad. Where did I go wrong, my DD had never seen this before.

Nagmad2016 Sun 19-Jul-20 15:27:29

My local health centre has a weighing machine that will give you a print out of your weight and BMI scale. It might be worth asking at your Dr's surgery if they have one, if you are concerned that is. I have always found bathroom scales sufficient to show if my weight is increasing. I would save your money.

CleoPanda Sun 19-Jul-20 15:46:43

I realise many of the more recent posters will not have read my earlier comment but just to reiterate.
I find these scales really useful to motivate me.
When I use them in the same level place they are consistently accurate on weight as I’ve tested then regularly with known weights.
They do show body fat and do show fluctuations in it. I’ve read that the measurements are indicative of whole body proportions, not simply in the legs.
Personally, I know I would never ever visit my GP to discuss body fat proportions!! Or use a public weighing scale !
BMI is generally useful for seeing approximately where in the scale you are but can’t give you any extra info.
My scales weren’t cheap but nether were they expensive.
Check brand reviews. When I bought mine, this brand and model we’re well reviewed.
I wouldn’t bother with unknown or bargain brands unless they were well reviewed and recommended as they may be totally false economy.
I do enjoy seeing the fat proportions go down as I eat more healthily and exercise more.
To me they are are worth every penny.

HillyN Sun 19-Jul-20 17:54:02

My scales show % body fat as well as body mass and BMI. They aren't anything special but I do find it useful, when I put on weight while I'm on holiday, to know whether it is fat or muscle from the extra exercise.
Argos do one similar to mine for £30: www.argos.co.uk/product/4246482?clickSR=slp:term:scales:7:79:1

janeainsworth Sun 19-Jul-20 19:15:30

Thank you for the link Hilly and the information Cleo.

Jani31 Mon 20-Jul-20 17:17:22

A daily walk since Lockdown, with 2 hills has made me fitter and half a stone lighter. My breathing is easier on the hills. I looked up my BMI and I am 3 pounds above normal. Oh well back to walking ?‍♀️

Rowantree Tue 21-Jul-20 19:23:37

Thanks all for your input and also for your lovely encouraging words - means a lot.
I think that, for the moment, I won't waste my money. Looking at the reviews of some of the scales, they all have glitches and faults and it's not clear how accurate they are at measuring internal fat which is what I'm concerned about mostly. I can see what's coming off (partly from the loose, wrinkly, flabby skin left behind which will never be the same again!) but I was always a pear shape and my legs are still like Cumberland sausages. I can't pop in to the surgery as they don't allow that now, so that will have to wait - it won't be regarded as serious enough, I'm certain.

Yesterday I had a treadmill echocardiogram, so I hope to find out whether my heart and the environs are OK. I'd been having some intermittent episodes of bad breathlessness, which could have been that I was unfit, or possibly very mild athsma (I have a puffer but rarely need to use it as I don't run fast unless essential).
I'll continue as best I can with the exercise routine and healthy eating which is working well in lockdown with no meals out or holidays to shift me off course - as with many of us!

Shropshirelass Wed 22-Jul-20 08:53:52

I would save your money for something else. Go on a sugar free, low carb way of eating and your body fat will disappear and you won't need your scales.

Rowantree Mon 27-Jul-20 15:06:17

I agree, Shropshirelass. That's exactly what I have been doing. The fat is slowly melting but it's taking its time, and though I'm no longer in the obese category I'm still very overweight. That said I feel (physically at any rate) loads better for being slimmer. I've dropped a dress size or two (depending on the type of garment) and my bras no longer fit properly. I'm very pear-shaped - always have been - and the fat is still stubbornly clinging to hips, tummy and legs, but I'm going to keep on going till it starts to vanish.
I avoid biscuits, cakes and sweets apart from a very occasional treat and limit wholemeal bread. pasta, and so on. If I eat breakfast it's a mix of a few jumbo oats, buckwheat flakes, ground seeds, a few mixed nuts and some oat milk. No sugar.
I will leave buying a fat scale, I think, having weighed up the advice and suggestions here. Wise G-Netters, thank you!

LevHill Sun 09-Aug-20 16:43:44

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.