Gransnet forums

Health

Advise please re Citalopram

(30 Posts)
F0wey Sun 19-Jul-20 10:38:49

After a horrid few months with health issues, I have been diagnosed with depression and prescribed the anti depressant Citalopram. My main symptoms are horrid panic attacks, insomnia, loss of appetite.
I am a bit of an anti tab freak, and I am scared of the side effects and eventually trying to come off of them. In fact the thought of taking them sends my anxiety levels through the roof!
Can anyone relate to that? Am I being irrational? Anyone had a positive outcome by taking them?
My family and friends are encouraging me to try them, as they can see how I am struggling and want me to get better, which of course is understandable. But they don’t understand my fear of the whole scenario.
Am I being unreasonable or can I get through this without medication?
Your personal experiences would be very much appreciated.
Thank you

Gandtee Thu 30-Jul-20 18:51:06

I've been taking them on and off for 5 years since I retired and my anxiety went through the roof What should have been a positive time became really stressful. My doctor prescribed Citalopram and I was so sad that I took it but wasn't happy about taking it. Years on and feel much better and every time I stop taking it I feel my symptoms return. Doctor happy to keep prescribing so can see me taking them for ever Still not happy and slightly embarassed about taking them Still a stigma about mental illness and would never admit taking them to friends .

Summerlove Thu 30-Jul-20 22:39:33

Gandtee

I've been taking them on and off for 5 years since I retired and my anxiety went through the roof What should have been a positive time became really stressful. My doctor prescribed Citalopram and I was so sad that I took it but wasn't happy about taking it. Years on and feel much better and every time I stop taking it I feel my symptoms return. Doctor happy to keep prescribing so can see me taking them for ever Still not happy and slightly embarassed about taking them Still a stigma about mental illness and would never admit taking them to friends .

Please try to get past the embarrassment. There is no shame in getting help for a physical problem, and there should not be for a Mental one.

Have you looked into a therapist? Working the two angles together can be extremely helpful.

mantaray Fri 07-Aug-20 14:12:54

I'm surprised when I hear people who feel really anxious or depressed say they don't want to take tablets.If they had diabetes would they refuse to take insulin? My doctor says she cannot understand this attitude from people who would demand every drug going for visible physical ailments,but refuse them for mental complaints

rafichagran Fri 07-Aug-20 20:00:31

I have taken them for alot of years and have no side affects. The only bad side affects I get is if I stop taking them suddenly. I have reduced my dose though.