Gransnet forums

Health

Advise please re Citalopram

(29 Posts)
BladeAnnie Sun 19-Jul-20 10:52:00

Please give them a try. I'm a mental health nurse (shielding atm) and sometimes people do improve without medication but antidepressants really can help. You have to give them time to work - it's not like taking paracetamol for instance but I'm sure this has been explained to you. There is no shame in taking them if that is what is worrying you? Feel free to send me a pm if you would like to talk x

MellowYellow Sun 19-Jul-20 10:51:40

Not personally, but my daughter has high end OCD and anxiety and depression and hates taking tablets. As do I, but I could see she needed relief from it all and gently encouraged her to try a course of tablets. It has helped a lot. Now she has decided she doesn't need them any more and is coming off them. If I were you F0wey I would listen to the one person you trust the most and take their advice. There may be some side effects, but maybe not, and you can eventually choose to come off the tablets. I wish you well, it's not easy having panic attacks and your body and mind need a break.

henetha Sun 19-Jul-20 10:48:19

I've just responded to your other thread about CBD oil and Citalopram. I took Citalopram for panic attacks and depression and it definitely helped me and I had no side effects. I also had CBT at the same time, and together they helped me tremendously. (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy).
I think your family and friends are right, and I think your fears about taking Citalopram would fade as you, hopefully, started to feel better. The dosage would be gradually be reduced until you no longer needed them. Wishing you all the best.

F0wey Sun 19-Jul-20 10:38:49

After a horrid few months with health issues, I have been diagnosed with depression and prescribed the anti depressant Citalopram. My main symptoms are horrid panic attacks, insomnia, loss of appetite.
I am a bit of an anti tab freak, and I am scared of the side effects and eventually trying to come off of them. In fact the thought of taking them sends my anxiety levels through the roof!
Can anyone relate to that? Am I being irrational? Anyone had a positive outcome by taking them?
My family and friends are encouraging me to try them, as they can see how I am struggling and want me to get better, which of course is understandable. But they don’t understand my fear of the whole scenario.
Am I being unreasonable or can I get through this without medication?
Your personal experiences would be very much appreciated.
Thank you