Gransnet forums

Health

l hate the night l am so afraid l just eat and make myself so ill

(67 Posts)
jillgood Wed 22-Jul-20 02:00:01

As soon as it goes slightly darker l become very afraid, l have alot of health problems with my bowels but l seem to eat to comfort myself knowing it will make my bowels worse.
l feel so poorly right now as though l have pulled all my stomach muscles l cannot walk properly because my back and sides hurt through passing wind. l feel l may have done something by eating when l am so stressed and afraid as anyone got any advice l do not know where to turn.

Nanderin Tue 17-Nov-20 16:20:35

I feel the same I hate nightime and winter i get very down and stressed . I get jittery and restless wish I had someone to talk to.

annep1 Fri 21-Aug-20 18:46:30

Thank you Delila. ?

Delila Fri 21-Aug-20 18:10:11

It's great that you've found something that works so well for you Annepl and gives your brain a chance to switch off at last. Sixty-nine years is long enough and whatever it was that started your fear of the night belongs in the distant past. smile

annep1 Fri 21-Aug-20 14:33:02

It has Delilathank you. We loved it. I'm letting some time lapse before rewatching.
We followed it with Afterlife. I must look on TV forum for more recommendations.
Tbh the alarm doorstop has worked well or maybe my brain has finally decided at sixty nine there's no point in worrying any longer.

Delila Fri 21-Aug-20 12:58:02

Annepl, I hope Schitt's Creek has sent you to bed some nights relaxed and smiling?
An episode at bedtime works well for me.

MerylStreep Fri 21-Aug-20 12:02:02

Jillgood obviously knows that flatulance and poo always gets a good reaction.
I didn't believe a word of it from the off. Too much information given in the OP. That's always a clue.

Gandtee Fri 21-Aug-20 11:48:38

I added a comment to thank people for suggestions New to this posting so was unaware of protocol Didn't want to upset anyone Phoenix I've been lurking for a while now and may be a while before I post again if this is the reaction !

Franbern Sun 16-Aug-20 08:35:30

EllanVannin

I find the eating bit hard to understand because if I over-react to something, I can't eat and would be as sick as a dog if I tried.

Wish I could be like that. I am a compulsive eater - just love foo. Anything which upsets me and I turn to food for consolation.
Even when I am unwell I can still eat - in fact have to be very, very ill to lose my appetite. On the occasions that I do so, it rings serious alarm bells with my children.

therustyfairy Sat 15-Aug-20 22:40:53

NATURAL SOLUTION FOR BOWEL ISSUES
1 tablespoon of Olive Oil [120 calories] daily in the morning [not at night], followed by a drink or food [taste is not nice], interestingly Olive Oil also satiates the appetite.

I don't dissuade anyone from going to the GP however gasto-intestinal problems are utterly miserable and some medications prescribed for stomach and bowel do not ameliorate the problems, and can cause further constipation, bloating, indigestion, nausea and vomiting. After years of investigations and medication this discovery has changed my life - now only take 2 teaspoon olive oil a day [no more Laxido, Macrogel etc ] I URGE everyone to try this remedy before reaching for the proprietary brands of medications

EllanVannin Sat 15-Aug-20 21:40:20

I find the eating bit hard to understand because if I over-react to something, I can't eat and would be as sick as a dog if I tried.

ExD Sat 15-Aug-20 21:25:43

Try reading the letters of this group, I found a lot of good advice on there, and while my bowel troubles have been cured, at least they are under control.

www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bam%20%2F%20bad%2F%20bsm%20-%20bile%20acid%20malabsorption%20support%20group

Its a long link, but it works.

ExD Sat 15-Aug-20 21:23:17

Try looking at the letters and posts of the following group. My bowel problems have been a lot better since I followed the advice on there.

phoenix Sat 15-Aug-20 21:14:41

jillgood/Gandtee 're reading your posts, I'm wondering if they are totally right?

We are completely here for genuine posts, but get a bit miffed when people take the piss advantage.

Just saying. You may be 100% genuine, but the name change mid thread seems rather odd.

seacliff Sat 15-Aug-20 21:09:18

Phoenix, confused me too at first, then I noticed Gandtee9 posted on 2nd page that he/she also had a similar fear, and got several suggestions to try and help.

phoenix Sat 15-Aug-20 21:00:22

Confused! OP was by jillgood, yet we are thanked for our suggestions by Gandtee9

confused

Gandtee Sat 15-Aug-20 20:48:40

Thanks for your suggestions A pet is not a realistic option for me I'm afraid .I just find it strange and difficult to accept that I have such fear . I have been like this since I was a small child and always thought that I would grow out of it ! Maybe by the time I'm 90 I will be oksmile

Puzzled Sun 09-Aug-20 20:37:51

@Jillygood
Sorry to read of your problems. One stress aggravates another.
If it is the dark that worries you, have you thought of using one of these LED nightlights?
In UK they cost about £10 and plug into a wall socket. Running cost is almost nil, they are about 3 watts only, and provide enough light on the landing for us to find our way from bedroom to toilet without falling over, or walking into, anything.
If you can manage it, having a pet for company is a great help, for the companionship that they bring. True, they cost for food and need attention, (Walking if a dog) but a cat, if kept in at night, for their good as well as yours, can be very companionable, so that you know that you are not alone.

yggdrasil Sun 09-Aug-20 17:04:04

to the OP who lives alone, leave all necessary lights on at whatever level works. For the noises, keep a radio on all night. I find the World Service, which is all talk, easy to live with, and doesn't stop me sleeping. No point in being scared if you can make things how you can live with

LevHill Sun 09-Aug-20 16:44:16

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

annep1 Thu 30-Jul-20 22:33:25

I've no doubt hypnotherapy would work very well for many things welbeck and thanks for the suggestion. I just don't think it's for me. Perhaps Gandtee will try it.

welbeck Thu 30-Jul-20 22:15:20

what about hypnotherapy.
if you manage to get the right person, it can be helpful.
i read about one who helped people who were on the point of having bariatric surgery.
he managed to convince them that they had the same effects of the surgery without actually having had it.
i haven't explained it well. i was impressed.
he was somewhere in the midlands.
they felt as if their stomachs had been reduced/restricted; they could only eat small amounts and felt full.
i thought the nhs should send patients to him first, see if they can avoid the cost and risk of surgery. worth a try.

annep1 Thu 30-Jul-20 22:01:38

I can't think how a GP could help EllenVannin apart from strong sleeping pills which wouldn't happen.
You can't actually stop someone being afraid.

Gandtee Thu 30-Jul-20 21:22:39

I totally agree Annepl .Can't think that it's possible to change now. I also need lights on inside the house and couldn't live in an area with no street lights

EllanVannin Thu 30-Jul-20 21:19:45

The GP would have been the best place to start.

annep1 Thu 30-Jul-20 21:10:07

I'm the same. I'm an intelligent person and I know my fear is out of proportion to the chance of something happening. I've always been like this which is why I could never live in a detached house, or a quiet area. I need to know there's someone near. I can't think of an easy answer ( apart from hiring a security guard to stand outside all night!). I just make sure the house is well alarmed with security light on and a personal alarm beside my bed. It's always been such a handicap. People have suggested cbt but I know it wouldn't work. If I wasn't married now I would possibly think of having a lodger. How do you cope?