Gransnet forums

Health

Cataract and astigmatism

(29 Posts)
Jimpy Sat 25-Jul-20 20:28:50

Hi. I am about to have nhs cataract surgery but I have astigmatism. I am near sighted at the moment. Does anyone know what my result is likely to be? Will they make me long sighted ? Due to the covid, I have had no proper assessment, just a phone call. I am just going Tuesday to be "done".
I am worried that I will lose my near sight and be worse off. Help, please. I am on the verge of cancelling. Has anyone been through this experience?

miketom Fri 31-Jul-20 07:13:39

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Helennonotion Wed 29-Jul-20 20:46:30

Thanks Jimpy It was a bit of a shock! Look after that right eye! I have a friend who only has one good eye and he manages very well. It's only when something like this happens you realise how precious good eyesight is! Take care. flowers

mcem Wed 29-Jul-20 20:29:25

Sorry you're disappointed. My cataracts were dealt with very effectively. Excellent distance vision plus reading specs.
However a year or two later I had some blurring so went back to Vision Express where I was told I needed to go back to varifocal lenses. Utter tosh!
Second opinion at Boots diagnosed the very common post-op problem where the capsule can become cloudy.
Referred back to opthalmology and a five-minute appointment to have the cloudiness cleared by laser. Totally painless and stress-free and perfect ever since!
I did complain to Vision Express , received an apology and reassurance that they'd look again at their training and focus more on dealing with cataracts.

Very best of luck for
your next steps.

Jimpy Wed 29-Jul-20 20:15:21

Helenonotion. My goodness sorry to hear about your poor husband. I dont think there is any treatment for me. I just have to wait until I cant wait any more. I cant see that there will be a cornea donor for a transplant available for an old Granny anyway. I'm not going to worry about it. Just hope my right eye lasts me out wink
Luckygirl. I asked the question before he actually examined me and he said if I choose long sight lens then I will need varifocals to see dashboard in car. Hope this helps.

Helennonotion Wed 29-Jul-20 19:01:12

My husband went to Specs****s as he was having eyesight problems and was told he just had cataracts and when they had been done it would solve all of his problems! Fast forward several months, he lost his driving licence, lost his job and is now on the visually impaired register with a condition called Retinitis Pigmentosa. Sorry Jimpy I bet you are so disappointed and annoyed! Hope you get your treatment soon. Good luck!

Grannynannywanny Wed 29-Jul-20 00:17:01

Jimpy I’m so sorry for your disappointment. I’m inclined to agree with avitorl about some of the chains. Perhaps an independent optometrist who comes recommended might be the way to go now.
Wishing you all the best

avitorl Tue 28-Jul-20 23:54:54

So sorry to hear this. I now go to an independant Optometrist and find them really good.Sometimes the big Chains aren't quite so caring and careful.
Good luck with your future.

Jimpy Tue 28-Jul-20 23:08:51

Hi Grannynannywanny. I just dont know. I am so annoyed with Spec.....s they should have picked it up and referred me years ago instead of saying it was a cataract. I could then have had treatment to slow it down. I dont know if I will now hear from hospital about this. I will put it out of my mind now and carry on with my right eye which is ok with glasses..... and find myself a different optician!. Thanks for your interest. You take care.

Grannynannywanny Tue 28-Jul-20 15:25:07

Oh no Jimpy how disappointing for you when you had yourself psyched up and ready to go! I thought of you this morning and had hoped everything had gone to plan.

Does the problem you now know you have require any drops or treatment or have you just to continue as before?

Jimpy Tue 28-Jul-20 14:39:25

Well, I went at 11am ...and was home at 12.15...They didn't do me! When I had the check up with the surgeon, he discovered my cataracts didn't need doing. I have a different problem called Fuchs Endothelial Dystrophy.
Disappointed is an understatement. When the cataract does need doing in about 2 years time I will need a cornea transplant as well [?

Luckygirl Mon 27-Jul-20 18:45:06

I too am interested in whether the op creates clear distance vision, but make it impossible to read the car dashboard. Once years ago I got some distance vision glasses specifically for driving - I am very short-sighted and was using varifocals which I did not like driving with. I found I could not see a thing on the dashboard with the distance vision glasses!

Floradora9 Mon 27-Jul-20 16:43:15

you should have had a discussion with someone about what kind of lense you want. They can completely " cure " that eye but you are left with one good eye and one different eye. Some people cannot cope with this . My husband had to ask for his second eye to be done as well and for the first time on 50 odd years he has perfect far sight. However he needs glasses for reading . I am waiting to have one eye done and am going to opt for just a small correction as I have glaucoma in my other eye and they will not touch it unless it is badly needed . Have this talk before you are done .

Grannynannywanny Mon 27-Jul-20 10:56:53

Jimpy I’m delighted to see you are feeling more settled about your surgery tomorrow.

jaylucy Mon 27-Jul-20 10:27:59

Astigmatism is caused by the actual shape of the front of the eyeball - it is more shaped like a rugby ball than a football and something like 60% of people have this to some extent.
When the surgeon replaces the cataracted lens with the artificial one, you prescription is taken into account for that new lens to bring your vision as close as possible to perfect vision.
Near vision ,over the age of 40 or so , is determined by the muscles around the lenses, enabling the eye to focus by making the lens thicker or thinner as needed. Over 40, the muscles loose that accommodation, which is why most people need reading glasses as they get older.
No reason why you can't ask any questions of any of the medical staff at the clinic before anything is done.

Jimpy Mon 27-Jul-20 10:16:01

Thanks Ramblingrose22. I went from definitely cancelling, to feeling confident after all this help. You sound a similar prescription to me. My only question now, is how good is your vision for the instruments in the car, as obviously you couldn't put reading glasses on each time you wanted to glance down. I just wondered . ?

Ramblingrose22 Mon 27-Jul-20 00:29:54

I had astigmatism and short-sightedness in both eyes for years.

The surgery got rid of the "mild" astigmatism in one eye and halved the "moderate" astigmatism in the other eye. The consultant said it couldn't be removed altogether in the worse eye.

He offered laser treatment to get rid of the residual astigmatism but it only works in 95 per cent of cases and I would have needed the type of laser treatment that takes longer to recover from.

The reading lens didn't work for me because of the residual astigmatism in that eye so I still wear glasses for reading. I don't mind that because I was already used to wearing glasses for reading anyway.

The best thing has been the distance lens. It is wonderful to be able to see clearly in the distance - whether it is distant hills or the blades of grass that I walk on. I can even drive without glasses.

Let your consultant know your concerns and get the answers you need to avoid being stressed about the surgery.

Jimpy Mon 27-Jul-20 00:11:17

I am now a huge Gransnet fan. What lovely, funny and helpful people you are...thank you so much. ?

avitorl Sun 26-Jul-20 17:09:34

I've had both eyes done. I was short sighted with astigmatism,and had one eye done for short sight and the other for distance. I now don't need specs for anything.
This is not likely to be done unless you have 1 very dominant eye and unless you had a trial previously showing that you could cope with this,not everyone can. I had done this with contact lenses previously and it works well for me.I also had it done as a Private Patient but don't know why this should make any difference.
Good luck and the Op is like a miracle happening and is very quick too.

rowyn Sun 26-Jul-20 14:28:53

Had cataract op 4 days ago. Go for it!
You will be given the choice of 2 different lenses - not going to try and explain but you will definitely be able to ask questions etc before making your decision, and will have to sign a consent form, so can still refuse to have the op at that point. Don't be put off by the list of things that can go wrong - they have to cover themselves.
You will most definitely not LOSE sight. I have always been very shortsighted, with a massive difference between my eyes, which I didn't know was very unusual until the surgeon told me, The worst eye was operated on and I can now see better through that one than my other. I chose the distance lens - which doesn't make you 'longsighted' incidentally.
Takes time to settle, and you will need new glasses eventually but it is most definitely worth it.
The only downside - saw myself in the bathroom mirror a couple of days after the op and was horrified by this ancient wrinkled 76 year old staring back at me!
Good luck!

blossom14 Sun 26-Jul-20 14:24:48

I have astigmatism and had both eyes done 2 months apart about 8 years ago. Never looked back and can drive without glasses and need reading glasses for internet and newspaper. I overcome reading in bed by using a kindle and up the font size.
The change to colours and long vision was apparent from the first afternoon after the 1st op was done. Good Luck!

lindiann Sun 26-Jul-20 14:19:36

I posted on here a few years back as I chickened out of my first appointment but went to the second the Nurses were wonderful and I have never regretted it. Need glasses for close work reading but have noticed that is improving as I can now read without. Only thing is I get a halo in the dark if I catch a light but not much of a problem I can read number plates now and road signs very clearly. The procedure is quick and painless and better than the dentist who gave me an injection to numb and didn't wait long enough for it to work and it was bloody painful smile

Rosalyn69 Sun 26-Jul-20 14:05:56

My consultant suggested the long sighted lens and he was right. I just have glasses for “close work”. My eyesight has never been so good.
The recovery time is not as quick as suggested - at least not for me and quite a few people I know. It was a good six weeks before I personally felt ok. But worth it.

Grannynannywanny Sun 26-Jul-20 13:23:24

Jimpy you might find it helpful to write down a few specific points you want clarified and have the note with you on the day ready to ask. I’m sure someone will be happy to talk it over with you and put your mind at ease.

Wishing you well

Jimpy Sun 26-Jul-20 13:07:46

Thank you everyone for your useful comments. So if they are going to assess me actually on the day, I will be able to discuss my concerns then. I could even change my mind then if I wasn't happy. So long sighted lens even though I am short sighted now is not out of the question.

Welshwife Sat 25-Jul-20 21:23:29

DH had both his eyes done about 8 months ago and he is so pleased. He only wears his specs for close work and reading. We have an optician friend and he says if they ask you which type of lens say long sighted because the close work problem is easily sorted with reading glasses.