Gransnet forums

Health

Chiropractic query.

(9 Posts)
welbeck Mon 03-Aug-20 23:28:26

Ramblingrose22

I once had an assessment by a chiropractor. I wasn't having any pains - it was just to check that all was well.

He told me that my neck was stiffer than it should be and I was aware that I can turn my head less on one side than the other so I booked 3 brief sessions to try and correct any future problems.

I quickly cancelled the last session as I was worried when he hit my neck with his hand and made the discs "creak". It probably sounds crazy but I was frightened of them snapping and my neck being broken.

For these reasons I agree with those who prefer physios or osteopaths.

doesn't sound crazy at all, unfortunately.
cases of ruptured arteries and strokes, disc damage etc are real.

life.spectator.co.uk/articles/the-evidence-shows-that-chiropractors-do-more-harm-than-good/

Reubenblue Mon 03-Aug-20 20:37:06

Thank you all for the advice, my gp seemed to think a chiropractor would be ok so I went along, hurt a lot!
Not going again and wish I hadn’t been but my doctor has referred me for an MRI scan now so hopefully I’ll find out where the problem lies. Thanks again for sharing.

Katyj Mon 27-Jul-20 05:53:29

I also had vertigo from a chiropractor. Wouldn’t use one again. Good luck

Ramblingrose22 Mon 27-Jul-20 00:06:15

I once had an assessment by a chiropractor. I wasn't having any pains - it was just to check that all was well.

He told me that my neck was stiffer than it should be and I was aware that I can turn my head less on one side than the other so I booked 3 brief sessions to try and correct any future problems.

I quickly cancelled the last session as I was worried when he hit my neck with his hand and made the discs "creak". It probably sounds crazy but I was frightened of them snapping and my neck being broken.

For these reasons I agree with those who prefer physios or osteopaths.

welbeck Sun 26-Jul-20 23:34:41

i have read that some of their practices can be unhelpful, dangerous even.
stick to physios, or osteos.
read up on dangers of chiropractice.

Allegretto Sun 26-Jul-20 23:33:03

I should have added that my issue was also herniated discs. I know how painful the condition is and you have my sympathy, Reubenblue.

Allegretto Sun 26-Jul-20 23:31:26

I’ve tried many treatments, including chiropractic. It did help me but I was wary of being hurt.. I much prefer physiotherapy and wish I had found my (wonderful) physio years ago. A consultant once told me that I would find the right treatment for me and my back. I know now that for me, that is physiotherapy.

B9exchange Sun 26-Jul-20 22:53:43

Found a local osteopath very good, local GPs used to send their patients there, so knew they were okay.

Experience with a chiropractor not so good, gave me BPPV (a form of vertigo)

Reubenblue Sun 26-Jul-20 12:20:56

Has anyone here seen a chiropractor for a herniated disc?

I’ve been in pain for weeks and painkillers don’t touch it, also can’t take anti inflammatory because os asthma.

I’d appreciate your insight and tips,
Thank you.