Gransnet forums

Health

Unexpected benefit of taking Vitamin D.

(13 Posts)
Mamie Sat 15-Aug-20 19:12:40

I only take it in the winter and know when I need to start because my nails start flaking.

Marydoll Sat 15-Aug-20 19:07:41

I've been on prescribed industrial strength Vit D for years, as I have a severe deficiency.
Made absolutely no difference to my nails. ?

NanTheWiser Sat 15-Aug-20 18:31:56

I usually take it through the winter months, as Vit D is unavailable from October to March in the UK, and have noticed that my nails did benefit from it then. I usually use the oral spray from Better You, as it is absorbed more readily than tablets.

Esspee Sat 15-Aug-20 17:16:22

I prefer to get my vitamins naturally through food prepared from scratch, exposure to sunlight and lots of fresh air.
If you are housebound or on a restricted diet then I agree, supplementation is necessary.
Oddly my OH and I have noticed that when away on holiday and during lockdown our nails seem to grow much faster. No idea why.

DiscoDancer1975 Sat 15-Aug-20 17:07:50

I’ve been taking it for about three years, to alleviate menopausal symptoms. My hair and nails are good, but I don’t know how I would have been without it. I know it’s good for the respiratory system, so with Covid, it could be good.

cornergran Sat 15-Aug-20 16:55:13

Hasn’t worked for me sadly, don’t want to think my nails would be even worse without the Vitamin D.

Franbern Sat 15-Aug-20 15:55:43

Yes. I have been taken two x Adcal tabs each day (GP's orders), and Aldronic Acid once a week. Have spent most of my adult life despairing about my nails, which were always breaking and splitting - never looked good. As a teenagerI treid everything there was, even eating a cube of jeely each day (Ugh!!), spent a fortune on lotions and creams, etc. to no avail. The only time they were ever good were during each of pregnancies - but as soon as babies were born, they broke and got back to normal bad state.
Now, I am delighted with my nails. They look really respectable. I have put it down to Vit D etc. as that has been the only real change in my life.

Juliet27 Sat 15-Aug-20 14:01:49

I too have been taking Vit D for years. It hadn't occurred to me, but yes, my nails are far stronger than they used to be.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 15-Aug-20 13:50:24

I've been taking a Vit D tablet every day since I was on chemo as I was told that it would work better and I've continued.

My nails are a good deal better but I'm not sure if it's the Vit that's the cause. I put oil on them daily and as it must moisturise them very well I think that will get some of the credit. It's called 'Nuxe' from M&S.

FlexibleFriend Sat 15-Aug-20 12:09:19

I've been taking it for years and can't say I've noticed any difference.

Kate1949 Sat 15-Aug-20 11:50:40

I was hoping it would help my alopecia but no luck. Oh well.

Kate1949 Sat 15-Aug-20 11:49:45

Yes don't mind I've been taking vit D. My nails have been short, stubby and weak for years. They never grow at all. They are now strong and gorgeous smile

dontmindstayinghome Sat 15-Aug-20 11:46:22

I have been taking a vitamin D supplement since the start of Covid pandemic to give my immune system a boost (as recommended by Dr John Campbell).

I have noticed that my nails are much much stronger - no splitting, cracking or flaking at all. In fact i'm having to file them much more often as they are also growing much faster.

I assume that anyone who has thin weak hair would also notice an improvement - I have very strong thick hair so i've not noticed a change myself.

Has anyone else taking VitD noticed any changes?