Gransnet forums

Health

Explosions from back passage

(62 Posts)
Fennel Tue 18-Aug-20 17:16:59

I have a fear of being constipated. I think I must have inherited or learned this from my MGM who brought me up in my early years. She used to drink senna tea every day, so I take Sennacot tablets. But I think you can over-do it.
Since yesterday I've been rushing to the toilet every few hours - that's why I was posting so late last night.
What's the best way to "keep you regular"?
My Mum used to eat Allbran.
We do eat lots of veg and fruit and wholemeal bread and hardly any meat. So any other advice?
Husband says lots of water which I try to do but my blood pressure tablets drain me of water.

NotTooOld Tue 18-Aug-20 17:23:08

It's not a good idea to take any laxative long term, Fennel. Perhaps you should consult your doctor?
I find All Bran works for me and I agree with your DH that you need to keep hydrated. Do you get enough exercise?
If things get bad I do find that a really hot cup of tea and some chocolate helps!

Marydoll Tue 18-Aug-20 17:27:52

I agree with NotTooOld , it's not a good idea to rely on laxatives on a long term basis.
My friend ended up in A&E the other night and spent two days in hospital with dangerously low sodium levels.
The cause, long term use of laxatives.

You really need to speak to your doctor about your fears. It can also have a detrimental effect on the efficacy of other medication, if you are on any.

lemongrove Tue 18-Aug-20 17:28:53

I had to laugh at your thread title Fennel....terminal flatulence?! ?
No need to overdo all the bran and a bad idea to constantly use Sennacot as well.Yes, up your liquid intake and try things for a healthy gut such as probiotic cereal ( Kellogs oaty clusters I think) and Activia yoghurts.
With the kind of diet you mention, very healthy but you will
Need some protein as well.Sounds as if you are overdoing products which cause wind.

BlueBelle Tue 18-Aug-20 17:29:22

I thought MGM was a film studio ???
Don’t you think you’re overdoing it all taking senna everyday doesn’t allow your body to do it’s proper work as it’s relying on it being done for it so it’s hasn’t learned how to do it naturally
You don’t know if your body would perform correctly with a good diet and fresh veg etc because you ve never let it get to that point as you have an obsession to have unnaturally induced poos
Allow your body to work naturally it may take a while if you ve done it all your life but what an unnecessary nuisance you have caused yourself

GrannyGravy13 Tue 18-Aug-20 17:49:38

Sennacots every day are dangerous please wean yourself off of them.

Some people empty their bowels daily some every other day we are all different and what is normal for one person will not be for the next.

Please consult your GP or Nurse Practioner

Fennel Tue 18-Aug-20 17:55:23

grin
Oh you Gransnetters friends - I knew you would understand .
Even Lemon who is from the opposite political side from me.
We all get the same problems in old age.

heath480 Tue 18-Aug-20 18:12:37

Using Senokot like that will give you a greatly increased risk of Bowel Cancer,they are extremely detrimental to use long term.My mother in law used Senokot for years and developed Bowel Cancer,had I known she was doing that I would have advised against it.It is for occasional use only.

You need to consult your GP and find another laxative AllBran is a much better thing to use and drinking plenty of water.

EllanVannin Tue 18-Aug-20 18:24:42

Trying not to worry about not going would be a start as missing a day or two doesn't harm.
A strong cup of tea first thing every morning.
Stewed apple. A pear every day until you're regular.

If all else fails, phone Dyno-Rod.

SueDonim Tue 18-Aug-20 18:25:47

Adding something like chia seeds to your diet can help you be regular. They can be pricey but Aldi do bags of seeds for about £1.30.

MawB2 Tue 18-Aug-20 18:26:39

I used to find dried apricots (the ready to eat sort, which I have been known to snack on when cooking or baking with them ) to be extremely efficacious!

annsixty Tue 18-Aug-20 18:32:29

I am currently taking codeine and the ready to eat apricots and prunes plus kiwi fruit do the trick for me, like Maw

Elegran Tue 18-Aug-20 18:34:22

Plenty of water and other drinks to keep you hydrated - that is the best and easiest thing to do. If your BP tablets drain it all out again, then get into the habit of replacing as much and more as you have weed out. When you leave the loo, go to the kitchen tap, pour yourself a glass of water straightaway and drink it. At night, keep a bottle of water by your bed.

You say you eat the right things, so keep that up. Peanut butter spread on wholemeal toast also helps, or anything else with an oily texture.

You could encourage the relevant muscles to be more efficient. The ones in your gut are not very accessible for exercise, but the abdominal ones are. Bending, stretching and twisting all have an effect on the gut contents. When you are enthroned comfortably on the loo, relax, then do some upper body exercises. Bend as far forwards toward the floor as you can, then lean back, then forwards again and back, rhythmically, five, ten or maybe fifteen times. Then bend sideways in one direction and then the other as many times, then twist your upper body so that you face sideways, then to the other side for as many times. This can be surprisingly effective! which is why you do them while in situ (as it were)

I also second the advice to consult your GP.

seacliff Tue 18-Aug-20 18:39:55

Sorry but when I saw your heading, it reminded me of fireworks night when I was a child. My Dad and his equally mad brother (meant to be the sensible adults) let off some bangers in our back passage. I still remember the row, smoke and giggles.

As you were.

Juliet27 Tue 18-Aug-20 18:49:12

Fybogel is worth a try.

craftyone Tue 18-Aug-20 18:51:52

senna daily is making your gut lazy and stopping the peristaltic process. As others have said, drink plenty of water. Eat and enjoy a couple of large dates every day, too much bran is bad, it irritates the bowel. Wholefoods and veg are good. If there is a constipation problem then use glycerin suppositories to help to ease on the toilet. Seeds no, they will just pass straight through and irritate. The aim is to fill the bowel so that there is the urge, to have the stool moist so it slides out, not to have to push too hard and certainly no pain on its way out

chocolatepudding Tue 18-Aug-20 18:53:05

I drink a glass of apple juice with my evening meal which helps.

Charleygirl5 Tue 18-Aug-20 18:55:53

Fruit and vegetables work fine for me. You really should see your GP.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 18-Aug-20 19:02:26

I think a good mixed diet with the emphases on lots of veg. We eat at least 6-8 a day. Gradually wean yourself off the laxatives (your body is reliant on them at the moment so give yourself lots of time to do so) . We “go” at least twice a day.

Those folk on a traditional diet with the emphasis on grains veg and fruit with a bit of protein thrown in will go frequently with the food whizzing through their bodies, which prevents bowl cancer.

What a subject!!!

Whole grains if you can - I can’t - gluten intolerant - porridge and muesli is fine though.

You’ll be fine???

EllanVannin Tue 18-Aug-20 19:03:07

Stewed prunes---guaranteed.
Eat less for 24hrs.

Cabbie21 Tue 18-Aug-20 19:25:04

It’s been the other way for me today. I blame the potato salad and prawn cocktail I had with my salad for lunch. So much mayo seems to act as a laxative for me.

Toadinthehole Tue 18-Aug-20 19:31:31

A well balanced diet, exercise, good rest.....and don’t worry!?

Framilode Tue 18-Aug-20 19:47:10

Activia yoghourt has changed my life for the better. No more constipation problems.

Herbie9 Tue 18-Aug-20 20:06:16

I've been prescribed Fybogel Ispaghla Husk taken every morning It's a good natural fibre drink and can be taken twice a day. Orange flavour is available. It gently relieves constipation and maintains regularity. Recommended.

crazyH Tue 18-Aug-20 20:08:35

Curry !!!!