Gransnet forums

Health

Blood Pressure

(43 Posts)
PinkCakes Sun 23-Aug-20 13:40:06

I went for a routine health check at the doctor's a couple of months ago, and my BP was high (169/90). I was told to monitor it myself at home for a week, and take the readings in. It averaged out at 146/78, which the GP said was high. She asked me if I'd like to start on medication. I said no, thanks grin.

Do any of you have high BP but not take tablets?

My neighbour (67, slim, very active) is on 2 types of BP pills but hers is still 178/102!

BlueSky Tue 25-Aug-20 20:46:54

You should mention it to the doctor that you would like a 24hr monitor if they don't suggest it. It was the only way to find out whether my BP was constantly high or just going up and down. In fact the average was a much more acceptable level.

Puzzled Mon 31-Aug-20 15:14:46

After a 24 hour monitor, was prescribed tablets (Becaus of ONE spike overnight)
First lot caused swollen legs "Don't take anymore of them.
I 'll give some others" They were even worse with more side effects.
The third lot caused pins and needles, so bad that the pain woke me. And am a DEEP sleeper.
Stopped taking the tablets and it has taken over a year for the pins and needles to subside, finally.
Doc did not being told that the cure caused problems, for a condition that did not. (Waking BP is about 150/80)
Am unaware of any problems, at 82 can still walk 4 miles almost non stop in less than 90 mins, so cannot be that decrepit.
Being over 70, GPs get a bonus for having us on the books, and more for treating us, so they have an incentive to medicate.
Have not been reminded of the lack of prescriptions for almost two years, so why should I worry?
I know, risk of heart attack / stroke.
GM died of a stroke at 82, M at 92, so the genes are on my side.

Juliet27 Mon 31-Aug-20 15:25:28

It wasn't comfortable but it did show my blood pressure was only high when OH was being difficult ?
Same here Illte

Ellianne my BP is as erratic as yours.

I took tablets for a while but my ankles swelled and legs ached and my BP seems to be ok without them now but I have less stress generally.

PinkCakes Mon 31-Aug-20 18:31:51

I've had a 24-hour monitor before. The readings averaged out at 142/82, so the doctor said it was nothing to be concerned about

infoman Wed 02-Sep-20 08:12:04

I had to monitor my blood pressure for a approx one month twice a day
It was high one day, okay another day,or in other words allover the place.
My thoughts are the GP then gives you some thing to reduce the BP.
I feel if your BP is high all the time,make sure you visit your GP.

travelsafar Wed 02-Sep-20 08:35:12

I check mine at the start of each month and have it checked at the surgery every 6months. They work out the average with my records and so far all has been good. Did mine this morning and it was 126/59. Last night it was 131/61. I have been told to do it this way one in the morning and one in the evening. Last time it was checked at the surgery it was 130/75 and i was told that is ok. I do worry about BP as all my siblings have high BP and on meds. My youngest brother died 2018 with a massive stroke even though on medication for BP. It is a scarey thing.

jm0059 Thu 03-Sep-20 19:49:03

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Tea3 Thu 03-Sep-20 21:01:32

My blood pressure was on the high side until I started taking 20ml of olive oil a day after watching one of Dr Michael Mosley's programmes. No specific mention was made of olive oil helping high bp but it was proved to improve overall health (forget the details as it was few years ago) but I've had no problem with my blood pressure since.

Delila Thu 03-Sep-20 21:08:59

Research has shown that beetroot juice lowers blood pressure.

growstuff Thu 03-Sep-20 21:12:11

If you have high blood pressure, make sure you get your kidney function checked, as high BP can lead to serious kidney damage as well as strokes and heart attacks.

BlueSky Fri 04-Sep-20 11:34:12

Have you been able to get your annual blood test because on regular medication? I tried yesterday but they said it hasn't restarted as yet.

TwiceAsNice Fri 04-Sep-20 23:11:55

I had mine taken during a check up at the surgery this morning . 3 readings between 146 and 158 , 90 something lower figure. Nurse wasn’t that happy but it always goes up at the surgery. Any readings I take at home are much lower and. 24 hour test last year showed normal to low. I will not take blood pressure tablets less it becomes much higher . I would ask for a 24 hour monitor if you step worried

Lovetopaint037 Sat 05-Sep-20 10:34:34

Do not ignore BP. Of course certain events raise BP and it will fluctuate. The nurse at the surgery used to say let’s try it again while you read that word. It was the longest place name in the UK ( Wales) and it always went down. However, maintaining an appropriate BP is necessary. The bottom figure is the heart at rest and so the one that rings alarm bells. Please go back and get reassessed. Pop the pills and don’t worry.

Puzzled Wed 09-Sep-20 10:29:02

Doc put me on a 24 monitor because mine, at the surgery, was high 160 systolic. A single night time spike of 184 resulted in tablets, despite my warning about side effects.
I gave up after three different tablets, each producing worse side effects than the previous. the first one caused my Doc to say "Don't take any more of them!"
the last straw was pain from pins and needles so bad that I woke, and am a very heavy sleeper.
It has taken nearly two years for the pins and needles to subside.
So I avoid medics like the plague, unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. Apart from invites for flu jab, (declined) have had, nor want, any contact with the surgery, since the last BP prescription.

Overfiftyfitness Thu 10-Sep-20 07:05:59

Search on You Tube, David Unwin 'Is salt getting the blame for what sugar did?' Dr. David Unwin explains how a low carbohydrate diet can not only help your metabolic health, but can reduce your blood pressure.

Esspee Thu 10-Sep-20 07:27:27

For those of you who are worried about your blood pressure there is a type of watch which constantly records readings BP and ECG and these can be viewed on your computer.
This would completely do away with white coat syndrome and allow you to present readings to your medical practitioner.
I am not interested but regularly receive e mails from the company.

Seizetheafternoon Thu 10-Sep-20 09:33:24

Before going on medication it would be give a clearer picture if you could have a 24 hr monitoring done.

Mine has been very high since my early 20s and I’ve taken 4 types of medication to try control it since then. If it’s advised you take something for it then I think it’s sensible as high BP really is a silent killer. Home monitors can be inaccurate so I would ask your GP if they could fit a 24 hour one or whether they can refer you to someone who could if they aren’t able to.