Gransnet forums

Health

Drug manufacture stopped

(10 Posts)
Jaxjacky Tue 25-Aug-20 07:08:05

Bit annoyed, Cimetidine, which I take daily, in fact the whole family of these H2 receptors is not available, they are for severe acid reflux. Found out when I went to pick up repeat prescription, GP’s advice ‘ Gaviscon, probable surgery’. I’d rather avoid surgery, so a bit despondent today. No one can tell me why or for how long, online says June 2021.:

Esspee Tue 25-Aug-20 07:23:01

The shortages are caused by some products being found to contain a carcinogen Jaxjacky. The manufacturer’s licences have been removed until the problem is corrected. This applies to the whole of Europe.
Perhaps you could try to outsource some from America or Australia if you are desperate.

Esspee Tue 25-Aug-20 07:27:43

Sorry just googled the subject. USA is also affected.
Why not research NICE guidelines on the subject as apparently there are clinical alternatives available.

Jaxjacky Tue 25-Aug-20 07:39:43

Esspee thanks for the information. The most common drug for AR is Omeprazole, or similar, unfortunately I’m one of the 1 in xxxx you read in the notes that has serious side effects. It drops my sodium to dangerous levels.

NfkDumpling Tue 25-Aug-20 07:42:06

Is Omprazole affected too?

BlueBelle Tue 25-Aug-20 07:48:11

There are alternatives talk to your pharmacist My daughter takes it and another one she can’t take but the pharmacist found an alternative

This is why I have so much distrust in pharmaceutical companies how many people have been taking it regularly now to find there’s a carcinogen in some of them it beggars belief

grandMattie Tue 25-Aug-20 07:54:27

NfkDumpling

Is Omprazole affected too?

No it isn’t. My GP found out that ranitidine was being stopped and stashed it for herself. She told me she was stuffed when she ran out... so cimetidine is being stopped too... bummer.

Esspee Tue 25-Aug-20 07:56:52

NfkDumpling
Omeprazole is one of the alternatives being offered so demand is much higher than supply. Some people have been stockpiling which, as we saw from this year’s toilet paper shortage, only exacerbates the situation.

BlueSky Tue 25-Aug-20 08:36:26

Hope Omeprazole won't be affected, not for myself, but for my DH, who would be in big trouble without it.

Jaxjacky Tue 25-Aug-20 08:36:40

BlueBelle I’d be interested in the alternative if you could find out please, thanks.
grandMattie yes, i was taken off Ranitadine beginning of this year.