Gransnet forums

Health

Teabags

(41 Posts)
varian Tue 25-Aug-20 14:08:05

The hidden microplastics in our cups of tea, with each teabag containing billions of microparticles

inews.co.uk/news/environment/war-on-plastic-feature-hidden-microplastics-tea-anita-rani-609888

Apart from being wasteful and a threat to the environment teabags can be a threat to health. Why not make a pot of tea with loose tea leaves? No-one needs teabags.

Illte Tue 25-Aug-20 14:19:52

You're right. Loose leaf in my next home delivery!

annodomini Tue 25-Aug-20 14:45:39

I use loose leaf tea (Ceylon) at breakfast and Red Bush most other times. The RB loose leaves are very tiny and quite messy if any escape the spoon. DS has twice given me tins of tea bags at Christmas though now he uses nothing but loose leaf himself! They sit at the back of my worktop looking ornamental but rarely used.

Furret Tue 25-Aug-20 15:41:43

This is why I buy teabags guaranteed free from plastic.

PamelaJ1 Tue 25-Aug-20 15:42:46

Me too Furret. Fully compostable.

Furret Tue 25-Aug-20 15:42:54

the ethical consumer should anyone be interested.

Furret Tue 25-Aug-20 15:43:20

PamelaJ 👍🏽

toscalily Tue 25-Aug-20 16:27:43

I'll take my chances with the teabags as I absolutely hate getting the tea leaf residue with my last drop of tea.

Liz46 Tue 25-Aug-20 16:31:15

We went to visit a tea plantation in Sri Lanka. They told us that the quality tea is sold loose leaf and the ‘dust’ goes into tea bags.

MaizieD Tue 25-Aug-20 16:33:18

toscalily

I'll take my chances with the teabags as I absolutely hate getting the tea leaf residue with my last drop of tea.

When I was a lass we used a tea strainer and left the last few drops in the teacup for fortune telling by the tea leaves..

pollyperkins Tue 25-Aug-20 16:36:51

As a matter of interest, which tea bags are plastic free?I was unaware of this.

toscalily Tue 25-Aug-20 16:41:31

I do occasionally use loose leaf and own two tea strainers but OH is the same and can't abide the bitty bit at the bottom even if I could predict the future with it.

varian Tue 25-Aug-20 16:43:51

What is the point of teabags?

Making a pot of tea is quicker, more convenient, less wasteful, less expensive, the tea is tastier and you get more tea for your leaves.

varian Tue 25-Aug-20 16:44:58

- and its such a nuisance having to cut them open to get the tea leaves out!

janeainsworth Tue 25-Aug-20 16:50:26

I usually make tea with leaves, but MrA will only make it with bags. We have Ringtons and the bags completely disappear after a few weeks in the compost heap.

However a few months ago I acquired a taste for lemon and ginger tea and bought some tea pigs brand. It wasn’t long before the little bags started being excreted at the bottom of my compost bins shock

I do think this sort of research should be put into context.
So we ingest x micro-particles of plastic with every cup of tea made with a bag.

How many do we ingest when we eat a piece of cheese, or cake, or ham that’s been wrapped in plastic or clingfilm? Or milk that comes in plastic bottles? I think that’s possibly more worrying.

25Avalon Tue 25-Aug-20 16:58:44

This is true even of organic tea bags - not so organic as you might think.
I forgot to order tea bags so had to use a 2 year old pack of loose leaf tea. Certainly more economical and once you get used to quantities is good. I do have a special infuser insert tucked in the back of the cupboard so I don’t need a tea strainer.

Jane10 Tue 25-Aug-20 17:11:41

My Grandad managed a tea garden in Assam. He was extremely scathing about tea bags! Just 'dust'.
He used to mix his own blend of loose leaf tea when he retired.

varian Tue 25-Aug-20 17:55:01

Your Grandad was an "expert" Jane10

Now I know that these days we are supposed to denigrate experts but I think that your grandad knew what he was talking about.

BlueSky Tue 25-Aug-20 19:09:26

varian

What is the point of teabags?

Making a pot of tea is quicker, more convenient, less wasteful, less expensive, the tea is tastier and you get more tea for your leaves.

Agree Varian!

Oopsadaisy4 Tue 25-Aug-20 20:27:40

PG tips are plastic free according to the Ethical Shopper.

Phew!

kittylester Tue 25-Aug-20 21:02:02

We have bags but only for emergencies! We use loose leaf all the time and never get any residue because we use a strainer.

Furret Tue 25-Aug-20 21:09:20

25Avalon

This is true even of organic tea bags - not so organic as you might think.
I forgot to order tea bags so had to use a 2 year old pack of loose leaf tea. Certainly more economical and once you get used to quantities is good. I do have a special infuser insert tucked in the back of the cupboard so I don’t need a tea strainer.

If by ‘this’ you mean micro plastics then that is inaccurate.

plastic free tea bags someone asked which. Here’s a list.

grannylyn65 Tue 25-Aug-20 21:16:09

😳

25Avalon Tue 25-Aug-20 21:47:25

Furret you are right. Thanks for that. My info was out of date.

Furret Wed 26-Aug-20 09:05:14

👍🏽