Gransnet forums

Health

Swollen ankle - blocked lymphatic system?

(7 Posts)
EllanVannin Fri 04-Sep-20 22:56:26

Some blood-pressure medication can cause swelling of the feet/ankles but it's usual to also take diuretics in combination with BP medication.

Moll22 Fri 04-Sep-20 21:04:31

Thank you SewnSew, I haven’t tried raising my legs that high- I’ll give it a try. I’d heard about drainage massage and will look into it too. Many thanks

SewnSew Sun 30-Aug-20 22:05:54

Hello Moll22 - I have this problem and have to wear compression stockings every day. But I also have regular weekly drainage massage by a masseuse trained in this sort of work and it helps enormously. One thing you can do is lie on your back with your feet as high as possible up the wall for 10 minutes twice a day. It does help.

Moll22 Thu 27-Aug-20 13:31:54

Thanks B9 - think I will - it’s only one ankle that’s affected Harris27 so possibly not water retention - have to try and get it looked at. thanks both, much appreciated !

Harris27 Wed 26-Aug-20 20:46:48

Im 60 and my ankles swell even on short journeys especially when flying. It usually takes a few days to go down and always swells when it’s hot. I think it’s just water retention I’ do take a blood pressure tablet.

B9exchange Wed 26-Aug-20 20:43:51

I should tell your GP that you feel 'some point' has now arrived, and you would like a referral please? You can wear an elasticated stocking to keep the swelling down, but you need to know what is causing it and if there is any treatment.

Moll22 Wed 26-Aug-20 20:36:24

Has anyone else had this problem? I’ve been suffering from a swollen ankle/foot for a few years now (am 55) it’s mostly a problem in the summer months and when I’ve been on a plane. I did break my ankle years a few ago and I’ve read it may be that I could have damaged a vein? I have asked my GP who says this could be investigated at some point- any advice in the meantime would be appreciated. Thanks