Gransnet forums

Health

Thyroid biopsy

(8 Posts)
crazyH Wed 02-Sep-20 00:18:36

I know this sounds awful...can't remember what exactly it was .....my daughter had a biopsy on her neck (almost sure it was thyroid) , and it caused her mouth to drop, but within a couple of months it returned to normal. Hope that helps...

EllanVannin Tue 01-Sep-20 18:13:52

I've had a fine needle biopsy, in fact two at the same time. I was okay, no pains, no croaky voice. I refused a partial thyroidectomy which was a few years ago now. I've never had surgery in my life and I would certainly have been wary about this one. Nothing showed on the biopsy or the nasal tube down the throat with a camera on the end.
One surgeon said----if it ain't broke etc.

Farmor15 Tue 01-Sep-20 15:33:50

I had thyroid biopsy some years ago - left bruise for a few days, but don't remember croaky voice. However, I had a multinodular goitre, and every now and then I would wake with a sharp pain in throat which would last for a few days. I used to read a lot about thyroid issues and in one of them it mentioned nodules flaring up and causing this kind of pain. It's possible that biopsy needle caused some kind of inflammation and swelling of a nodule.

My biopsy result was "inconclusive" which is very common. However, after a lot of other tests overactive thyroid and a gradually enlarging goitre, I had a total thyroidectomy and have had no problems since.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 01-Sep-20 14:47:43

Ten working days for results bluesky, actually bit less now, approx 8 days now

TrendyNannie6 Tue 01-Sep-20 14:45:40

Yes got goitre that’s still growing, this is my third thyroid biopsy in 11 months I rang the hospital this morning to speak to someone, spoke to receptionist who said no one was working today in that dept so couldn’t help, but to contact my dr which I tried to receptionist said no vid calls today, there was no one I could speak to available, I’ve got to phone back tomorrow, I have a rasping voice, since I’d had two other biopsies before this and never had it happen before, I needed to be checked, but got to wait

Missfoodlove Tue 01-Sep-20 07:37:21

I had a fine needle biopsy but no side effects.
Have you a goitre?
If so that can explain the croaky voice.

BlueSky Tue 01-Sep-20 00:15:22

Trendy looks as nobody on here has had this biopsy done, so no personal experience but I guess it would be something to expect. Can you check with anybody at the hospital? Hope you won't have to wait long for the results.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 31-Aug-20 11:25:00

I had a thyroid biopsy last Thursday, results arriving in 10 days Time, the following day I had referred pain in neck and right shoulder, which has actually settled down, but today have woken up with a very croaky voice, and sore throat, anyone else had this happen to them afterwards,