Gransnet forums

Health

Piece of plastic in my leg

(59 Posts)
farview Wed 02-Sep-20 19:10:17

I posted under the heading coamoxiclav a few weeks ago...I was given it after an accident whilst using a strimmer in the garden...the strummer was chucking out pieces of blade...one piece about 1" long hit my leg like a missile..ended embedded in my leg 1cm away from the entry wound...so...took the antibiotics, have had repeated dressings done with a transparent 'drawing ' patch...district nurse has now discharged me as the entry wound has now healed up...but the plastic is still in my leg! She had no further advice..didn't seem bothered...its only sore if I actually press on it..SO question is...does it matter? Is it ok to just forget about it?

grandMattie Thu 03-Sep-20 10:07:34

A poultice of fresh ginger (sliced or mashed) is fantastic for drawing out rose thorns, etc. Perhaps you could try that?

Musicgirl Thu 03-Sep-20 10:24:08

I am sorry to hear about your accident and hope you feel better soon. When l saw the title of the post l thought it was about different parts of the body that have been replaced. I will still mention my slightly unusual plastic replacement. As a child l suffered from continual ear infections and when l was ten l had mastoid surgery (this is major surgery that even then was unusual due to antibiotics). This involved all the infected bones of the middle ear being removed and left me with no ear drum and no middle ear. Over the years, though, l still had infections until in 2010 l had the operation in reverse. My incredibly clever surgeon, one of only a few in the country to perform such surgery, made a new eardrum from a skin graft and replaced all the tiny middle ear bones with plastic ones. Best of all it has given me quite a lot of my hearing back.

GrammarGrandma Thu 03-Sep-20 10:27:20

When I had my hysterectomy in 1990, the incision was sewn up with one long blue plastic "stitch." When it came time to take it out the (student) nurse made the mistake of snipping the knots at both ends. Of course it immediately pinged to a shorter length than the wound. It's still there and I've barely thought of it over the last thirty years!

ExaltedWombat Thu 03-Sep-20 10:31:45

"eventually it was Acupuncture which took away the pain permanently."

No it wasn't. It just 'got better'. Mostly, things do. And yes, if you stick a pin in the right place it can make a muscle jump.

But the main point is that you feel better. Good.

Farawaynanny Thu 03-Sep-20 10:32:12

Aepgirl. As an ex district nurse I can assure you that district nurses have a far more up to date knowledge and understanding of wound care than any GP I’ve ever worked with. In fact it’s common practice for DN’s to teach wound care to practice nurses and GPS. Why? Because they keep up to date with research!!!

trustgone4sure Thu 03-Sep-20 10:34:57

I agree with Welshwife.

JenniferEccles Thu 03-Sep-20 10:54:34

What an amazing story Musicgirl

The fact that the last operation was successful in restoring some hearing is astonishing, given the complexity of the surgery.

icanhandthemback Thu 03-Sep-20 12:04:23

My ex-husband threw an ashtray at me once and as it shattered, a piece of glass embedded deeply into my foot. The medical profession left it where it was. About 15 years later, it started to come nearer to the surface and become painful to walk on so I used a bread poultice for a couple of days. Somewhat to my surprise, a small piece of glass came out even though there was no visible exit hole. It didn't hurt at all and I could walk perfectly normally again.

Dorothy53 Thu 03-Sep-20 12:40:30

Recently had a piece of bracken which speared my leg and was deeply embedded , went to A&E and had to have it cut out as the consultant could not pull it out as it had a hook on it. Had a tetanus booster and antibiotics, was told that it had to come from there as it would cause an infection. I would have it removed, as mentioned previously probably dirty. Learnt not to go walking the coast path in a skirt!

Callistemon Thu 03-Sep-20 12:48:10

GrammarGrandma

When I had my hysterectomy in 1990, the incision was sewn up with one long blue plastic "stitch." When it came time to take it out the (student) nurse made the mistake of snipping the knots at both ends. Of course it immediately pinged to a shorter length than the wound. It's still there and I've barely thought of it over the last thirty years!

I have a piece of plastic in me from where I had surgery and can sometimes feel it irritating me. When I mentioned it at a hospital checkup, the registrar poo pooed the idea that there would be a piece of plastic sealing off a blood vessel but the sister in the room nodded and said yes, there was.

The difference is that I presume my piece of plastic is clean and sterile and hadn't been using for strimming first.

At least you needed to have an anti-tetanus vaccination, farview.

fluttERBY123 Thu 03-Sep-20 13:10:46

I sometimes show grandchildren a splinter that still shows in my left little finger that has been there for 70 years. I can remember giving up trying to get it out.

Juicylucy Thu 03-Sep-20 13:23:29

Google foreign body inside soft tissue. It’s says it’s sometimes left inside and will work it’s way out but may take weeks or months but may not come out at all.
Then it read they may not take it out as it maybe to near to nerves and muscle and create more of a problem by extracting it. However it did say you should 100% have a tetanus injection.

Saggi Thu 03-Sep-20 13:40:44

Are people still getting doctors appointments !!? Well done the area you’re living in. Just went through 64 questions ...online...to be told by email to go to my surgery and shout my requirements out loud through an intercom system with other people behind me in queue!!! As it’s a routine app. ( 6 monthly) of a personal nature....would you!!?

trustgone4sure Thu 03-Sep-20 13:59:59

I can see why he`s your X icanhandthemback.
Pleased it came out though.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 03-Sep-20 14:00:26

Probably, it will be all right, as medical professionals are happy to leave it alone.

Most people in our age group were innoculated against tetanus as babies, and you have been given antibiotics.

A lot of spinters and other foreign bodies work their way out in the course of time, but do ask your doctor for more details, as there is no point either in worrying if there is no need, or just accepting that no more needs to be done, if you feel something should be done.

4allweknow Thu 03-Sep-20 14:00:32

Surely you had a xray to confirm position. Must be no danger in that respect to tissues etc. Antibiotics should have cleared any infection from dirt. Only concern I would have is that sometimes 'foreign bodies' can float to the surface making the area on the surface kind of delicate. Would check with GP exactly what hospital recorded regarding the wound and treatment.

Grandmafrench Thu 03-Sep-20 14:05:03

ExaltedWombat

"eventually it was Acupuncture which took away the pain permanently."

No it wasn't. It just 'got better'. Mostly, things do. And yes, if you stick a pin in the right place it can make a muscle jump.

But the main point is that you feel better. Good.

What a very silly and trite comment. What are you actually trying to say? My debilitating foot pain resolved all on its own during a session of treatment for it? Well, you weren't there, I was recounting my own experience and not yours - and since I am not 10 years old, your patronising tone adds nothing helpful to this thread.

farview Thu 03-Sep-20 14:45:26

No x-ray because was told that plastic doesn't show up..
Am covered re tetanus..
Going to speak to GP tomorrow on the phone.. cant actually go to see him..
At A&E...I asked if they could give me a local anaesthetic and cut it out...she said it was difficult because it's in my shin and not much flesh there!

blondenana Thu 03-Sep-20 14:55:59

Acupuncture can definitely take away pain,
I had very bad painful sciatica,a few years ago to the point i was in tears,
I had Acupuncture and had no pain after that

jerseygirl Thu 03-Sep-20 17:25:16

Surely you need to get this piece of plastic out otherwise it will continue to be infected. I would go to A&E. I'm sure they will get it out for you. Good luck

Callistemon Thu 03-Sep-20 17:27:12

because it's in my shin and not much flesh there!
It can't be that deep then. A scan would show where it is.

I hope you don't get fobbed off this time.

Phoebes Thu 03-Sep-20 18:01:57

I had carpal tunnel syndrome in my wrist and the GP said it wouldn’t go away unless it was operated on. I tried acupuncture and it went away almost immediately and I haven’t had any problems since. I still go for acupuncture every 6 weeks to keep my irregular heartbeat under control. All those
Chinese can’t be wrong!

farview Thu 03-Sep-20 19:17:18

jerseygirl I have been to A&E...
Callistemon...I can feel it when I run my fingers over my shin..

annsixty Thu 03-Sep-20 20:45:56

Last Thursday my friend‘S 88 year old H decided his metal watch strap was very loose as he has lost weight.
She offered to take it to the jewellers but as a stubborn old coot, no he could do it himself.
As he took the pin out he pressed it between his thumb and forefinger and it just disappeared into the flesh, no sign of it.
She took him to A&E and it showed up on X-ray.
They had him back on Friday and took it out under a local anaesthetic, unfortunately his BP dropped alarmingly and they kept him for several hours.
He is fine now, all strapped up but no pin in his finger.

CanadianGran Thu 03-Sep-20 22:19:12

When i was in school and doing archery, one of the plastic feathers from the arrow skimmed my finger. Although I could see nothing but a small cut, I felt there was something there. It did heal over, but was a small lump.

Months later, while absently scratching my itchy finger, the plastic feather came out. Like others have said, it will most likely work its way out in time.