Gransnet forums

Health

Piece of plastic in my leg

(59 Posts)
farview Wed 02-Sep-20 19:10:17

I posted under the heading coamoxiclav a few weeks ago...I was given it after an accident whilst using a strimmer in the garden...the strummer was chucking out pieces of blade...one piece about 1" long hit my leg like a missile..ended embedded in my leg 1cm away from the entry wound...so...took the antibiotics, have had repeated dressings done with a transparent 'drawing ' patch...district nurse has now discharged me as the entry wound has now healed up...but the plastic is still in my leg! She had no further advice..didn't seem bothered...its only sore if I actually press on it..SO question is...does it matter? Is it ok to just forget about it?

Nannytopsy Thu 03-Sep-20 23:11:38

My dad had a couple of bits of shrapnel in his shin from a wartime grenade. They worked their way to the surface in the eighties and were removed then!

TwinLolly Fri 04-Sep-20 07:42:18

I've still got tiny bits of gravel embedded in the soft part of my knee, the soft part below the kneecap, after falling from my moped. This happened over 15 years ago. I had stitches for a deep cut there, was cleaned and patched up but was told the gravel was embedded. The bits would stay or work themselves out over time. They have stayed, to no ill effect and no problems.

glammagran Fri 04-Sep-20 08:52:19

I have the tip of a lead pencil in the palm of my right hand where I was stabbed aged 5 by another child in my class (thanks, Sharon Moss). It was visible for decades but I can only very faintly see it now. I didn’t mention to my parents.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 04-Sep-20 09:47:00

My diabetic daughter has used insulin since a very age and has broken two needles while doing her injection. So she has two bits of a needle embedded in her arm, they have been there for over 40 years. Always been told that they will work themselves out but they never have.

blondenana Fri 04-Sep-20 11:20:56

The best thing i have found for drawing anything is Magnesium sulphate only about £1 a small jar

Callistemon Fri 04-Sep-20 15:24:08

Yes, it is excellent.

glammagran I wonder if I have a pen nib stuck in my rear end from umpteen years ago, that could explain my sciatica flare ups.
Thank you Susan G.

MamaB247 Sat 05-Sep-20 05:15:31

I stood on a broken glass bottle when I was youngerm ended up with a bottle rim shaped scar. I was told repeatedly they couldn't see anything lef tin. No x-ray etc. Felt sore for years. Always had a half moon shaped ridge on my foot. Last year 20 years after the original incident I began to use foot peels. After the first one I felt something hard and assumed it was a calus. It seemed the same shape as the sacr. So I used another foot peel the following month only to begin peeling the skin as it began to work and a huge pice of glass fell out of my foot. Along with a lot of puss and a bit of blood. I mean this peice although thin was effectively the rim of the broken bottle. Can't believe they missed it but it was so satisfying when it did come out. Now I was comfortabley and the wrongfully diagnosed plantarfacilitis seems to be cured. Don't suppose you can do that with your leg.

farview Sat 05-Sep-20 09:26:46

MamaB247...what is a foot peel?
I had special 'drawing ' dressings on three times but they didnt 'draw it out....
Didnt get to speak to GP yesterday after spending an hour trying to get through on the phone!
It's not looking angry/inflamed so not unduly worried now...especially with all the posts re others having various foreign bodies under their skin for long periods of time...