Gransnet forums

Health

Turmeric

(13 Posts)
MayBee70 Sun 06-Sep-20 18:40:31

You’ve reminded me to start taking it again as I’m very creaky at the moment. I take it in the form of golden paste as it needs heat, black pepper and oil to work. I’ll make some tonight and start taking it again tomorrow. I make it into a milky drink but do add honey which you’re not supposed to do.

Iam64 Sun 06-Sep-20 18:37:25

Some people swear by turmeric. I cook with it but can't take the supplements because I'm on blood thinners. Knees are often helped by ice and keeping moving. Resting knees seems to be like resting backs, a thoroughly bad idea.

grannyrebel7 Sun 06-Sep-20 18:35:12

Thanks for the advice everyone. Think I will try the turmeric, black pepper and ginger one if there's no improvement within the next few weeks.

Lizbethann55 Sun 06-Sep-20 17:01:58

My DH swears by green lipped mussels tablets for his knee.

BBbevan Sun 06-Sep-20 09:19:35

My DH takes Rosehip for his knees. He tried turmeric but saw no improvement. He swears by rosehip.

LullyDully Sun 06-Sep-20 09:02:24

I use Curcumin which comes from turmeric. I buy it when H and B have the penny sale, two for the price of one. My very sore , swollen knee and dodgy hip are so much better. I have been taking it for a few months. One capsule a day. Such a difference in pain.

Speaking as one who suffered very badly with my first arthritic hip and had a replacement.

Luckyoldbeethoven Sat 05-Sep-20 21:31:58

My experience is the same as bluebird above. I tend to get forgetful about taking it, my joint problems reappear so I go back to taking it and then I realise it does work.
I think though that it may be one of those things that works for some but not others, like glucosamine.
Also you must buy a good quality supplement which includes black pepper and has a high enough content of curcumin. You'll have to Google the latter to see what I mean.

Nonogran Sat 05-Sep-20 19:19:46

Hello Grannyrebel,
I take Turmeric with black pepper capsules twice a day. The black pepper is very important apparently so if you buy, make sure it's present in the mix. I get mine from a well known chain of health food shops.
I think you're probably starting an arthritic condition because what you describe, mirrors how mine started. I ended up with a total knee replacement but have staved off having the other knee replaced by not overdoing the walking and more recently, taking Turmeric with Black Pepper supplement. It hasn't cured my discomfort but it's taken the edge off the knee pain and the arthritis in one of my hands has definitely benefitted; the swelling is very much reduced.
No harm in trying but I recommend taking it regularly ever day without fail. If I run out of supplies my joints soon tell me! It's not a miracle cure but I hope you'll find it helpful. You've got nothing to lose!

Missfoodlove Sat 05-Sep-20 19:14:37

My son a rugby player swears by it.
It needs to be a quality product.

MaizieD Sat 05-Sep-20 19:11:50

A friend of mine recommended turmeric a few weeks ago so I thought I'd give it a go. I can't say it's made any noticeable difference...

Sorry...

bluebirdwsm Sat 05-Sep-20 19:09:57

I take organic turmeric with organic black pepper and organic ginger...much more effective than turmeric on it's own. I believe these 2 additional elements are pretty important in how the body processes the turmeric. [Maybe google it].

I have arthritis in my hands/wrist/thumbs and I noticed a difference [within about a week] when I started taking this about 2 years ago now. I do take cod liver oil capsules as well.

When I ran out I was without the turmeric for a couple of weeks and my hands were worse. The delivery of tablets came and my hands felt better within 2-3 days.

But that's just me. It's kept the pain at bay, and I haven't had to bother the GP for any sort of painkillers etc so far. I don't know if they will help in your situation but surely worth a try?

Illte Sat 05-Sep-20 19:05:59

My doctor, who comes from India, is very scathing about claims that turmeric is good for joints.

He says he has it just about every meal and his legs still hurt?

grannyrebel7 Sat 05-Sep-20 19:00:58

I've got a dodgy knee. It started after doing a lot of coastal walking on holiday and then walking up the Skirrid mountain with the family. That was about 5 weeks ago and it's been hurting on and off ever since. Don't know if it's arthritis or just an injury. Virtually impossible to get a doctor's appointment at my surgery so not bothering atm. I've read that turmeric is good for the joints and read an article about tablets called Turmeric+. There's an offer on atm and lots of people were extolling it's virtues in the Daily Mail a few days ago. Just wondering if anyone has tried these tablets or just taken turmeric for joint pain and did it work?