Gransnet forums

Health

Grandparents Vaccines: The New World We Live In

(38 Posts)
TaraLee Tue 08-Sep-20 21:03:56

I am expecting my first grandchild. smile. I am now learning that it is recommended that grandparents get vaccinated before being near the new bundle of joy.

Specifically:

Measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine. ...
Tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis (Tdap) vaccine. ...
Shingles vaccine
Flu

Seriously? I guess it’s true what they say, the older you get, the faster the world around you changes.

Toadinthehole Thu 10-Sep-20 16:36:26

Never heard of this...sorry?

GrandmaKT Wed 09-Sep-20 21:13:35

On a slight tangent, but also a startling reflection on American medicine, according to Bill Bryson (The Body):
"Almost three quarters of the forty million antibiotic prescriptions written each year in the United States are for conditions that cannot be cured with antibiotics....Even more appallingly, in the United States 80 percent of antibiotics are fed to farm animals, mostly to fatten them."

EllanVannin Wed 09-Sep-20 11:03:39

In the 40's most mothers encouraged play with those children who had mumps/measles/ chickenpox etc, but it became a step too far when I caught scarlet fever and was in an isolation hospital in 1945.
However, I never did catch chicken pox so remained a carrier and not long ago I had a shingles jab.

Started nursing and had a smallpox and BCG jab. Went abroad in the mid 70's and had a typhoid/yellow fever jab. Now, it's annual flu jabs.

TaraLee Wed 09-Sep-20 10:39:42

Here’s one from the CDC, the official Center for Disease Control in America:

www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pregnancy/family-caregivers.html

TaraLee Wed 09-Sep-20 10:36:14

LOL! America has gone bonkers this year, for sure.

Callistemon Wed 09-Sep-20 10:29:04

TaraLee

Callistemom,

Here is one of “they”

www.healthgrades.com/right-care/aging-well/vaccines-all-new-grandparents-need

This page is not available in your area.
Our servers have detected that you are accessing this site from a country that is a member of the European Union. This content is not available in your region.

Obviously the EU has enough sense to ban this !

Callistemon Wed 09-Sep-20 10:25:54

Furret

I had the actual illnesses of measles, mumps, chicken pox and rubella as a child.
Whooping cough during my ‘O’ levels.
Diphtheria, smallpox and polio vaccines as child or young adult.
You can’t pass on tetanus.

Imagine most of us are the same.

I think it's sensible to either get a tetanus booster every ten years or, if you do have an accident which causes dirty open wounds, to ask for one then.

Callistemon Wed 09-Sep-20 10:21:00

maddyone

I had the MMR vaccine two years ago, and so did my husband. We were travelling to Japan and joining a cruise which called for two days at Taiwan. Apparently there was a measles outbreak there, and our Practice Nurse recommended that we had the vaccinations. We both did.

NHS advice is that, if you had the measles or mumps as a child, you are highly unlikely to catch it again.

I had not had rubella, as I found out when I had my last child, so they gave me the vaccination a couple of days after she was born. The nurse and I both agreed that it was 'shutting the stable door after the horse had bolted'.
I remember that I developed a thumping headache afterwards.

Franbern Wed 09-Sep-20 09:34:12

Agree with so much on this thread, but then, in UK, where we do not pay for necessary vaccinations, there is no need for Doctors and drug companies to try to push us into extra ones.
However, the original OP did mention smoking, and that has not been followed up.
I would certainly sympathise with any parent of a young baby or child who did not want g.parents (or anyone else) who smoked getting too close to that child,
Surely, if g.parents are still using this horrible drug, this is an idea time for them to kick the habit - better to spend some money on help for that than extra vaccinations they and the child do not need for them to have.
Yes, and full breast feeding for at least the first 3- 6 months will give the baby so much immunity.
My third born was premature and due to circumstances I had to discharge us both from the hospital and come home to my husband and two small toddlers. Unfortunately, I then went down with a very nasty case of D&V. My two young children were not allowed anywhere near me, but (with doctors advice - and lots of hand washing) I continued to look after the prem baby as she was being totally breast fed and thereby getting immunity from me.
That was close on fifty years ago now and she is a strong healthy adult with four of her own children.

Grandmabatty Wed 09-Sep-20 08:51:25

I would like to see unbiased research data on the number of cases where children have caught these childhood diseases from grandparents. When my children got chicken pox, they picked up up from their friends, not family. I would have thought it more likely that grandparents would pick up diseases from the children. Most childhood diseases you can be inoculated against (for free) in UK. The only thing that my dd was careful about was kissing my dgs because of the proven risks to newborns of the herpes virus.

Furret Wed 09-Sep-20 08:42:59

I had the actual illnesses of measles, mumps, chicken pox and rubella as a child.
Whooping cough during my ‘O’ levels.
Diphtheria, smallpox and polio vaccines as child or young adult.
You can’t pass on tetanus.

Imagine most of us are the same.

M0nica Wed 09-Sep-20 08:11:33

I think this is thread should be seen as a warning against privatised medical systems and where pharmaceutical companies can advertise directly to consumers to sell their products as if they were sweeties.

Medicise everything, encourage people to think every tiny ill can be dealt with by popping a pill and emotionally blackmail parents so they think a baby can be killed by a kiss. May be one in several million in exceptional circumstances. It is probably more likely that the parent will be killed in a car crash, so are all parents to be banned from any travel because one in a million will be killed? And what about all the anti-bacterial resistence that is developing.

Txquiltz Wed 09-Sep-20 03:54:37

America has created a major drug problem:
* a medication is indicated for a runny nose, slight cough, low grade fever, a rash.........
* Mini clinics are in every neiborhood to decrease ED visits, provide doctors when the family doctor goes home for the evening. I know of nobody visiting one without getting prescriptions for medicines
*. In the meantime our medications cost a king's ransom.....must mean it is a reeeeeally good drug.
*......television advertises drugs that are only available on prescription.......too often the drug gets ordered per patient request when it would never have even been considered. (per 3 personal friends that are physicians).
I am not anti-drug, but I do believe in their judicious use.

TaraLee Wed 09-Sep-20 02:57:16

Callistemom,

Here is one of “they”

www.healthgrades.com/right-care/aging-well/vaccines-all-new-grandparents-need

BlueBelle Wed 09-Sep-20 02:51:38

Surely got to be America so blooming ridiculous the babies will have no immunity whatsoever you may as well put them in a bubble and no one touch them till they go to school pump them full of chemicals never kiss or hug them ....

..... but feed the pharmaceuticals

maddyone Tue 08-Sep-20 23:35:15

We didn’t have any vaccinations before our beautiful grandchildren were going to be born, nor when our little cutie grandson was adopted. The parents of the twins and one other never made any such requests, and were eager for us to meet the newborns. Likewise when our two year old grandson arrived via adoption, no particular health checks or vaccinations were required for us as grandparents.

maddyone Tue 08-Sep-20 23:31:24

I had the MMR vaccine two years ago, and so did my husband. We were travelling to Japan and joining a cruise which called for two days at Taiwan. Apparently there was a measles outbreak there, and our Practice Nurse recommended that we had the vaccinations. We both did.

annodomini Tue 08-Sep-20 23:24:11

I had all the immunisations available in the 40s and 50s. I also had measles and whooping cough when I was 5 and Rubella when I was 25 (and not pregnant). I am glad to say that there was no such advice to grandparents when my GC were born and they have reached their teens in good health. My late sister was a highly respected GP and she certainly didn't have herself or her patients re-vaccinated when they became grandparents.

Callistemon Tue 08-Sep-20 22:50:22

In America.

Another question:
Are Americans over-medicated?
When there is financial gain involved that question needs to be asked.

MerylStreep Tue 08-Sep-20 22:44:38

Sound like something put out by drug companies ?

Callistemon Tue 08-Sep-20 22:40:08

NHS:
Once you have been infected by the mumps virus, you normally develop a life-long immunity to further infection.

Once you have had measles, your body builds up resistance (immunity) to the virus and it's highly unlikely you'll get it again.

Rubella is dangerous if a woman catches it whilst pregnant.

It could all be different in America where medical practitioners will charge for vaccinations.

Callistemon Tue 08-Sep-20 22:35:16

They are now saying

Who are they?

Starblaze Tue 08-Sep-20 22:34:01

I never understand people who think the immune system is a muscle that can be strengthened for anything by lots of exposure to dirt and germs

It doesn't work that way, the only way to strengthen your immune system at all is to eat well and exercise and not damage your body by smoking or drinking or taking substances that upset the balance.

Balance is individual too, some people are born with no functioning immune system or an immune system that attacks their own body...

The other thing is to make antibodies, you gain antibodies from your mum during pregnancy or breastfeeding or by getting sick/vaccinated from an illness.

Its not guaranteed to make antibodies, which is why anti vaxxers make vaxxers so cross. Vaxxers cannot know 100% that all the carefully given vaccines have had the correct immune response. That's why certain vaccines are repeated in the first years of a child's life, to increase the chance they make antibodies.

Flu vaccine only protects from the flu strains included in it, the most dangerous ones around at the urrent time, not all flu.

The best way to avoid being ill is and always will be good hygiene, taking precautions, being healthy and vaccines

TaraLee Tue 08-Sep-20 22:33:12

* Many grandparents here have had measles, rubella and mumps as children, before a vaccine for these diseases and won't need a booster.*

I had mumps as a child. They are now saying that immunity has worn off, and you should get a vaccine.

Curlywhirly Tue 08-Sep-20 22:29:06

I thought babies had certain antibodies from breast milk which protected them for a few weeks/months and then they get their first vaccinations at 8 weeks; then 12, 16 weeks and one year, so are relatively safe from dangerous infections?