Gransnet forums

Health

Pre Diabetic and Worried

(95 Posts)
Scentia Thu 10-Sep-20 12:01:27

I am not massively overweight, but I am overweight. I am a size 14 clothes. My Mum is Type 2 and I bought a monitor for her a while ago. She doesn't use it so I had it back to keep an eye on my bloods. I do a test once every three months and the last two times (last time being this morning) I have been a bit higher than usual. 5.6 and 5.4 I understand this is pre diabetic, so now I am thinking I am more overweight than I think I am and want to try and stop this getting any worse. Do any of my GN friends know if I follow a diabetic lifestyle it will be ok and if so what is one? I am Vegan so i don't have an issue with Cholesterol and fats but I do eat a lot of rubbish foods and I would like to know if there are any books I can get to help me to stop this in its tracks. There was a programme on TV a while back about an 800 calorie a day plan for a time to reverse the problem, but then what? it will be no good going back to eating crisps and biscuits every day. Would you contact your GP with this info I have or am I ok to try and sort it on my own, I don't want to bother them if its not necessary.
Just as a final note, I am not sure how I will cope without at least a bag of crisps every day (yes I know!!) can I have salted popcorn or is it the salt in the crisps that is the issue? I hope someone can help me with a bit of info.

Kate1949 Thu 10-Sep-20 12:14:23

I'm sorry you are struggling with this. I'm sure someone here will help you. The only thing I can say is that my son-in-law is prediabetic. My daughter has found a couple of cookbooks/lifestyle books for prediabetics. If you go onto Amazon and type in 'prediabetes' several books will come up. I'm not sure about vegan ones. Sorry not to be of more help. My DH has type 2 but us on medication. He has stopped eating cakes and sweets etc but still enjoys a bag of crisps every day.

silverlining48 Thu 10-Sep-20 12:27:47

I don’t understand the numbers scentia but you can be pre diabetic even if you aren’t overweight so maybe cut back on the crisps if you can ( I am a fan so feel your pain) and see if you can get your results down by diet, it does work, but if not then seek advice.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 10-Sep-20 12:34:06

DH was pre-diabetic for a time.

We cut out carbs, like rice, potato, bread etc. Also tropical fruit which is full of sugar.

It took only a couple if months to get it right down. Now we are back to eating normally but without, biscuits, cake, crisps etc and easy on the rest of carbs and sugary fruit.

Don’t worry about it, as it is so easily sorted if you are sensible.

growstuff Thu 10-Sep-20 12:34:52

A blood plasma test every three months can't tell you whether you're pre-diabetic.

If you're worried, have a proper blood test done.

If you're overweight, try to lose a bit of weight anyway. It will do you good, whether you're pre-diabetic or not. Pre-diabetes isn't a clinical condition anyway - it's more like a warning. Exercising a bit more and cutting out rubbish sugars like biscuits, cakes and pastry (pizzas, pies) would be a good start.

EllanVannin Thu 10-Sep-20 12:36:02

Sad to say, if your mum is Type 2 your chances of becoming Type 2 yourself is higher than the norm. My mum was and some years ago I had that horrible glucose tolerance test which showed borderline, but thankfully it appears to be okay up to now.
No specific dieting but I'm slimmer than my mum was so with me I put it down to luck. It's still not to say that as I get older still that it won't loom large, but I hope not.

mrswoo Thu 10-Sep-20 13:04:14

I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic this time last year. It was picked up by my GP at a routine medical. I was referred to a NHS-run course which comprised of attending once a week for a month and then monthly for a further 8 months. (I completed the course on Zoom.) It concentrated mainly on diet, lifestyle, exercise and it was good to share experiences with others.
At the same time, I joined Slimming World and have lost 2 stone (I have another 1/2 stone to lose to reach target weight) I've not been able to get a blood test done since covid but the last test I had at the start of the year saw an improvement. I doubt if I am now pre-diabetic.
Speak to your GP. See if you can be referred on to a course. There is lots of help and advice available. Good luck.

Scentia Thu 10-Sep-20 13:20:53

mrswoo
Thankyou, I will contact them and ask.

trustgone4sure Thu 10-Sep-20 13:21:21

Moderation in everthing Scentia.
And i don`t think being a size 14 is such a big deal tbh.
Especialy by todays standards.
A healthy diet and a bag of crisps a day won`t hurt.

Beechnut Thu 10-Sep-20 13:47:54

mrswoo was your course the one being run by ICS health and well being?

M0nica Thu 10-Sep-20 13:52:21

Scentia There are several charities out there to help people with pre-diabetes. Diabetes UK is one of them.They will have lots of inforation on what to eat and how to lose weight. So will the NHS site. Groups like Slimming World have helped a lot of people with your condition. They have a magazine 'Slimming World' that is available on all newstands, in supermarkets and newsagents and reading that may be helpful.

To find out how overweight you are calculate your BMI. just google 'BMI camculation' and the very simple formula will come up. I am generally not a supporter of BMI, like the A level results, it is based on an algorithm based on populations and shouldn't be applied to individuals, but it is useful as a general guide to whether you need to loose weight or not. Alternatively stand in front of a mirror in your bra and pants and look at yourself, visible rolls of excess fat means you are overweight, skin strteched over bones says you are OK.

Bluebellwould Thu 10-Sep-20 13:55:25

Your blood glucose levels are fine. Go on the British diabetic society website, that will give you all the information you need. It shows what ranges your blood glucose should be in. You also need a HBA1C blood test which shows your blood glucose for the last three months to know if you are prediabetic or not. I would love to have your levels. Don’t worry.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 10-Sep-20 13:59:22

I would echo what growstuff says. Ask your doctor for a Hb A1c test. This will measure the percentage of sugar attached to your haemoglobin, and show blood sugar levels for the last 2-3 months. Better than just a random check.

I was told I was pre diabetic after such a test, and I am normal weight.. I increased my activity levels, and cut down on carbs. I am now within normal BS range. A raised test is just a wake up call as has been said, not a diagnosis as such.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 10-Sep-20 14:00:15

Sorry crossed post Blurbellwould

Scentia Thu 10-Sep-20 14:03:11

Thanks so much folks.

mrswoo Thu 10-Sep-20 14:12:18

beechnut scentia the course that I did was run by Ingeus on behalf of the NHS Healthier You,Diabetes Prevention programme. I'm in the North East but I'm sure they, or similar, operate nationwide.

Scentia Thu 10-Sep-20 15:08:39

M0nica
Oh if I did that, (stood in front of a mirror in my Bra and Pants) I would definitely say I was overweight, without a doubt. I think it looks like it wouldn't do me any harm, Pre - Diabetic or not, to lose a bit of weight and stop eating so many crisps. I have looked at the Diabetes UK website and salt is definitely something I should cut down on along with Sugar and Starchy Carbs. Mmmm, I have a job on my hands, but if I don't look after me, who else will.
Thankyou everyone for your input it is appreciated.

Greeneyedgirl Thu 10-Sep-20 15:38:59

Scentia I love crisps and a chip if it comes my way, but I don’t buy them, just have on special occasions, ie when eating out. Going onto a diet, especially a calorie controlled diet, is the worst thing you can do, as it is short term. I think any changes you make have to be a permanent way of eating, not a temporary measure, unless you are very overweight, which you say you are not.

Potatoes and bread are no longer part of my regular diet I find that I readily put on a few pounds if they are, and I have increased green veg. Fruit can be very sweet, so I choose which ones I eat. I don’t think there is one size fits all, our bodies react differently to carbs.

Increased activity was important for me, which just means walking a bit more, and I have not been in the pre diabetic range for about 3 years. Simple eh grin

silverlining48 Thu 10-Sep-20 16:37:24

I have just eaten a bag of walkers baked crisps. At least 1.5 stones overweight and am hanging my head and full of shame. Oh but they were nice . Sorry ?

M0nica Thu 10-Sep-20 19:37:36

About six years DH, very over weight and I, 2 stone overweight embarked on the 5:2 diet. We both lost about 2 stone and DH's mild diabetes went into remission. Then he developed cellulitis in his leg and a trapped nerve in his shoulder and was out of action for 6 months and put all the weight back on. Since then it has increased more. Yet his daibetes stays in remission.

So it looks that if you can loose some weight and any diabetes does go into remission, it is highly unlikely to reoccur, no matter what you do thereafter.

growstuff Thu 10-Sep-20 20:23:10

MOnica It depends how much your pancreas has already been affected. It's possible to reduce insulin resistance with exercise, but if the pancreas has already started packing up, diabetes will never be in remission. It can be managed, but it will always be there.

Scentia You really don't have much to worry about. 5.5 is the threshold for pre-diabetes on a finger prick test, but finger prick tests aren't very reliable and blood sugar levels can go up and down all the time. If you're overweight, you just have to follow the healthy lifestyle guidelines for the general public, but more strictly.

I can't really advise on what to eat, as you're vegan. I eat quite a lot of eggs, yoghurt, fish and chicken, but almost no pasta, rice, potatoes, pastry, cakes, biscuits, sweets, tropical fruit. Salt won't affect your blood sugar, although it might affect your blood pressure.

vampirequeen Fri 11-Sep-20 14:15:12

Don't diagnose yourself. If you think you may be borderline or diabetic you need to see your GP.

Floradora9 Fri 11-Sep-20 16:44:18

I have a bag of cheetos every day does not effect my blood sugar neither do crisps in moderation.

PaperMonster Sat 12-Sep-20 17:50:42

Diabetes.co.uk is good for the forums - there are a couple of vegans on there who will help I’m sure. It is a difficult diet for diabetics due to the carbs. Crisps and popcorn are very carby, so they’ll have to go! Also, you might need to revisit your milk substitute, if you have one. I understand the almond drink is the friendliest for diabetics. I’m not overweight and was diagnosed a couple of years ago - we have it going back a few generations in our family. Good luck.

growstuff Sat 12-Sep-20 19:14:16

There are 17.g of carbs in a packet of Walkers crisps, which does not make them very "carby", unless you're on a very low carb diet. They're empty calories because they don't contain much nutrition, apart from the carbs, but worth it if crisps are difficult to give up. On the other hand, if you're trying to lose weight, they should be one for the hit list.

www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/enjoy-food/eating-with-diabetes/diabetes-food-myths/crisps