Gransnet forums

Health

Rectal Cancer

(32 Posts)
TopsyIrene06 Fri 11-Sep-20 12:53:16

These are just the sort of helpful answers I require. Thank you Marydoll for keeping it live.
MOMB yes it's 22 September and I am falling to pieces after all these months of worrying and not being able to get a diagnosis, investigations etc. Paid for 1st private colonoscopy so I suppose I am two weeks in front of where I would have been but COVID has a lot to answer for. Please continue to support me. By the way I have a very supportive family thankfully but they are worried too so I try and suppress my fears to a certain extent.

mumofmadboys Fri 11-Sep-20 12:37:32

Much better year!

mumofmadboys Fri 11-Sep-20 12:36:49

I wish you well TopsyIrene. The surgeons will be well used to ops for rectal cancer. It is fairly common and I'm sure you will be in good hands. Hope you have some family support. Do you have a date for surgery yet? Although surgery and recovery will dominate the next few months, hopefully 2021 will be a much year for you. Take care.

Puddelchen Fri 11-Sep-20 12:20:25

My partner was diagnosed with rectal cancer earlier this year,he has had a lower anterior resection and now has an ileostomy. He’s coped ever so well, as will you. If you are on Facebook there is a really good support group called Ileostomy and Stoma Support Group UK. My partner has now been told he has a 95% chance of complete recovery from the cancer.

sodapop Fri 11-Sep-20 12:14:25

I can understand your fears TopsyIrene I don't have personal experience of this problem but I have a friend who does. My friend had the operation and subsequent treatment, it was uncomfortable and at times she found it embarrassing but that's all. For the last five years she has been cancer free and now only needs a check up every couple of years. My friend is fit and well, enjoying her life and has just returned from a trip to Australia.

Good luck, you will be fine I'm sure thanks

Marydoll Fri 11-Sep-20 11:40:56

Glad to see you managed to post, TopsyIrene. I'm posting to keep it in the active list, in the hope that some one will see this and be able to help. ?

TopsyIrene06 Fri 11-Sep-20 11:34:34

Need support please. After long months of waiting, finally in for an op at the end of the month. I know some of you will know how I feel so I look forward to hearing from you. I am terrified.