Gransnet forums

Health

'Flu vac at pharmacy

(152 Posts)
Teetime Tue 15-Sep-20 11:50:37

We had our 'Flu vaccinations yesterday at Lloyds pharmacy - so easy and quick. They rang us to make an appointment as we had it with them last year and its nice to know that's done and dusted. Our GP surgery has even got stocks of the vaccination in yet. By the way its still NHS at the pharmacy so you dont pay although I think you can at some places.

LullyDully Fri 18-Sep-20 08:08:41

We haven't heard a word from the GP yet. It is always a huge bunfight.

We are off to Boots this afternoon. Just wish there was a vaccine for covid.

RosesAreRed21 Fri 18-Sep-20 09:53:18

I always get mine at our local pharmacy - I can usually walk in and have it done in the slot or make an appt to suit myself - and no waiting around either - brilliant service

Leah50 Fri 18-Sep-20 10:03:32

I've booked at Lloyds for me & frail elderly hubby together. GP's reception told me we'd have to attend on different days at different surgeries, no way I'm paying for 4 taxies!

Griselda Fri 18-Sep-20 10:05:16

Our local pharmacist has done a brilliant service. DH and I who are still isolating were vaccinated over a week ago in our garden and many others in the marquee at the local pub. Livig in a small village has its advantages.

Mauriherb Fri 18-Sep-20 10:14:26

I went to collect my prescription on Saturday and the pharmacist asked if I wanted my flu jab, and did it there and then!

Caro57 Fri 18-Sep-20 10:16:17

Went to pharmacy Yesterday to make an appointment and they said, as it was quiet, how about now - done and dusted, just feel dreadful today but that is always the way.
My GP has seen my about a different matter
DH GP busy looking after his heart failure, changed pacemaker, possible kidney stone, pneumonia and pleural effusion - DH probably taking all the face to face appts!

Torbroud Fri 18-Sep-20 10:17:52

I can't understand they do blood tests but not b12 injections, never heard of flu vaccination yet

Torbroud Fri 18-Sep-20 10:18:27

Should say dr's surgery

hicaz46 Fri 18-Sep-20 10:20:28

We were very lucky as we had ours on September 2nd at Doctors’s surgery. They were certainly on the ball and it was a very efficient system on a day when surgery was empty. In through back door, have jab, then out through front door. Apparently PPE of apron, mask and gloves was changed every 10 patients and of course we were masked. Felt very efficient and safe.

Ailidh Fri 18-Sep-20 10:22:48

I had mine at my pharmacy for the first time last week. There was a notice up saying "Ask us about flu jabs", so I asked and she said, "We can do it now, if you like". So I did.

I've had them for about 5 years for health reasons but this was my first year as an official old git for the over-65 one. Arm hurt immediately, I was hyper trying to get to sleep at night, felt ugh the following day but the day after I felt wonderful. Even if it hadn't resolved into wonderful, it still beats catching the flu ~ bad enough it its own right but I suspect that during a pandemic you don't want to be catching anything that might lower your resistance.

Two friends in two different towns had already been contacted by their surgery but mine has no mention of it yet. Anyway, it felt a lot more hygienic in an otherwise empty pharmacy than whatever queuing system the GPs will be able to offer.

Jan51 Fri 18-Sep-20 10:25:13

DH had a telephone consultation about test results with the doctor on 4th September and doctor told him that they had the flu vaccine and we could book an appointment with the nurse anytime. Haven't done it yet as DH is waiting for further test results so if he needs a face to face appointment with the doctor we don't want to make two seperate journeys to the surgery.

Mollygo Fri 18-Sep-20 10:31:42

Has ours at a drive through at the Uni-after info from the GP practice.
About docs being thin on the ground, I’m still waiting for an injection for something else from MARCH! So far I’ve had 3 phone appointments, one face to face with a doc who ‘didn’t do injections’ and today, a cancellation of my today’s actual Injection appointment with an offer of a phone call next week or an injection appointment in October at a practice 40 miles away. Thanks to the face to face doc I’m on codeine, using diclofenac cream ( both of which say don’t use/take for longer than a fortnight on the packet) and can take paracetamol if I’m still in pain. I wonder if it’s worth the effort.

Craftycat Fri 18-Sep-20 10:34:44

Going later today to surgery.

Petalpop Fri 18-Sep-20 10:35:54

I have got mine next week with the surgery. Got to go round the back to the car park, wear loose clothing and a face mask. Just hope its not raining.

Happysexagenarian Fri 18-Sep-20 10:40:04

Mine is booked at the GPs on the 28th, I'm in the vulnerable category. DH's is booked for 8th October also with GP. GP says they have large stocks of vaccine and plenty of vacant appointments still.

SillyNanny321 Fri 18-Sep-20 10:41:55

GP’s tomorrow morning. Even got text reminder yesterday!

Marmight Fri 18-Sep-20 10:44:13

My surgery won’t make bookings until October so I’m off to Boots in the next village in 12 days time. Sooner rather than later IMO.

Hymnbook Fri 18-Sep-20 10:44:49

I've got to wait until October 23rd. Have to queue up outside surgery in the back door out the front door. Hope the weather isn't too bad. Usually have the jab in September.

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 18-Sep-20 10:46:12

AH! well, DH & I go to the surgery 3rd Ocober for mine.

Granny1London Fri 18-Sep-20 10:47:15

Just to be clear GP surgeries have no control over when their vaccines are delivered by the manaufacturers . Go to a pharmacy by all means but if you go to your GO they may pick up on other things you are entitled to like pneumonia or shingles vaccines

Granny1London Fri 18-Sep-20 10:48:38

Sorry GP

GrannyHaggis Fri 18-Sep-20 10:52:21

Had ours at the GP surgery a fortnight ago. Very well organised, in front door, out the back! Receptionist in entrance hall with sanitiser, thermometer. Considering that our practice is a shambles for day to day appointments etc, I was very impressed with the service!

Nannan2 Fri 18-Sep-20 10:59:36

Ours booked in at boots, better check 17yr old can definitely have it though, as they said so but ive only received 2 reminders,not 3.Mine& elder sons done last yr in boots, younger one had to wait for G.Ps, as he was 16, &not till november, which is probably when G.P will get them this year as well, but by then he's usually had flu.?Boots dont send reminders though, i dont think, so may try Lloyds next year.

ctussaud Fri 18-Sep-20 11:07:01

Your GP can give you the triple strength vaccine (advisable for seniors) but pharmacies can only give you the standard one. Have had mine from GP in a superbly managed trot on foot through the surgery car park.

Nannan2 Fri 18-Sep-20 11:12:55

Well that may be true then Granny1london, but ours always seems to be last in the queue to receive them, so i dont understand why theyve never seen fit to either complain to supplier, or change to a supplier who can actually supply them earlier in season! Everywhere else seems to get them in by october at very latest!& its not like we're in a far flung island or somewhere! When i asked nurse over this years (as she did younger sons pneumonia jab, which id had to BEG for& get consultant to back me up!) she just said, "oh,we dont know when we're getting them yet"-very ineficient i think.?