Gransnet forums

Health

Flu Jab query .

(58 Posts)
Birdwatcher4 Wed 23-Sep-20 11:17:33

What month is the best time to have the jab I have been told the later you have it Oct/Nov is the best time any GN have an opinion .

cornergran Sat 26-Sep-20 19:20:53

Had ours in the car park at our surgery today. Incredibly well organised, no wait at all. We thought it important to accept the surgery invitation. The surgery plan is to offer vaccination to under 60’s from November.

Willow500 Sat 26-Sep-20 18:24:38

I was pleased to get a call from our pharmacy yesterday to say they'd had more stocks delivered so could book us in on Monday after all. Rather relieved!

welbeck Sat 26-Sep-20 18:21:33

anyone who can afford to pay and can find somewhere near to do it, i'd say go get it done asap.

the person whose local chemist is closing, you know you can arrange to have repeats sent to you in the post.
www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/ppc?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_pfMr6qH7AIVRubtCh06DgOIEAAYASAAEgL0aPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Elizabeth1 Sat 26-Sep-20 15:55:11

People in my area are struggling to contact the Nhs to book in a flu jab. I’m fortunate I managed to get one from my local pharmacist who said there’s few supplies going in. But I heard on the radio these supplies will begin to get delivered 1st October and thereafter. Me and my DH received a letter in the post with a contact number however there’s been such an influx of requests the lines went dead.Good luck everyone I’m just pleased to be able to knock this off my worry tick list. Pm me if you need any other information

Xander Sat 26-Sep-20 15:32:13

Had mine this am at community centre, manned by surgery staff.Booked on line via surgery site on recieving a letter two weeks ago.Extreemly impressed by service. Ahead of time slot, Pneumovax also given. Did not feel a thing!!! I had not had a flu vac for last few years but decided I would have anything going this year to reduce health risks!!!!!

blondenana Sat 26-Sep-20 15:07:07

My local chemist is having trouble getting stocks in,
Now that anyone over 50 can have it free she has been inudated with requests for appointments, but of course is taking over 65s first,
She has done one lot and im in the second lot, so sometime in October but no date yet
My Surgery rang me a few weeks ago to se if i wanted to book an appointment, but doing them at the Rugby club which is too far for me as don't drive ,
Local chemist is 5 minutes away so much better for me

chelseababy Sat 26-Sep-20 14:40:47

Mine was due this morning at 9. Lloyd's pharmacy rang about 3.30 yesterday afternoon to say there would be no one there at the allotted time trained to do it! I booked it ages ago! Anyway I had it done at 4.15pm yesterday. They said nothing for under 65s till at least 20 October.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 26-Sep-20 12:59:36

My local Health Centre has advised people over 65 to await a text, letter or phone call with an appointment. Apparently we will have to queue outside in masks, wear a short sleeved top as there will be nowhere to change and have a coat in case it’s freezing!

EllanVannin Sat 26-Sep-20 12:53:21

Mine was on Thursday morning. Somewhat botched as my arm bled, but all was well after a good nights sleep and no soreness. It'll part-protect from the worst ( hopefully ) I wish D would get one as her job is confrontational to all and sundry and with having the children too, one of which goes to a school where a child had tested positive for the infection though only that part of the school is out of bounds so far.

ExD Sat 26-Sep-20 12:41:28

I always have a reaction to any inoculation, and have often wondered why.
When I take my cat or dog to the vet's for a jab, the animal is weighed and the appropriate amount of medication carefully worked out to suit the size of the animal.
However, when both my husband and myself present for a flu jab we receive the same amount in the syringe.
He is 6ft tall and overweight at over 20 stone, I am 4'10" and weigh 7 stone.
I sometimes wonder why we both get the same treatment ..... and he never reacts to the injection but I always do ...... ?

Marydoll Thu 24-Sep-20 07:36:46

I've been getting flu have for years, due to my underlying health conditions, never killed me yet! ?

I take everything which is offered to keep me alive.
I don't always feel great after them, but, every little helps.

Calendargirl Thu 24-Sep-20 06:47:21

Kate1949

We'll I've booked my first one ever for 9th Oct at the pharmacy. I'm very nervous as a relative swears it killed his mother some years ago. She died the day after having it.

She would probably have died anyway.
Coincidence.

FannyCornforth Thu 24-Sep-20 06:43:27

Entitled, not entering.

FannyCornforth Thu 24-Sep-20 06:42:54

I should mention that if you live with someone on the shielding list you are entering to a free vaccination.
I remember the government saying this months ago, but I doubted that anything would come of it.
But lo and behold there was a box to tick to those ends.
The pharmacist hadn't noticed it before and seemed a bit confused.
As I was in a characteristic fluster, I just paid because I just wanted to get out quick!
It was 13 quid at Boots which is a bit steep, only 7 quid at Asda last year.

Willow500 Thu 24-Sep-20 06:33:58

We should have been having ours at the pharmacy today but they rang yesterday and said they'd run out of stocks - the next lot will not be available until 12th Oct. It seems there has been such a rush for vaccines stocks are low all over. They'd been told not to stockpile but only heard yesterday they couldn't have their next allocation - they've already done 12,000!

I feel quite anxious about it as I feel we might now be in danger of not getting it and both of us are over 65 with health problems. More annoying is the fact that our GP surgery rang last week to book us in and I told them we were already booked at the chemist (where we've never had them done before). I will try to ring this morning but fear they will be booked up as well now! So much for all those over 50 getting vaccinated!! hmm

FannyCornforth Thu 24-Sep-20 06:12:20

Re cat vaccinations.
Rosie is having hers next Friday.
It was due about a month ago, but the vet is working through a backlog due to lockdown.
But they said not to worry because the previous year's vaccinations work for at least 15 months.

Juliet27 Thu 24-Sep-20 06:04:57

^ Also, I have booked my cat Tara in early Friday am for her annual injections. She will be thrilled.^
Thanks Charleygirl5 that's reminded me that the dog needs his annual injections and his anal glands checked. The vet will be thrilled!

Grandma2213 Thu 24-Sep-20 03:35:44

I picked up my repeat prescription from my pharmacist and got the flu vaccination at the same time. I usually have it from the GP but haven't been there for 19 months (badly sprained ankle). In the meantime they have moved and I'm not sure where. I don't even know the name of my GP as they change so regularly! Now the pharmacy is about to close and staff sent to other branches. Such a shame as she is a lovely lady and seems to know all her regular customers by name. Are they trying to make it even harder to get medical treatment I wonder? hmm

Marydoll Wed 23-Sep-20 20:34:00

I received a letter today to have my flu jab on 30th September at the local football stadium.

I phoned my GP for advice, as I have been shielding and wondered why I was going there.

He told me it is a national initiative to target people 65 and over and the football stadium will be safer than the surgery, as there will be strict measures in place, with lots of room to space out.

Bellanonna Wed 23-Sep-20 19:38:47

We will be having ours tomorrow too, Charleygirl.

tidyskatemum Wed 23-Sep-20 17:35:04

Our GP's website states that they won't be offering flu jabs to the under 65's until October or November as they are trying to get as many older patients as possible vaccinated first. I called this lunchtime to make appointments for myself and DH and by 3pm we'd both been done!

PECS Wed 23-Sep-20 17:20:09

We had an appointment, for mass flu jab day, from our GP practice for October but as I had to go for a blood test the nurse asked if I wanted the flu vaccine as I was there. That was last Friday. smile

V3ra Wed 23-Sep-20 16:34:37

NonnaW haha yes indeed! It was more that people had come in to ask if they could book an appointment, and were then told they could have it there and then if they could wait for a few minutes. One chap went back to the car to bring his wife in as well. The pharmacy were being very proactive.
I'd gone to pick a prescription up for a friend and they said I could have the vaccination, but I'm under 65 so I have to go back next month.

Charleygirl5 Wed 23-Sep-20 16:07:39

BlueBelle sorry but my pharmacy is only injecting 65 +- nothing to do with freebies.

NonnaW Wed 23-Sep-20 16:01:48

Husband & I had ours yesterday, also both offered the pneumonia jab as well which we both had.
V3ra love the ‘while you wait’ for the vaccination- how else would they expect you to have it? smile